Sounds a great trip ozsnowbum.

How big is your group?

4 so far. 2 splitboarders and 2 skiers. feel free to join us. those 4 are doing the all in package (accom food etc) while i am just paying for the guiding.

Wow, it'll be bleak out there in January! I hope you get a window in the weather both for the ferries and the skiing! I'm thinking of heading out there maybe in April when the weather should be more stable.

yes i am a bit concerned at the timing too but its what the they are offering so im gonna give it a go. ideally id like to go in march.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mt Granview

Dynaland Ontake Shiga Kogen

You get Aussies there too?

It's mighty dangerous on Chinese resorts. Lack of skill, discipline and very loutish behaviour makes it very dangerous. Watch your front, back and sides.

You get Aussies there too?

• Like 1

How big is your group?

4 so far. 2 splitboarders and 2 skiers. feel free to join us. those 4 are doing the all in package (accom food etc) while i am just paying for the guiding.

Wow, it'll be bleak out there in January! I hope you get a window in the weather both for the ferries and the skiing! I'm thinking of heading out there maybe in April when the weather should be more stable.

yes i am a bit concerned at the timing too but its what the they are offering so im gonna give it a go. ideally id like to go in march.

Man....I lived up there for three years. Magseven is right ....bleak is putting it mildly. Wasted days and wasted nights better spent inland at Furano or Niseko or even around Asahikawa. You might hit a nice patch of weather but those are rare. Be prepared to hunker down and ride out the storms. F'ing nasty coast that one.

How big is your group?

Man....I lived up there for three years. Magseven is right ....bleak is putting it mildly. Wasted days and wasted nights better spent inland at Furano or Niseko or even around Asahikawa. You might hit a nice patch of weather but those are rare. Be prepared to hunker down and ride out the storms. F'ing nasty coast that one.

you're almost beginning to make me doubt if its even worth heading up there for 4 days. even if the skiing is bad, wont it be worth checking out that part of japan regardless?

im spending time in furano, niseko and asahikawa anyway.

Oh...its absolutely worth checking out. You're just taking your chances with the weather...maybe you'll get a couple days....but 4 days straight...rare. More likely all you'll see is the inside of your armpit trying to get out of the gale force bitter cold wind and stinging driving snow. It's pretty relentless. That said ...man, when it clears up....it pretty damned nice.

I'll be making my usual rounds of Niseko/Rusutsu & Nozawa, maybe adding in Furano or Tomamu.

But the big target is my first-ever trip to the Alps in early February, four or five days in the Arlberg and then four more in Davos.

Obviously not expecting to hit Japan-level powder, but hoping for decent conditions and stoked at the idea of staying in Hannes Schneider's village and skiing the mountains where it all began.

I'll be making my usual rounds of Niseko/Rusutsu & Nozawa, maybe adding in Furano or Tomamu.

But the big target is my first-ever trip to the Alps in early February, four or five days in the Arlberg and then four more in Davos.

Obviously not expecting to hit Japan-level powder, but hoping for decent conditions and stoked at the idea of staying in Hannes Schneider's village and skiing the mountains where it all began.

Nice!!

Yes, after planning but backing off for the past three seasons I'm actually booked -- sold it to the wife as an ``exploratory trip'' so I can suss out good lodging, runs, restaurants etc for a future trip together :sjcool:

hitting europe after japan is a major letdown unless your into ski touring. ive done it the past 2 seasons to extend my season and its almost not even worth it, definitely not in financial terms.

depends what you're into though i guess. sunny days, apres, crowds, actual villages, chalets, brits. japan has not.

hitting europe after japan is a major letdown unless your into ski touring. ive done it the past 2 seasons to extend my season and its almost not even worth it, definitely not in financial terms.

depends what you're into though i guess. sunny days, apres, crowds, actual villages, chalets, brits. japan has not.

Yeah...we have to put up with ur lot!!

:p

I'm all out of ideas for places to go this season... at least where I can drive to for a few days from my house.

Now that you don't get three months of holidays... ;)

Is that really tiny violins I can hear??

;)