• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I went to Niseko for 4 weeks and ended up staying over 7 years....

Wouldn't stop a real powderhound. Now, ProjectileDiarrhea...rides solo!

Without bc experience you will be limited there and shouldnt try to venture too far from the trails alone. I would spend a week there, you probably shouldnt.   IMO you should hit less spots, keep

it makes a bit more sense logistically in this order

Thanks buddy! Checked the JR timetables and you're right. So, with a minor tweak, I present my silly odyssey:

Jan 25 to 29 Hakuba

Jan 30 to Feb 2 Myoko Kogen

Feb 4 to 6 Zao

Feb 7 to 9 Appi Kogen

Feb 10 Hakkoda

Feb 12 Sapporo Kokusai

Feb 14 to 15 Furano

Feb 16 to 17 Kamui Links

Feb 19 to 21 Kiroro

Feb 22 to 24 Rutsuru

Feb 25 to Mar 10 Niseko

I know I'm floating around like a lost dog, but I'm really keen to work in Japan for a couple of years, and with the exception of Nozawa Onsen, I think I've hit up pretty much every big resort in the country. Will definitely factor into my final decision on where to live :D

If anyone is around for any part of this, I'd love the company. Cheers for the offer Seemore - if the dates suit you, I'll take you up on it.

score....maybe thats his plan, no one in the gondola with him ;)

Ugh - I've used the nick online since I was 13 (half a lifetime ago!) and I'm yet to get comfortable with anything less juvenile!

I promise I won't stink out the hooded chair.

One last Q - how big of a deal is Hakkoda? Looks like I'll have to go out of my way for it.

Depending on the review, it's either god's gift to snowboarding, or a shitty scam for the overstoked. I'll be going on Feb 10th, so winter will still be in full swing.

Hakkoda might be epic or it might be a white out on the day you go there. You just cant pick it.

I definately wouldnt travel on your route without hitting it, i would probably spend a week there

Just for reference you will be doing 12 days of travelling between places? (11 resorts and 1 extra day to get back to somewhere.)

Actually I'm trying to do most of my travelling at night. I think about 3 days of travel are in there, but the rest are days off.

All this boarding will be hard work! :D

Hakkoda might be epic or it might be a white out on the day you go there. You just cant pick it.

I definately wouldnt travel on your route without hitting it, i would probably spend a week there

Jeez, a week? It's that good eh?

I've never done backcountry before, and I'll be solo for that part of the trip, so everything I've read says I'll need a guide to tackle Hakkoda. Are they right or can I have some fun on the cheap by myself after the first day?

Secondly, are you sure I should still make time for it? You've said a week, but that means I'll have to drop a couple of places. What about 2-3 days for it? If you think it's worth dropping another place for it, what should I drop?

Without bc experience you will be limited there and shouldnt try to venture too far from the trails alone.

I would spend a week there, you probably shouldnt.

IMO you should hit less spots, keep it to honsu or hokkaido. Trying to do too much will just wear you out mentally.

I have road tripped hokkaido last season so i can give you my thoughts in more detail by pm if you like.

• Like 1

Even if coming from different experience (one month in Niseko with a handful of day trip) i completely agree with gozaimaas. Less spots, more fun. Or you'll find yourself too much on the move, packing stuff day after day, and as a solo traveler you won't have time to know the good runs in each spot and meet people that can show you the marvelous backcountry options Japan has on offer.

You may object you have no problems on moving so much, but for the solo riding part either you have tons of money to spend on guides, or you need time to know the terrain and meet people to ride with.

Or you can just ride groomers and not much more.

Uh, and about your schedule, from what i've heard it's probably better to hit Niseko in february and central Hokkaido in early march, that way you could go to Asahidake wich is better in march, less stormy but still pristine snow due to geographic position and altitude

• Like 1

Absolutley agree with last two comments. This is season 3 for me in niigata, season 1 rode the lifts, season 2 took my touring gear and and scratched the surface on terrain potential.

This winter less lifts, more human powered skiing. Hope the weather cooperates.

Fewer places and more time in each - okey dokey! Appreciate the advice :thumbsup: My revised tour:

25 to 29 Jan Hakuba (4 days)

29 Jan to 2 Feb Myoko Kogen (4 days)

4 to 6 Feb Zao Onsen (3 days)

7 to 9 Feb Appi Kogen (3 days)

10 Feb Hakkoda (1 day - tour)

13 to 16 Feb Furano (4 days)

17 to 19 Feb Kiroro (3 days)

20 to 24 Feb Rusutsu (5 days)

25 Feb to 10 Mar Niseko (14 days)

Prior to 4th of Feb and after 26th of Feb I'll have company on those mountains, so they're not flexible. But I really wanted to see Tohoku, and it sounds like Fura/Kiro/Rusu all have something unique on offer. So, with the risk of a white-out at Hakkoda, I'll stick to gambling a day on it. I've never done backcountry before either, and the tour isn't super cheap.

Any further tweaks before I pull the pin on accom? So excited! :sjcool: