Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance on the cost of living in Niseko for a seasonaire. I'm heading over this winter for the first time and I had a hunt around, but I've got quite contrasting numbers. So would be great for someone who has spent a season in Niseko during in the last few years to give some definite numbers.

I've got housing and job sorted.

But would like to know:

1. Cost of food per month

2. Price of a beer in bars

3. Anything else that is significant

Thanks.

Steve

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's sad that I feel I have to do this but I'm closing this thread now, for hopefully obvious reasons.   If anyone needs to actually discuss the "Cost of living in Niseko" more - or of course any of

I was living quite comfortably on 3000Y a day. Some days I probably spent less than that to be honest. Valumart will be your saviour, I bought a heap of fruit, vegetables and supplies once a week and

I've heard that about food from several people. The cost of living in Australia sounds savage.

beer is around 500¥

cost of food.....how long is a piece of string!! :lol: Depends on where you are going to be eating.....eating out all the time, which restaurants, buying from the supermarket and cooking yourself.

food. $60 - $100 per week if you cook yourself.

going out to eat - no idea. too expensive for me.

Alcohol. beer cans in supermarketo ~ 150-200 yen. beer in pub, like gozaimas said. 500Yen.

shochu and lemonade/juice is very cheap. Jim beam [sic]etc is ~ $10 a bottle.

staying home to drink is affordable, going out might be a bit expensive.. imho..

He's from the UK so dollar comparisons are a bit useless.

But I gather that is about 6000-10000¥ a day which is roughly 35-70 quid a day

And Koko, directing him to drink crappo-shu :naughty:

Beer cans from supermarkets or convinis are around 200-220¥ for the small cans and near 250-300 for the big cans..... Anything cheaper is nasty ass crappo-shu :)

I was living quite comfortably on 3000Y a day. Some days I probably spent less than that to be honest.

Valumart will be your saviour, I bought a heap of fruit, vegetables and supplies once a week and then bought a big rice curry or something on the mountain for lunch each day for about 900Y.

I also found as the season went on I was eating less and less food.

If you drink spirits like I do get a 4l bottle of your favourite swill on the first day and see how long that lasts you lol. I was drinking Nikka black clear whisky which worked out to be about 40Y per standard drink. Stupid cheap.

Its a great party trick to pull out a bottle of scotch thats twice the size of your head too!

• Like 1

Compared to AU food and alcohol is dirt cheap in japan. Like half price or less.

I've heard that about food from several people. The cost of living in Australia sounds savage.

• Like 1

Compared to AU food and alcohol is dirt cheap in japan. Like half price or less.

This, in a nutshell, is Australias bubble economy.

A piece of fruit is say $1

Johnny packs fruit for a living and "needs" a pay rise because the cost of living is too high.

So he gets his pay rise.

Now the price of that fruit goes up to $1.10 because it costs more to pack it.

Now he needs another pay rise because the cost of living just went up.

So he gets it......

Try that a hundred times and thats where Australia is atm.

Since I posted that above about 25 minutes ago, I've had over 200 emails from outraged readers saying.... 'oh, but prices are going up in Japan, blah blah'.

Well yes, but at least we have Abenomics. Australians can only dream of having Abenomics guiding their present... and future. For Your Just.

Johnny packs fruit for a living and "needs" a pay rise because the cost of living is too high.

So he gets his pay rise.

So he gets it......

For all the complaining by Aussies about the rise in costs of living wage increases have outpaced CPI increases significantly so that in reality we've pretty much never been better off than we are right now. Australians also have the highest median net wealth per capita so basically we're the richest people on the planet. Now that the Murdoch media isn't constantly talking down Australia and it's economy as they did to destabilise the previous government I hope Aussies start to realise just how bloody good they've got it and stop their incessant whinging!! They've become worse than the bloody poms in that department...

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance on the cost of living in Niseko for a seasonaire. I'm heading over this winter for the first time and I had a hunt around, but I've got quite contrasting numbers. So would be great for someone who has spent a season in Niseko during in the last few years to give some definite numbers.

I've got housing and job sorted.

But would like to know:

1. Cost of food per month

2. Price of a beer in bars

3. Anything else that is significant

Thanks.

Steve

How are you going to get around. If you want a car you have to have a place to park it. Then you have the cost of running a car/ Petrol is Y150 in march. Will you be leasing or hiring a car because that will sort out parking. If you buy a car make sure the cost of shaken the car is not High is costs. Really should talk to a local when you get there.

Cheese (camonbare) Y 250 150 gm/ Milk Y150 litre/ Bread 180 haft loaf/ green tea 250gm Y500/seafood price are reasonable/ Meat expensive/ pork reasonable price/ season lift pass Y 30,000 or $300 us

When I live in Japan room and my food is in the work deal but I end up eating out 6 out 7 nights. Y30,000 a week you live quite will. Ad another Y10,000 for fuel if you get a car. hair cut can be Y2500, if your a local Y1000, import fruit is dear, but I love the Japanese Strawberry and the Milk. I can go on and on about the two. The best I have tasted/ strawberry Y450 a big punnet. Hogan Dazs ice cream Y 250 100gm.

Yes Aussie dream for Abenomic.

So he gets his pay rise.

So he gets it......

For all the complaining by Aussies about the rise in costs of living wage increases have outpaced CPI increases significantly so that in reality we've pretty much never been better off than we are right now. Australians also have the highest median net wealth per capita so basically we're the richest people on the planet. Now that the Murdoch media isn't constantly talking down Australia and it's economy as they did to destabilise the previous government I hope Aussies start to realise just how bloody good they've got it and stop their incessant whinging!! They've become worse than the bloody poms in that department...

Stop incessantly whinging!

Yes you are total correct!! I am in Hospitality , catering for middle class Aussie Families. 90% of Aussie are so self- centred. I pick and put down at the resort and in the Valley. I feel and see their bad attitude and their expression even at the end of great powder, Most whinge about the slightest abnormality. E.G. I am drive a crew of Aussie to the Gondola at Happo One and people are walking on the road making hard for Cars and buses, as is the norm. But the crew will start complain about this, making rude remark about the locals and Gonala is not even open for 15-20 minutes and I am the one who is driving!! I like to drop them off early so I can get people to who are going Cortina to the lifts before they open. I do my work well and great some tips of Americans (Y10,000 ) is not unusual but never off and Aussie. But my biggest hate is their manners in the Onsen. I hate it when a bloke have has Dredlock and entries without raping their hair in a towel. A BIg PiSS OFF

Sorry I mean Abnormal to there way of thinking

I have nothing but total respect for the People of Japan and their society

I just remember this instant. I was picking up at Happo and it was probably the worse day of the season. While I was waiting for them I notice this old Aussie looking a bit hard done by. I walk over to ask how was his day. He told me he was not happy with the resort. He continued to complain and at the end he state That Thredbo was way better Happo. I was abit taken back by this remark because it is a totally stupid statement to make!!. By then the guest just finish for the day. I ask them how was there day as I loading their skies and the reply was F**King Great. I look over to old Aussie and nodded in his direction saying, Well the Old Aussie over there think Thredbo is a way better resort. They both replied in sequence. What!! Is he on DRUGs! and to that the old Aussie spat it. I reply well if that the case old fellow Thredbo in for chance at holding the Winter Olympics !!! to which the crowd just broke up causing the old Aussie total embarrassment!!

Maybe the hair thinks it was its own fault.....dressed all short and showing a bit of skin....maybe it thinks that the police would say it really wanted it......it must show courage to report such an incident

Yes I have try, but it very hard to explain how they require dreadlocks but they understand that is upsetting to patrons. I was thinking of asking Hakuba Connect Mag to do item on the subject amptharising the community feeling about the dreadlock subject. Is it bordering on discrimation? I feel not but some may interrupt it as. My Japanese girlfriend is the Receptionist at Cortina resort Onsen and she find it hard to explain this the these self-centred Foreigners and they start abusing her. That why I REALLY HATE IT because It hurt bad when you cannot do anything because she get hurt and might loss work if I intervene!!