I've just pulled the pin on my life, and have booked a return trip to Tokyo, from the 22nd of January to March 11th. So far, I'm spending 22nd to the 2nd of Jan, and 1st to the 10th of March on Niseko with friends.

What I'd like to know:

• Should I spend the whole time on Niseko? The Niseko United season pass and a lack of transport costs obviously make it cheaper to stay in one place the whole time, but I'm not super broke.
    • Are there other areas around Hokkaido that are worth spending time in? Is it worth going to the mainland?
    • My budget for accomodation is 4000Y/night. Does this limit my options?

[*]How bad is Mini-Australia on Niseko? I don't watch footy and I don't punch people - will I meet chill travellers I can talk to/ski with?

• I'd love some Japanese immersion, rather than more aussies. When I last came to Japan, I stayed in some cheap Ryokans in Kyoto, which I loved. Are there similar situations on the snow?

[*]Should I be buying the Niseko United season pass? Or, should I just buy the days I need, and then spend time on other mountains?

I know I've written lots, but basically, with the benefit of experience, how would you spend 7 weeks in Japan, snowboard in hand?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I went to Niseko for 4 weeks and ended up staying over 7 years....

Wouldn't stop a real powderhound. Now, ProjectileDiarrhea...rides solo!

Without bc experience you will be limited there and shouldnt try to venture too far from the trails alone. I would spend a week there, you probably shouldnt.   IMO you should hit less spots, keep

7 weeks and no car = groundhogs day.

I spent 6 weeks travelling all around Hokkaido last season. It would do my head in to stay in one place that whole time, especially at niseko.

Its mini oz bigtime, and lucky you to be there for Australia day where every second person is wearing an Australian flag as a cape because you cant see their southern cross tattoo under all that ski gear!

7 weeks and no car = groundhogs day.

I spent 6 weeks travelling all around Hokkaido last season. It would do my head in to stay in one place that whole time, especially at niseko.

Its mini oz bigtime, and lucky you to be there for Australia day where every second person is wearing an Australian flag as a cape because you cant see their southern cross tattoo under all that ski gear!

+1000000

but of course it depends what you want to achieve from your 7 weeks.

to answer some of your questions. yes there are far better areas than niseko to spend your time.

your accomodation budget is fine. its cheaper elsewhere. i found the backpackers in niseko had a lower quality of australian staying in them than elsewhere in japan.

japanese immersion? dont go to niseko.

how would i spend my time in japan? well i spent 12 weeks in japan last season travelling all over japan and hit 20+ resorts. this year im going to probably hit another 20 new spots.

whether you want to do that or not is up to you.

When people talk about a lot of Aussies in Niseko they are generally referring to Hirafu. Stay in the pension village at Annupuri for a similar resort experience and prices you'd find anywhere else in the country. You wouldn't want to spend a whole 7 weeks there though. Plenty of other resorts around Hokkaido you can get to without a car. Rusutsu, Kiroro, Kamui and Furano to name a few. Add in a bit of time spent in Sapporo and some of the nearby resorts to the city and you'd fill up 7 weeks with plenty of variety and experiences. All these resorts are relatively easily accessed through public transport.

I'd agree that if it's japanese immersion you're after then Niseko won't really be the best place. As GN says there are plenty places in Hokkaido accessible without individual transport.....base yourself in Sapporo and you could easily access Teine, Kokusai and Kiroro, as well as Rusutsu, Niseko, Furano and Kamui.

I'm in your same situation... I don't know yet how many weeks i'll stay there but at least 4, probably more. I have no car, and i'd love to travel around. The funny thing is i opened a similar thread and everybody suggested me to stay in Niseko instead of moving ahah. Best powder, best terrain, blablabla...

Anyway from my experience (i already spent one month in Niseko the past year) if you go to the right places there will be local japanese people too. In the guesthouse i chose i found myself being the only western guy for one whole week...

I don't wanna say Niseko is better than other places, but it's not true Niseko is just for aussie lemmings, two of my snow buddies were one from Sapporo and one from Nagano, and both preferred to spend two months in Niseko cause they said it's the best resort. Pretty sure there's something true about it.

Anyway i'm still thinking about what to do this year. Moving by public transportation is not the easiest way, let's say you base yourself in Sapporo (one of my options as well), you'll never get to Kiroro or other resorts in time for first chair if you don't have a car.

And sure you'll spend much more money than staying in one place and just moving a bit. You know, season pass or 50 hours ticket, wich is a super good option if you decide to stay in Niseko for just some week but not the whole time

Anyway if you opt for some car danchi and need someone to share the van drop me a line!

If you meet a nice person with a car offer them a tank of juice to take you somewhere different.

I took a few guys I met through this forum to Teine and Kiroro, they loved the riding but also seeing more of hokkaido than just the bus trip and the resort.

Go to Rusutsu with seemore, he loves showing people around his pow spots. In fact he'll even let u share his digs and if you bring 20 of ur friends.....well that would make his day!! The more the merrier at Rusutsu with Seemore

Um the 15m+ of snow each winter kind of gave it away that we were no longer in Aus! And the fact that most of the snow didn't come out of a snow gun on the side of the ski run was also a dead giveaway! ;)

Yeah but he's tired of them.....he wishes he could only shorten it to 7 weeks :p ;)

i want to ski less, not more.. ;)

Just don't do it. There, sorted your problem for you.