• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's sad that I feel I have to do this but I'm closing this thread now, for hopefully obvious reasons.   If anyone needs to actually discuss the "Cost of living in Niseko" more - or of course any of

I was living quite comfortably on 3000Y a day. Some days I probably spent less than that to be honest. Valumart will be your saviour, I bought a heap of fruit, vegetables and supplies once a week and

I've heard that about food from several people. The cost of living in Australia sounds savage.

• SnowJapan Admin

When we asked them to stop using our logo, we also pointed out some major issues regarding the Japan listings - a few which seem to have been adjusted since.

A 'thank you' would have been nice.

'Hokkaido' nominated as a ski resort?

Surely no!

No it wasn't, but Hakuba, Appi, Naeba, Myoko were.

Incorrect.

It was.

I saw it.

it was later deleted.

:lol:

Perhaps France came 2nd

One thing I wish Japanese ski resorts would do is take somewhat accurate snowfall measurements. If you look at lists of the snowiest ski resorts in the world although Niseko is normally listed at #2 or #3 there's generally no other Japanese ski resorts listed in the top 10. All the rest are in Nth America. I reckon if Niseko took accurate measurements up at 1000m it would rank as #1 or #2 and if other Japanese resorts also took measurements on their upper slopes they'd make up the bulk of the top 10. Seki Onsen at Myoko might even take top spot? All other high snowfall ski areas of the world seem to understand the importance of marketing the abundance of snow they receive!

That may be fine for marketing to the local market but I assume most of the bigger resorts would actually like to increase the number of skiers they get each season and the biggest growth market currently is the international skiing market. And the international market likes to know snowfall stats. At least that's my experience. It gives the resort a certain amount of prestige to be listed as one of the snowiest resorts on the planet. The fact that Niseko is the only Japanese resort listed in the top 10 is, as we all know, ridiculous.

We've had this before but for all but the biggest skijo, the potential 'nternational skiing market is not big enough to warrant the mendo involved in proactively appealing to it.

Some places obviously feel that the mass Japanese market don't want the image of 'too much snow'. However silly that is/sounds.

I think the 100's of millions of dollars that's been invested by international interests into Niseko shows the international market is vibrant and growing. The proximity of Japan to the burgeoning middle class of Asia gives it a huge advantage to one of the biggest growth markets in the industry. I know if I was managing a resort I'd want a bit of that market! Of course that market maybe isn't so interested in snowfall stats either. They often seem more interested in the quality of accommodation options and services available in the resort than anything else.

If nothing else I'd just like to get a better idea of total snowfall stats at Japanese resorts because I take a real interest in such things. It really wouldn't require a huge investment on the part of the resorts. The ski patrol could take a reading each morning as they do their rounds prior to lifts opening. Even the snowfall stats bandied about from Niseko are generally only from enthusiastic amateurs taking readings at only village level. Any figures for higher up on the mountain are just guestimate extrapolations. It would just be nice to have some accurate measurements.

I was not talking about Niseko. Or Hakuba. Or Nozawa.

I'm talking about most of the other hundreds of places in Japan.

Most of the 100's of other places in Japan barely qualify as resorts. ;)

I'm only talking about the bigger resorts of course.

Hell even some Australian resorts post snowfall stats even though they're embarrassingly small!

A fair number of the 'bigger resort', lets say in the top 100 size-wise, nay top 50, are not interested in the mendo involved in actively appealing to the international market.

A fair number of the 'bigger resort', lets say in the top 100 size-wise, nay top 50, are not interested in the mendo involved in actively appealing to the international market.

Nagano, Niigata sent representations to the London Ski Show. I bet some of the Hokkaido resorts did too, if not the prefecture itself.

So your top 50 must exclude resorts in those two prefectures because they are "involved in actively appealing to the international market".

Wonder how some people who think that Japanese resorts should all go spend tons of their budget on trying to get gaijin to go there from overseas think it would work out.

Looking at my area the only resorts that you see more than 0-5 gaijin at are Kagura, Naeba, Gala, Maiko. Maybe a few more if you increase that second number a bit.

Let's say a place like Ludens Yuzawa decides it wants to get gaijin to go. Even if it were successful in doing that, the numbers wouldn't be huge.

It's not going to 'save' them.

And how are such places going to compete with major places like Kagura, Naeba and Gala?

They're not.

more a case that reps from the larger ski areas in Nagano and Niigata were present, not marketing the prefectures as resorts in their own right.

Well yes of course I get that.

But using Mr Wiggles line, "my top 50" must exclude those.

50 resorts from Nagano and Niigata sent representation to London Ski Show?

Would they all be doing anything else other than that?

It's just an exciting kaigai freebie isn't it.

No they aren't ski resorts, and guess what, I didn't say they were!

Niigata prefecture was at the show, promoting Niigata ski resorts, no doubt with such resorts' consent and cooperation. Being promoted at a ski show in a foreign country a twelve hour flight away strikes me as "actively appealing to the international market".

Guess what... we have been talking about ski resorts!

Not prefectures. You know, the '50' number you picked up on.

Or do you mean that the guys who stood at the booth might have been handing out flyers from over 50 resorts there?

Even such an insignificant thing, I very seriously doubt.

You're really stretching the "actively appealing to the international market" phrase to a ridiculous limit there.

Curious, is the 12 hour flight significant somehow? I suppose if a few people go on a freeby with some pamphlets on a 12 hour flight, rather than just a 5 hour flight, it really does ratchet up the "actively appaling to the international market" argument somehow.