• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's sad that I feel I have to do this but I'm closing this thread now, for hopefully obvious reasons.   If anyone needs to actually discuss the "Cost of living in Niseko" more - or of course any of

I was living quite comfortably on 3000Y a day. Some days I probably spent less than that to be honest. Valumart will be your saviour, I bought a heap of fruit, vegetables and supplies once a week and

I've heard that about food from several people. The cost of living in Australia sounds savage.

Well, I read today that the Prime Minister of Japan personally visits Niseko every year (Book Now! Buy Apartment Now!). I am assuming that that is Mr Abe, of Abenomics fame? If so, then Niseko must be the best resort in Japan.

Well, if that's the case , I'm there.

Having said that, as there has been about 259 Prime Ministers of Japan in the last decade or so, there's a good chance this is wrong if just slightly out of date.

Which would be disappointing. It would be Abetastic if he went to Niseko.

" Niseko has once again proved itself as the best powder playground Mother Nature has to offer. The Niseko Ski resort recently clinched the accolade as Japan's number one resort in the inaugural World Ski Awards held recently at Kitzbuhel, Austria (17 Nov.). Niseko was a finalist in the blue ribbon category for best ski resort and the judges voted it above its many Japanese counterparts. The Vale and the Hilton Hotel also won awards for Best Ski Chalet and Best Ski Resort Hotel respectively"

This was written on a email I just received from a ski company.

The World Ski Awards also:

- had 'Hokkaido' nominated in the Best Ski Resort section

- used the SnowJapan logo for Mt Naeba (taken down presumably at SJs request)

- other ridiculous things.

- are a laughable joke.

But hey I suppose it's bragging rights when people don't know it's a farce.

PLEASE NOTE: All vitriol in this post is directed at World Ski Awards, not Niseko.

And I saw this as well for those that like their fine dining.

Nihon Harmony Resorts KK will open Asperges Hanazono, a Biei based French restaurant lead by Hiroshi Nakamichi that has been awarded one Michelin star, during the winter season from 2013 into 2014 at Niseko HANAZONO Resort.

Very unfortunately, it probably does lots of good. Mass market people will look and say ohh isn't that impressive. Even though it's effectively paid for and/or totally meaningless.

(What did SJ-David say about it the other day, some people have no integrity).

The person who sent out the press release probably didn't even know that the awards are a joke. I know many of the marketing guys in Niseko and a fair portion of them had barely even skied prior to working in Niseko.

I believed it so surely others would as well like GN says they aren't targeting us they are targeting the lemmings

And you can't blame them for using it. I doubt any ski resort in the world would choose not to promote any awards they may receive regardless of their dubious quality. Lemmings or no, the vast bulk of people I assisted in organising holidays over the years in Niseko told me they had one of the best ski holidays of their lives. That's not marketing BS, that's just the truth. And it often included people who'd skied all over the world previously. For all it's faults Niseko is still pretty damned awesome.

Do remember though, good folks....

You aren't allowed to say anything in the least bit negative - otherwise you'll get caught out for being hateful and vitriolic. And amaze people with the extremity of your naughty comments.

But, you are allowed to go over the top in the other direction. That's encouraged.

I wonder why.

Go figure.

As for those Awards, they're a joke but yeah of course you can't blame a business for using it - but I don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

I believed it so surely others would as well like GN says they aren't targeting us they are targeting the lemmings

And you can't blame them for using it. I doubt any ski resort in the world would choose not to promote any awards they may receive regardless of their dubious quality. Lemmings or no, the vast bulk of people I assisted in organising holidays over the years in Niseko told me they had one of the best ski holidays of their lives. That's not marketing BS, that's just the truth. And it often included people who'd skied all over the world previously. For all it's faults Niseko is still pretty damned awesome.

Best snow I ever had was in Niseko new years day 2010