I'd be interested in hearing anyone's take on the pros and cons of different routes up (and down) Yotei San.

I've never made the peak, but I've gone as far as the alpine (bluebird when we started, puking when we got to tree-line :frown:) starting from the the makkari side.

The other approaches I've heard of are from Hangetsu-ko on the Hirafu side. I'm guessing you could also start from somewhere just north of Kimobetsu too. I guess it's all a matter of knowing which plowed roads give the closest approach. I've also heard of people doing the "double car" where you position one car at a different point from your start point.

Anyone like to share any of their Yotei experiences including routes up and down, times, hazards (yes I am aware of the avalanche danger)?

I've done the Kyogoku route, but only in the summer. I believe its one of the shortest, but steepest routes to the top. It was certainly straight into a steep hike, which was consistently so all the way up. It was about 3, or 3 and a half hours up.

Heading down this weekend and will hike from the Kutchan route which I believe is longer, but a bit more mellow gradient wise. Hoping for some nice weather!

Magseven, pics please. Climbing yotei when no (not much) snow is definitely something I want to do. Awesome.

Hope you get good weather too!

Here are a few pics from a couple of years ago. Hiked towards the end of September from the Kyogoku side.

Day started off bluebird. Pic from the trailhead:

med_gallery_11253_201_368980.jpg

View from the crater rim. Clouds had rolled in by the time we reached the summit.

med_gallery_11253_201_499044.jpg

Looking down at Shiribetsudake and Rusutsu

med_gallery_11253_201_715027.png

At the moment, the weather isn't looking too favourable for this weekend. Fingers crossed it'll be ok. If we do it, I'll post any pics I get!

Magseven, pics please. Climbing yotei when no (not much) snow is definitely something I want to do. Awesome.

Hope you get good weather too!

Here are a few pics from a couple of years ago. Hiked towards the end of September from the Kyogoku side.

Day started off bluebird. Pic from the trailhead:

med_gallery_11253_201_368980.jpg

View from the crater rim. Clouds had rolled in by the time we reached the summit.

med_gallery_11253_201_499044.jpg

Looking down at Shiribetsudake and Rusutsu

med_gallery_11253_201_715027.png

At the moment, the weather isn't looking too favourable for this weekend. Fingers crossed it'll be ok. If we do it, I'll post any pics I get!

Wow looks different without snow