I can imagine Myoko and Yuzawa doing something, but I think it's a pretty good guess that if "Niigata" went to the London Ski Show they might have had a pamphlet listing the main resorts and a bit of blurb on it.

I don't think any of the skijo in this area have any proper English pamphlets. Though Gala would be the one that I would guess would have one, perhaps it does.

I doubt Ludens Yuzawa (read: most other resorts) sent a consortium over there, and I doubt they 'actively' did anything at all for it either.

But if they are going to get a free mention courtesy of Niigata, they're probably not goin to say no are they.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's sad that I feel I have to do this but I'm closing this thread now, for hopefully obvious reasons.   If anyone needs to actually discuss the "Cost of living in Niseko" more - or of course any of

I was living quite comfortably on 3000Y a day. Some days I probably spent less than that to be honest. Valumart will be your saviour, I bought a heap of fruit, vegetables and supplies once a week and

I've heard that about food from several people. The cost of living in Australia sounds savage.

So promotion done on a prefecture level doesn't count as promotion of resorts and you can continue asserting that they are not actively trying to get foreign tourists in? I suppose you must think putting adverts on the home page of this website since way back when doesn't count as promotion either

As for muika's point, no one is suggesting any tiny resort has potential for inbound tourism. fwiw, I also think it is an exaggeration to suggest that a "fortune" automatically needs to be spent on promotion. I doubt Niseko spent very much on simple promotion to get the ball rolling. The only fortune spent by Hakuba was on the Olympics and that was not to get foreign tourists in.

As muika pointed out, if the prefecture gave a glancing mention to smaller resorts in the ken, they probably had almost nothing - and perhaps absolutely nothing - to do with it.

So that is hardly them "actively appealing to the international market". It's handing out a bit of info.

Anyway it will sure be great to see the many thousands of international skiers descending on Ludens, Yuzawa Park and Chateau Shiozawa this season though! :thumbsup:

Hilarious!

:rollabout:

Here's the guy who doesn't even know simple everyday fundamental Japanese lifestyle customs and way of life like washing before you get in a bath.

That's because I, unlike most of you, was married before coming to Japan. And not to a Japanese national. So is it really that crazy that I didn't delve into the washing behaviours of people in their own homes? And unlike you I did work in the ski industry for my entire 7 years in Japan. But hey maybe teaching English has given you an incredible insight into the industry I'm unaware of? We all know how smart you have to be to become an English teacher in Japan! ;)

:wakaranai:

Teaching English?

I don't teach English.

Shows how much you know about me. (ie. Nothing).

I was using it as one example pointing out your - lack of - credentials regarding Japan.

I know Niseko well, but you probably know it better than I do. Having said that, I had been to Niseko a few times before you ever came to Japan.

But you apparently know very little else about Japan.

We're talking about the international ski market + Japan. Big difference. The Japan bit is rather important there, you know.

I'm not an 'expert' on the ski industry in Japan, though I reckon I know a good deal more than you.

Neither are you. You may know a fair bit about Niseko (well, up until you lived there anyway). But you haven't got much of a clue about the rest of Japan. Though you obviously think you have.

So is it really that crazy that I didn't delve into the washing behaviours of people

Ever been to an onsen? :confused:

Most people who are interested in Japan will surely know about the bathing customs as it's a major culture thing and in all the guide books. I sure read about it in guide books before I first went to Japan.

For someone to actually live there for a number of years and not knows shows a pretty ignorant attitude.

Just butching the ITE (International Travel Expo) in HK this summer, there was participation:

JNTO

Hokkaido tourism

Okinawa tourism

Nagano tourism

Tohoku tourism

and that was about it.

At the resort level there was Tokyu. Prince didn't even bother. Not a lot of promoting being done really.

Don't know about that Winter Vacation on a thursday.

From what you mention, and using the same methods of calculation as laid out in this very thread, I reckon that means there's over 200 resorts there "actively marketing themselves to the international ski market".

98 in Hokkaido, including all the biddy ones.

Okinawa? Now that's just silly as there are none in Okinawa.

About 80 in Nagano. And probably well over 50 in Tohoku region.

So easily over 200.

Result!

:thumbsup:

There are adverts for Niigata, Myoko, Naeba, and Yuzawa (all four being Niigata) on the home page of this website. If you click on them, it will help Snow Japan. fwiw, there is another ad for Appi, perhaps another area/resort/skihill/whatever people may have decided for whatever reason is outside the group of area/resort/skihill/whatevers that try to appeal to gaijin sans. I'm sure Appi must have also been promoted by the Tohoku promotion in HK WV just mentioned.

I seem to have discovered a parallel universe where people on a website promoting skiiing don't think adverts and ski shows qualify as promotion. ;)

I bet the people from Niigata at the London Ski Show were nice and friendly and enthusiastic and made a positive impression, but if anyone went to show and came across a bunch of freeloaders half-heartedly handing out the odd leaflet as the poster called Ski assumes, let me just say that Niigata has great skiing and such people should not put you off. You can have a great holiday there. :thumbsup:

Over the last 2 or 3 years there has been quite an increase in my friends taking ski holidays. Back when I first went to Niseko, I had asked the very same people whether they'd be interested to go skiing in Hokkaido. The answer back then from each of the people we asked was "f*** off, it's freezing up there". But now, it seems the cold doesn't affect them anymore.

These people have more money than they can spend and spending it on a ski holiday at peak season makes them happy. They don't actually ski. They take their kids to the ski school, then chill in the hotel drinking coffee waiting to pick up their kids from the ski school. After 3 days of this, they go to Sapporo which is when their holiday truly starts.

Sad ****ers.

They are all the obvious names though are they not.

Very fine place to be seen if they are actually interested of course.

Here's some more to add and nearly complete the obvious list - Hakuba, Nozawa, Niseko, Furano, Zao.