"WorkSafeBC, an official body in the Canadian province of British Columbia, "dedicated to promoting workplace health and safety for the workers and employers of this province” has said that all employees working outdoors on the slopes of Whistler Blackcomb and another BC ski area, Mount Seymour, must wear helmets, although so far the ruling does not extend to other BC resorts.

For the past three years Whistler Blackcomb had required helmet use for snow school staff and recommended helmets for all guests on skis or snowboards, but the resort believed wearing helmets remained a personal choice for guests and non-teaching staff.

The new ruling means lift operators, ski patrol and any employees working on the slopes to wear helmets. Some staff questioned why it is only Whistler Blackcomb and Mount Seymour where the ruling has been made, but others welcomed the move saying lift operators were at risk from overhead snow and ice falling or being skied in to.

A cbc report found that last year Whistler's health care centre dealt with about 800 head injuries from skiers."

I'm surprised they don't make them wear them in Japan.....considering this is a place where the shiny white safety helmet gets wheeled out quick as you like when it rains heavy

The bloke who cut down the trees behind our house didn't wear a helmet. The trees were are about 20 meters high. He had those split-toed soft boots on too.

If I were buying a helmet now, I'd definitely get a MIPS one. Unlike standard helmets, they're designed to stop concussions.

If I were buying a helmet now, I'd definitely get a MIPS one. Unlike standard helmets, they're designed to stop concussions.

A MIPS helmet? I had to look that up. When I'm ever in the market for a new helmet I'll have to remember this.

Tubby, we have two of those U sticks. They look silly don't they? I can imagine the teachers trying to stop the perpetrator by asking him to stand still for a moment while they follow protocol and go get the stick to restrain him. In all likelihood he'll bail before anybody can catch him.

The police tried to catch the gaij who took a swim in the imperial moat a few years ago with one of them!! The news was comedy gold.....7 policeman all grouped behind the U-stick chasing a naked gaijin around the palace grounds!!