I've just pulled the pin on my life

Can you explain what that means?

Making a big change or something?

Yeah! I came into Telstra straight from Uni, 6 years ago. Had some pretty good times, but I've decided to quit and have a huge overseas trip before I'm too crusty to do it!

It's also pretty easy to get institutionalised - need some time to learn to be human again.

I'd agree that if it's japanese immersion you're after then Niseko won't really be the best place. As GN says there are plenty places in Hokkaido accessible without individual transport.....base yourself in Sapporo and you could easily access Teine, Kokusai and Kiroro, as well as Rusutsu, Niseko, Furano and Kamui.

Yeah! I've been doing some reading since I originally posted, and I was coming around to the idea of making the trip south, to see Shiga Kogen, Nozawa and Hakuba valley. But, if Hokkaido has more than enough adventures by itself...

Does anyone have any example itineraries for just the north island? I find that, along with transport problems, figuring out how long to spend somewhere the most difficult part. Some people rave about Chisenupuri for example, and only after doing some research do you find out that it only has one lift. Copying someone's well thought-out guided tour takes the guesswork out of it.

Really keen if anyone has ideas on how long to spend in each big resort, and especially if there's a specific bus to catch from one to another.

Anyway i'm still thinking about what to do this year. Moving by public transportation is not the easiest way, let's say you base yourself in Sapporo (one of my options as well), you'll never get to Kiroro or other resorts in time for first chair if you don't have a car.

I've only done Aussie resorts and Lake Tahoe (USA), and if you're not there for first tracks on them, forget it. I'm starting to get the idea that Japan is totally different though.

I was going to write off staying in Rusutsu, Kiroro and Tomamu, and maybe just do a day trip to each, because the accommodation looks super expensive for a solo. At the same time though, people rave about them, so they're probably worth more than just one day. Ideas guys?

Anyway if you opt for some car danchi and need someone to share the van drop me a line!

Man, I would love to do this! Yes please!!

My only worry is that if I hike around, I'm not going to have anywhere to sleep! Everyone's saying 'BOOK NOW' etc - how busy does it get outside of Niseko? I want to do it on the cheap, but spending a night without accommodation would be kinda shitty! I really have no keen desire to freeze to death, or to pay a $200/night walk-in rate.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I went to Niseko for 4 weeks and ended up staying over 7 years....

Wouldn't stop a real powderhound. Now, ProjectileDiarrhea...rides solo!

Without bc experience you will be limited there and shouldnt try to venture too far from the trails alone. I would spend a week there, you probably shouldnt.   IMO you should hit less spots, keep

you need to book now. seriously or you wont get a bed..

You could stay in Niseko and do day bus trips to Rusutsu and Kiroro.

And Furano you can get to Kamui and Tomamu on day trips.

And Sapporo you can get to Teine and a few others. ??

So there is an itinerary. Niseko, Sapporo, Furano.

transport. easy.

Sapporo - Niseko by train.

Sapporo to Furano by bus or train.

Another alternative is to spend a few days in Otaru and ski Kiroro . there is a bus from the terminal. There are a few resorts around Otaru. not sure what they are like.

Also can base at Asahikawa and get to Kamui and maybe Asahidake. ??

Those options cover a large part of the skiing in Hokkaido.

Is accommodation REALLY that tight in Niseko?? I know for anywhere else there is no need to BOOK NOW!!, except for peace of mind that you have digs.

I just checked a few and the cheaper beds are gone and they are filling up..

for example at Shizenkan, four out of five dorms are full for week after 20/12 and Hirafu Backpackers has only a 3 person room left.. dorm is full.

First: flights

Second: hotel accomdation

agree.

We often make a decision one or two weeks before and just go.

But have found it difficult to do that if the destination is Niseko. Anywhere in peak period (and it is usually Christmas New Year that we do this spontaneous thing) is difficult to get accomodation to suit your requirements.

Flights then accomodation in most cases yes, but I would recommend scoping accomodation FIRST.

After realizing Niseko was an impossibility last Christmas we booked flights into Geneva. Lots of resorts from there...we are not fussy..just needed a boardercross track and park for the small one to train on. Easy!....?... Ummm no...not so easy. We ended up with great accomodation, great fun had in Chamonix and Tignes BUT we only secured the accomodation a matter of DAYS before we flew out. I was seriously worried we would be building a snow cave :lol:

Spontaneity is awesome though. You tend to go places you didn't consider because the ones you did are full. You tend to stay at hotels/styles of accomodation you didn't first consider as the first thoughts were full. It is an adventure.

Is accommodation REALLY that tight in Niseko?? I know for anywhere else there is no need to BOOK NOW!!, except for peace of mind that you have digs.

I just checked a few and the cheaper beds are gone and they are filling up..

for example at Shizenkan, four out of five dorms are full for week after 20/12 and Hirafu Backpackers has only a 3 person room left.. dorm is full.

First: flights

Second: hotel accomdation

agree.

That may well be true KD, but don't the Japanese places hold rooms back for the Japanese travel agents?? When looking at places I've found that it appears all places are full yet my missus can still book us into a place in the same price range because she's done it thru a Japanese travel agent.

So there is an itinerary. Niseko, Sapporo, Furano.

Those options cover a large part of the skiing in Hokkaido.

Thank you!! I'm pulling together an itinerary now, based on both this, and the chance of getting to Zao and Appi Kogen. :D

Thank you!! I'm pulling together an itinerary now, based on both this, and the chance of getting to Zao and Appi Kogen. :D

fly into Asahikawa. bus to Furano,

bus to Sapporo

bus to Niseko

train to Aamori -> Morioka/hachimantai - > Appi Kogen (check this, never been down here)

train to Sendai/Yamagata -> Zao

then out from Tokyo.

Ok I've come up with the below - would anyone recommend any changes?

Jan 25 to 29 Hakuba (5 days)

Jan 30 to Feb 2 Myoko Kogen (4 days)

Feb 4 to 6 Zao (3 days)

Feb 7 to 9 Appi Kogen (3 days)

Feb 10 Hakkoda (1 day)

Feb 12 Sapporo Kokusai (1 day)

Feb 14 to 16 Rutsuru (3 days)

Feb 17 to 18 Furano (2 days)

Feb 19 to 20 Kamui Links (2 days)

Feb 21 Asahidake (1 day)

Feb 22 to 24 Kiroro (3 days)

Feb 25 to Mar 10 Niseko (14 days)

Basically, keen to know if I'm spending too much or too little time somewhere.

You like to be on the move dont you lol

IMO it makes a bit more sense logistically in this order

Hakuba (5 days)

Myoko Kogen (4 days)

Zao (3 days)

Appi Kogen (3 days)

Hakkoda (1 day)

Furano (2 days)

Kamui Links (2 days)

Asahidake (1 day)

Sapporo Kokusai (1 day)

Kiroro (3 days)

Rusutsu (3 days)

Niseko (14 days)

Awww. Someone told me Rusutsu was the promised land :(

Powderhounds loves it, but I'm not going with enough people to be confident off-piste.

Speaking of which, would there be a backcountry community I could lean on? I'm really keen to try it, but I'm solo for so long that I'm doubting it would be worth buying the equipment. Thoughts?

Rusutsu IS a great resort......in fact it seems tailor made for your group..... all of the trees lead back to the pistes....send ur less confident mates down the pistes (that were boot top deep in freshly fallen ungroomed snow when I was there) while you duck into the trees and then then meet at the bottom.

Seemore and a few of our overseas resident posters like to give false advice to try and keep their places to themselves