When hit the Superpipe yesterday. There were 3 lines of people waiting to enter it.2 lines of people waiting to drop-in. 1 line of people riding in(entering the ditch from the flat part) If you can`t drop into the Superpipe why aren`t practising to in the regular pipe.Any ideas?

Just got back from my first day of riding in Japan at Nozawa Onsen. Cool place, but one thing I noticed that was different was the way everyone lined up for the pipe. I guess it makes sense but I don't like it. People queue right up to where they drop. I would much rather just sit on a launch runway, strapped in, then just drop when I am ready and there is an opportunity. Plus I prefer to get speed up before dropping.

I guess I oughtta put together a member page with some other observations now that I am here and all.

Superpipes are pretty good for people learning to ride pipe. Nice big smooth and even transitions. Smaller pipes tend to be a be a bit too vertical too quick making it hard for learner pipe riders to hold an edge. Let em go in the center if they want they are probably getting just as stoked as the more experienced people dropping in. If they werent having fun they wouldnt be lining up there. Everybody was a begginer some time.

(by the way I have no problem dropping in.... or waiting for learners to have a go.)

OK,

so where are the super pipes? - I want to ride one... I hear they're good for beg's and advanced.....

Apparently there's one near Yuzawa area?

BTW,

Asagi has 5 lollipops -numbered 1 - 5 at the top of the pipe, you queue by your loli - and when the rotation gets to you you go! - better than the ole skating of the ramps - droping in and snaking people.... etc, etc...

A superpipe is about 15 high from ground to the lip. It is like a big Quarter pipe but a halfpipe.

I dont believe its for begginers.

If you want to go big you can. Just takes courage to go into it with speed.

I dont mind lining up I hate it when people drop in where and when they want.

2 lines is enough

I should clarify what I meant by begginers. I mean begginer pipe riders not beginner snowboarders. I wouldnt imagine riding the pipe would be much fun for an absolute beginner snowboarder.

As long as you can get down the pipe at about the same speed as evrybody else I dont care where you want to drop in as long as you wait your turn. Resort managers should make sure some kind of sensible queing system exists.

Last year I went and rode the Makomanai pipe the day after the world cup. Everybody was up there, massive crowd. Most people were pretty good about queing but there were one or two clowns who thought they had the right to drop in as soon as they'd hiked up. These dudes were going the biggest and had heads to match. The Japanese didnt say a word but I just walked up and asked them to kindly line up with everybody else which they did. They tried their best to look intimidating everytime they saw me after that but, I was quite happy practising my small straight airs.

Last week I saw a little girl riding the Makomanai pipe she was about 7 Id say. pretty good little ripper too, she wasnt dropping in but I thought It was cool to see the little kids having a go. She only did one run and did well I thought. I hope she didnt get bad vibes and thats why she left.

Peace in the pipe for all riders !!!!

Most super pipes are 17'-18' with some of the new prototype dragons(there is another name) now doing 20'-22' walls, but these have only been tested at a few select resorts.... I would agree that super pipes have alot more tranny for "begginer" pipe riders but I don't think they should be there (makes for a very dangerous situation) until they get a good grasp on the ways of the normal pipe....

Been in J-land for 2 months and still the only riding I've done is mexican snowboarding (standing on a sled) at the local dry hill in the public.. mad.gif