It's time for the goggles thread.

I'm coming into it as a newby and really not sure what the big differences between 2000 yen and 20000 yen goggles is.

Can anyone simply tell me the important things to look for, and what sort of price point is good for someone who just wants some decent goggles (nothing too fancy, but nothing rubbish)?

dont cheap out. theyre one of the most important pieces of equipment imo.

im a massive fan of oakleys. dont get dragons, i made the switch because of their fancy looking no frame lens but theyre the worst goggles ive owned. going back to oakleys asap.

try them on, with and without helmet. see which are comfy.

agree with ozsnowbum, boots > goggles > gloves > skis/board > everything else

ever tried to board/ski with your eyes closed?

i dont think you need to go crazy, but i think you would regret not getting a decent pair. any research you do will be rewarding.

I definitely choose the lens color I want first, and go from there. I see these poor tourists getting around Niseko with the dark brown reflective lenses. Colorado yes, but not here!

oh, and make sure its dual lens not some cheapo ripoff, and obviously an anti fog coating.

ive seen some crazy wayyy overpriced big name brands with models named after their favorite star (eg, Shaun White n stuff). i would be very wary of their advertising.

i still love my zeal sppx goggles (photochromic - the ones that change color based on how bright it is), no matter the conditions theyre perfect. well, almost, id warn you that they are really realy sensitive to fogging if you take them off at all on those -20 windy January days. i got both my sets about 5 years apart, each for about $150US + postage.

Disagree re dragon.....goggles are different for everyone due to the difference in shape of our faces. One brand that fits snugly for some won't for others. Go try a bunch on, see what fits ur face best. You want as snug a fit as possible with no gaps, this will minimise fogging.

If you have an old pair that fog up easy, you can reuse them by spraying a little WD-40 in the inside and buffing it out over the interior...that is all a fancy anti-fog agent does...it's a hydrophobic liquid that coats the inside of the lens

Have just invested in some smith io's. They get good reviews online as do oakley - hope they perform as they were (I believe) pricey but may be if I didn't stack they wouldn't fog up. Took a bit of a punt with fit with head/ helmet. Have bought a few cheapies from aldi to compare but will be carrying a spare pair. One word of advice - dont leave them too close/ long on heater at lunch or end of day. The lenses may warp and you could be making an offering to the snow gods.

Disagree re dragon.....goggles are different for everyone due to the difference in shape of our faces. One brand that fits snugly for some won't for others. Go try a bunch on, see what fits ur face best. You want as snug a fit as possible with no gaps, this will minimise fogging.

If you have an old pair that fog up easy, you can reuse them by spraying a little WD-40 in the inside and buffing it out over the interior...that is all a fancy anti-fog agent does...it's a hydrophobic liquid that coats the inside of the lens

its got nothing to do with the fit, its the design. the APX are terrible for fogging and rain and ive met 3 other people whove said the same on the same day we wore them. other dragons might be better.

Which has to do with the fit.....if there are gaps between ur skin and the foam then ur gonna get fogging. You don't like dragons, it's cool but I think they are fine and I also "have spoken to others who've said the same". It's all opinions :p

i never ever think about goggles because eg2's are pretty much perfect.

i would also argue that ive snowboarded plenty in boots that havent exactly fitted like a glove and still had a blast. If ive got shitty goggles on though im having a shitty day.

goggles=boots>everything else. :)

Never heard of that one. Thanks TB

By the way I have only bought 2 pair googles in the last 7 years and I ski 100+ days per season. I use Uvex.

Which has to do with the fit.....if there are gaps between ur skin and the foam then ur gonna get fogging. You don't like dragons, it's cool but I think they are fine and I also "have spoken to others who've said the same". It's all opinions :p

no. its the poor venting at the top of the APX design. me asian face and my white buddy and 2 girls is plenty of variety to exclude fit.

i love the way they look, theyre just a major disappointment over my oakley crowbars and eg2s.

For those who have the the eg 2s, do you ride wearing a helmet? If so, are the eg 2s OK? I know there size is a plus re vision but what about fitting with a helmet?

Mine fitted beautifully with my helmet. It was like they were designed in conjunction with it (maybe k2 and eg2 have a relationship - i should research but on a quest to research nothing at all this year). Pity i trashed that helmet before coming to thailand (no space to put it in bags). It took me ages to find one i actually liked :)

Know nothing of eg2.5s im afraid.

• Like 1

Have just invested in some smith io's. They get good reviews online as do oakley - hope they perform as they were (I believe) pricey but may be if I didn't stack they wouldn't fog up. Took a bit of a punt with fit with head/ helmet. Have bought a few cheapies from aldi to compare but will be carrying a spare pair. One word of advice - dont leave them too close/ long on heater at lunch or end of day. The lenses may warp and you could be making an offering to the snow gods.

I bought some Smith IOs before our last trip - fogged up really bad on any bad weather days. In fact, one day i had a full layer of ice over the inside of the lens. Will be going back to Dragon personally, haven't had a problem with their entry level goggles previously. I hope you have better luck with your IOs Rucky Inu, but if you still have your old pair, take em just in case.