Hi folks thankyou for all the suggestions.

Innsbruck maybe?.

now there is an idea.

I have never been but IT guy at cubs school (who takes the prep ski trip in Oz each year) spends every Dec/Jan in Innsbruck. Exactly that reason - he is a ski nut....Mrs is a non skier but loves the Alpine lifestyle. Must be OK for the Mrs if they go back every year.

• Like 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Niseko.   Because.

now there is an idea.I have never been but IT guy at cubs school (who takes the prep ski trip in Oz each year) spends every Dec/Jan in Innsbruck. Exactly that reason - he is a ski nut....Mrs is a non

Yes MB we spent just 4 days there a few years back - there are plenty of different resorts around including one with a funicular heading straight up hill from near the old town centre. We stayed in a pub built in the 13th century - fricking amazing feeling coming from such a young country like ours.

As far as doing the season in Japan - that would probably be my first choice but unlikely as Mrs SJ has never been to Japan and is not real good with languages.

Ok, if Mrs SnowJunky is not real good with languages, how about... Burlington, Vermont?

Greater Burlington has about the same population as Innsbruck, is close to Montreal, almost as close to Boston, and a quick flight to New York City, for some great getaway options for her. And they do speak English there (sort of).

Of course it's New England, so you're not looking at powder paradise. But a bunch of well-known ski areas like Stowe, Mad River Glen, Sugarbush, Killington and Lake Placid, NY (1980 winter olympics) in reach.

Just a thought.

Park City, Utah, USA

Plenty of shops & restaurants.

Sundance Film Festival

Great scenery

Bands play the valley

Vibrant arts community in Salt Lake City approx. 45 mins away

Salt Lake City airport approx. 45 mins away. Access to non-snow destinations for weekends away

Park City, Utah, USA

Plenty of shops & restaurants.

Sundance Film Festival

Great scenery

Bands play the valley

Vibrant arts community in Salt Lake City approx. 45 mins away

Salt Lake City airport approx. 45 mins away. Access to non-snow destinations for weekends away

I'd listen to Mike on a subject like this!

:thumbsup:

How about Seattle? Thats got a few resorts close by and Vancouver/Whistler isn't too far away to switch things up with SJ skiing and Mrs SJ hanging in the city

Another good suggestion.

Seattle's a great city where you can legitimately live a city / mountain hybrid life.

Alpental, Steven's Pass, Snoqualamie about an hour from downtown.

Crystal and Baker about 3 hrs.

Whistler and the Oregon resorts perfect for long weekends.

For your OP, I think Europe fits the bill far better than anywhere in N.America.

Innsbruck might be ideal if you're talking about a full 3- or 4-month season.

Plenty to do for her, and some pretty good skiing right around the town, I've heard (seems they had an Olympics or two there).

You could even day-trip to St Anton in an hour, or Kitzbuhel in 90 mins. Doubt either of you would get bored.

I like Tubby's suggestions of Salzberg & Turin as well, though Turin would be a long trip to the slopes.

Might be some intriguing possibilities in eastern Europe, Croatia/Slovenia/Slovakia.

Banff would be great for you, but doubt there's enough there to keep a non-skier sane during the -30 days.

I wouldn't recommend Denver. You'd both need cars to do anything, and day skiing via I-70 would get very old, very soon.

Vancouver would be better for the Mrs, but commuter skiing to Whistler wouldn't be a lot of fun.

Salt Lake/Park City better for you, less so for her.

Tahoe might work if she really likes outdoors, stay away from South Lake Tahoe, though.

How about Seattle? Thats got a few resorts close by and Vancouver/Whistler isn't too far away to switch things up with SJ skiing and Mrs SJ hanging in the city

Another good suggestion.

Seattle's a great city where you can legitimately live a city / mountain hybrid life.

Alpental, Steven's Pass, Snoqualamie about an hour from downtown.

Crystal and Baker about 3 hrs.

Whistler and the Oregon resorts perfect for long weekends.

Lots of great options up here in Seattle. You ridden around here MikePow?

Nice! Glad you enjoyed your time here.

Snoqualmie is nothing great, but the convenience of it only being ~45 minutes from Seattle is nice. It means you can pop up there for some turns after work if you want.

Tragically I've only been to Baker twice but it's been super deep both times. Making it a priority to get there again this season.

Muika - I don't think it'd be worth it coming all the way from Japan just to ride Seattle area mountains. Whistler is not that much farther away (~4 - 6 hours drive depending on traffic and how long the border crossing takes) and is probably worth it in terms of an international trip. Of course if you're in the area for something else then I'd say it's worth taking a few days to poke around.

I spent a few weekends at Baker trying to ski (before I switched to a sideway stance) with work mates from Seattle whilst I was there for a qualifying program. Nice mountain, pity I couldn't ski well.

I think they hold the world record for snowfall for one season, 28.96m.

The average is 17.9m

I'm sure mt grandview would smash this record if they ever bothered to keep records...