Hi guys

First post, and apologises if this has been asked before. I had a bit of a search, but couldn't find anything specific.

I'm off to Japan over Christmas, with 5 days in Hakuba, at Happo One.....and am bouncing off the walls with excitement!!! :D :D :D

My missus will be going to ski school with a friend for the first few days, then after that we'll hopefully be able to ski together. I want to be able to keep in contact with her when shes at ski school, so we can meet up for lunch etc. Just wondering what the best way would be

Walkie-Talkies (2way) I've heard could be an option, but the temperature will affect the batteries, but more importantly...the range won't be good on the mountain. ANyone been there with them, and can confirm if they were useful or not, and even if they worked?

Mobile. I'll be taking my mobile, and was gonna either roam, or get an Japanese SIM for the period i'm there. Again, anyone been to Happo One and used their mobile? How's the coverage?

Thanks guys.

Note that non-Japanese walkie-talkies are illegal in Japan. Australian two-ways in particular interfere with frequencies otherwise allocated in Japan. Most resorts have posters informing of this.

There are still quite a few people using them, though. Chances of getting caught and/or into trouble vary by resort, I guess.

Yeah they are illegal.

Mobiles work in Happo but of course you are going to get black spots where you won't get a signal. If I were you I'd definitely try and et a Japanese phone because roaming charges will be huge

Thanks for the input guys, might go with some walkie talkies for now.

We have 2 days in Kyoto before getting there, so could find some. Or we also have a friend working in a shop in Ski Shop, so he might be able to source some good ones before we arrive.

Cheers folks

Getting a phone in Japan unless you rent one from the airport is a nightmare that I wouldnt advise. It goes a little like

Have Resident card. Register address of Resident Card. Register for National Health Scheme (needed to register address) Pay Fee for NHS. Get Phone.

All done in the 'local' office - i.e in Japanese aka Nihongo.

Pick a time and meet there. Easiest way. Or pick up a tourist 30 days data only sim and use viber, line or skype.

Where do you buy a tourist prepaid data SIM from?

i had one the past year, you can buy it online from their website and get it shipped to your accomodation. It's from Bmobile, it costs around 40$ for two weeks, here's the link http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html

You can collect it at the airport with a small extra fee, but you have to buy it in advance anyway.

The service is smooth and it pretty much saved my life, in the mountain i didn't use it but when i was visiting the country you can figure out how many times i needed maps, timetables and stuff...