I have been doing a fair bit of ordering stuff of late, and using some rakuten.

Though it's a right pain in the messy bottom to use. So messy and the pages induces headaches it's all over the place.

Order history etc is really messy too.

But some good deals and lots of "points" to get.

Amazon is much less messy but whatever happened to the "points" they used to do?

Have they scrapped them?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Amazon has got a bit slower with it's free postage. That's in Japan. Perhaps they want you to sign up to Prime or whatever...

When I bought something from the UK, in the UK, it took about 6 days for the free package to arrive. I was surprised at that. Even if Japan has got a bit slower, it's not that slow!

Do you use Rakuten in English or Japanese? I haven't used the site in a while but I remember the English version being terrible. The Japanese version was much better and I found it easier to use to find the cheapest deals. Generally, I find the products listed on Rakuten to be somewhat cheaper than on Amazon.

I'm glad it's not just me that dislikes the "design" of them, esp. Rakuten.

Drives me nuts it does.

I suppose if's too noisy with ads justling for attention for it to ever be much better. Though you'd think they could have a decent shot at improving it's usability.

Rakuten is very good at spamming you if you don't uncheck all the boxes.

There are about ten types of spam they try to sign you up to with each order.

You can uncheck them all with a single click now, but you used to have to do it individually.

Its still an opt out though, so if you rush through your order, they'll get you.

Rakuten is very good at spamming you if you don't uncheck all the boxes.

There are about ten types of spam they try to sign you up to with each order.

You can uncheck them all with a single click now, but you used to have to do it individually.

Its still an opt out though, so if you rush through your order, they'll get you.

Oh yes. I remember when I didn't know about that, not so long ago. Wow, mails coming in all over the place. A bit of cleaning up and they were all gone.

I just got a "digitcal music coupon" worth a whopping 100 yen from amazon.co.jp, apparently because I bought some cds recently.

So lets not rag on amazon too much for dropping points! ;)

Sounds brilliant that, gg.

I can just about find my way around rakuten, and while it's certainly not pretty I have got some great prices on there. And it's great to stock up points and then use them on something. I like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the points on rakuten.

In fact, I find it almost addictive.

The fact that you need to wait 2 weeks (?) to use them, only makes it worse.

If you can get 10x, they can really add up.

Do amazon re-sell on stuff that people have sent back?

I ask because recently I bought a region free blu-ray player. It came less than beautifully packaged. Not scratched or anything just not as you might expect here. It's perhaps my been-in-Japan-too-long expecting too much from an "imported" item, but can't help wonder what happens to stuff that people have sent back (sometimes opened and used).