Anyone got any good ideas re: a decent chair for working at a desk?

Something better than the crappy plastic thing in the office where I work!

There's so many, and some that are well expensive as well.

I know close to nothing about chairs.

We got our office chairs from Nittori. Nice leather reclining chairs on wheels - great for zooming across the floor.

I don't recall how we paid but I am sure it was under 20,000yen.

I think Costco do a similar chair.

I've got a brilliant chair in my 'office' room.

It's more comfortable than the sofa, got loads of knobs on it and settings.

It was fairly expensive, though can't remember the name etc, will take a look.

If you're sitting on it lots, get a good one.

I bought a very nice and quite expensive office chair many years ago with various levers to adjust height recline posture angle head rest angle and height as well as seat recline backwards and forwards.

Was great while it lasted.

Was something like just a couple of years of years or so and the shock absorber that adjusts the seat height broke and then it was stuck on always low.

My conclusion was never buy a chair with too many functions.

I too need to buy a new office chair for my new house but I will be keeping it simple this time and going for something that is comfortable and longer lasting than too adjustable.

Here's another question!

On the chair I'm thinking of getting, I have 2 options for casters.... the option that is suitable for flooring is I see is called "soft" and made of ポリウレタン巻 (Polyurethane roll)

I want to be fairly confident that I don't scratch my floors from the go, anyone wise enough to let me know if above will be ok?

:)

I remember watching a documentary on TV called "24". In that, there were lots of people in high tech looking offices using computers like that, standing up.

It looked quite cool, but I can imagine that your legs would get tired doing that all day every day.

I think the idea is to mix it up. Stand for some, sit for some.

I know a few people who use a Fitball as an office chair, as it continues to activate muscles and you can fidget and bounce around on it a bit which lessens fatigue of totally sedentary muscles.

Here's another question!

On the chair I'm thinking of getting, I have 2 options for casters.... the option that is suitable for flooring is I see is called "soft" and made of ポリウレタン巻 (Polyurethane roll)

I want to be fairly confident that I don't scratch my floors from the go, anyone wise enough to let me know if above will be ok?

Mine has that kind of rollers on it.

There are close to no scratches on the flooring.

I don't move about roughly though, I suppose I am careful.

Here's another question!

I'm thinking that however soft the casters are, they will inevitably pick up some hard grains of something or other, turning the casters into studded tires. So, an office chair mat, or bit of carpet, or a square of vinyl flooring from the nearest home center, would seem to be called for if you absolutely don't want to scratch the floors.

Can you recommend a good one?

I tried that with a chair previously and it was a right pain. Didn't stay flat, looked bad....

Go to a home center and look for vinyl flooring. It comes in various patterns, such as fake wood, or tile or flowers. Pick something not too offensive, and buy a piece big enough for your purposes (they are in giant rolls, so you just tell them what length you want). Nearby there should be vinyl flooring tape, which is not really adhesive but will at least keep the vinyl piece stuck to the floor and prevent it from sliding around. If you are feeling fancy, you can get some plastic edging and attach it to the vinyl flooring with double-sided tape.

I bought a clear plastic cover 'mat'. Better than it sounds. Once you get the damn thing flat, it works well and doesn't look bad. Better than getting scratches on your new floor, anyway.