We are heading to japan in late january for two weeks, and there seems to be a flood of information on many, many amazing ski spots. In fact, there are so many options and so much information that it is overwhelming! Thought I'd create a thread to help clarify/simplify things for me.

we have been boarding for a few years and can say we are strong intermediate boarders (can do advanced slopes with difficulty but will conquer them soon!!!) However - we have only boarded Australia/NZ (packed snow/ice/slush), and once in pow when we went heliboarding. Helib was a struggle for the first run when we were getting used to all the pow, however we absolutely loved it and after this we just had had had to get more pow. Therefore, Japan.

After some research, we have decided on one of two options:

1. Honshu - Nozawa, Hakuba, Myoko Kogen; or

2. Hokkaido - Niseko, Rusutsu, Kiroro

Which of the two options would be better for the last two weeks of January? We would like a little nightlife as well - a few restourants/bar to relax after boarding.

I really want to minimise chances of really bad days where you can't see/ride/fog/gale winds etc. I know weather is unpredictable however, are we more likely to get better days in honshu area at this time of year? I would hate to book accom, and travel all the way north to be hit with days of harsh weather and unridable conditions. Conversely, also hate to get there and snow is icy/slushy. Both have scenarios have happened to us previously in NZ and it was the biggest disappointment !!

Also, there seems to be a lot of accomodation right at the foot of the chairlifts, is it a better option to stay at these places or should we stay in the main city and then bus it in each morning? at home we always stay in the towns about 30mins-1hr drive from the slopes because there's not much available on the mountain. Would be fantastic to be able to wake up and walk to the lifts.

Should accomodation be booked now? We usually just like to show up and come and go as we please, but will this work in Japanese ski resorts? I'm sure this would be fine for Tokyo and major Japanese cities, but I am not too sure about the ski resorts?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice, hopefully I don't sound too clueless :)

Can't wait for January !!!!

The 2 options you've chosen are both fantastic.....the Honshu option isn't really viable as day trips from one base area (you CAN do it, but it would take a bit of time esp if u don't have a car), but the Hokkaido option is doable from one base ie Niseko. There really isn't anything at Rusutsu and AFAIK Kiroro except the resort hotels, so day trips from Niseko is perfect. Village is great for after dark shenanigans. That said, both Hakuba and Nozawa are good at night time too, Hakuba has many bars and restaurants to choose from and Nozawa is a year round village which will tick off the "Japanese feel" if that's ur thing. Myoko has less stuff going on at night but there are a couple of low key options.....so if you were going to base yourself in each village area for a few days while you ride then you'd get a great variance of places to visit....but you really need a car IMO to make travel between H, Noz and Myoko viable. That time of year SHOULD be rocking with snow everywhere. It all depends on what u want out of ur trip.

I would absolutley book my accomodation in advance, contact the local tourist office of the area where you wish to stay, they will offer you any help you need and handle your accomodation booking.

Also you are probably not aware that Febuary 9 is a holiday weekend in Japan and accomodation is extremely difficult to find in some popular areas. So book now!!!

Just some personal experience, I have had absolutely no problem getting accommodation (for friends) in late January in Hakuba and Myoko.

Weekends are more difficult than weekdays of course but there's lots and lots of places wanting your business.

Same here in this part of Niigata (Yuzawa/Minamiuonuma).

I would like to see what would happen to these guys if they turned up in myoko,nozowa, or hakuba on febuary 8 with no accomodation booked. I stand by my previous post.

We are heading to japan in late january for two weeks

February 8th isn't in late January.

Not on my calendar anyway.

February 8th does happen to be perhaps one of the top three weekends of the season and so yes that particular date is a difficult one in many places (not just Nozawa, Hakuba, Niseko Book Now!!!).

Would be worrying if it wasn't.

Hmm.....didn't see the deleted post but I had some good coffee in the wadano area at gakuto lodge. I wasn't staying there but we stopped in during a snowstorm on the way home and was mighty nice. I'm sure you can get nice coffee in a number of places in Hakuba

Just deleted a post.

No self promotions please on these Forums.

Thanks.

For people new to the Forums, or in need of a bit of a refresher

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php?/topic/20521-snowjapanforums-guidelines-the-basics/

;)

Just out of interest, do you see more of this in the run up to and during a season?

• SnowJapan Admin

Oh yes, absolutely.

It's an annual sign that the winter is approaching.

:lol:

A few regulars come out of the woodwork.... some new people come on and have a go....

I kind of prefer the blatant ones in a way, they are much easier to deal with.

The more cunningly planned "what, me?!?!" types are altogether more difficult!

I really want to minimise chances of really bad days where you can't see/ride/fog/gale winds etc. I know weather is unpredictable however, are we more likely to get better days in honshu area at this time of year?

The answer to that is... yes.

based on some of your suggestions and additional research I will book some accommodation before we leave in hakuba (4 -5nights) and nozawa (3 nights). we will work out the rest of our accomodation on arrival. we will probably just catch the train between tokyo-hakuba-nozawa, i think these mountains are meant to be accessible using public transport

hokkaido region we will leave for next time when we can come in late feb or early march another year.

:) thanks for your help!