Looking forward to special 'linear shinkansen' meals! But also somewhat disappointed at the lack of preparation.

I was just watching the news and I see that they have announced the route of the new Linear Shinkansen due in about 14 years or so.

A station in Yamanashi, Nagano and Gifu.

It was great to see the interviews on the telly with the locals including a restaurant owner who was asked what "special linear menu" he will add to celebrate.

Imagine my surprise and shock when he exclaimed that he hadn't yet thought about special meals to celebrate the opening of the local Linear Shinkansen Station..

Slack or what.

If he stopped fannying about and sorted himself out, he'd already be serving those special linear-themed meals.

After all, the announcement for the station coming in 14 years was made over 6 hours ago!

:veryshocked:

Perhaps a carrot could be made to look like a linear train. Or something similarly inventive.

I'm jolly well going to take my kare-raisu business elsewhere if I happen to go there.

:grandpa:

The Chuo Shinkansen (中央新幹線) is a planned Japanese maglev line designed to ultimately connect Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka. Its initial planned route is between Shinagawa Station in Tokyo and Nagoya Station in Nagoya, with stations in Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Kofu, Yamanashi, and Nakatsugawa, Gifu, as well as an as-yet undetermined location in Nagano Prefecture. The line is expected to connect Tokyo and Nagoya in the first stage in 40 minutes, and eventually Tokyo and Osaka in 67 minutes, running at a maximum speed of 505 km/h.

The Chuo Shinkansen is the culmination of Japanese maglev development since the 1970s, a government-funded project initiated by Japan Airlines and the former Japanese National Railways (JNR). JR Central now operates the facilities and research. The line is intended to be built by extending and incorporating the existing Yamanashi test track. The trainsets themselves are popularly known in Japan as Linear Motor Car (リニアモーターカー, rinia mōtā kā), though there have been many technical variations.

Government permission to proceed with construction was granted on May 27, 2011. Construction of the line, which is expected to cost over ¥9 trillion, is expected to commence in 2014. JR Central aims to begin commercial service between Tokyo and Nagoya in 2027, with the Nagoya-Osaka section to be completed in 2045. JR Central is considering opening up partial maglev service between Kofu, Yamanashi and Sagamihara, Kanagawa around 2020.

What's a linear train?? Mag lev?

It is a train that floats on a magnetic field when it gets above 90kph.

It starts off running on wheels until 90kph then the wheels fold up and the train is propelled by a magnetic field, hence the very fast speed that is possible due to no friction of train with track.

How do I know this you might wonder? Well a few years ago I went to the Maglev test track here in Yamanashi and watched the train run down the tracks as well as read up on the info about the train.

I wonder what will happen when that train is travelling along at 500+ kph and a big quake hits, as under normal operation it takes 6 minutes for the train to stop, so they said on the news the other day.

And I wonder how the quake will effect the stability of the trains magnetic field if it starts shaking from side to side.

As much as I would like to get on that train I think I will wait util they have had a few crashes, ironed out all the glitches and been rattled by a quake before I get on.

I saw something similar. It talked to a group from Kofu who had come up with the local ekiben to sell on the train that doesn't give you enough time to eat one 14 years early. Most interesting though was the incidental comment that 85% of the line will be inside tunnels. Even bits that are elevated and lie between mountains will be enclosed, meaning that the trains won't be visible. It sounds like riding the subway, not a trip

through the countryside.

What's a linear train?? Mag lev? ;)

It is a train that floats on a magnetic field when it gets above 90kph.

It starts off running on wheels until 90kph then the wheels fold up and the train is propelled by a magnetic field, hence the very fast speed that is possible due to no friction of train with track.

How do I know this you might wonder? Well a few years ago I went to the Maglev test track here in Yamanashi and watched the train run down the tracks as well as read up on the info about the train.

so its a Mag lev :D

I saw something similar. It talked to a group from Kofu who had come up with the local ekiben to sell on the train that doesn't give you enough time to eat one 14 years early. Most interesting though was the incidental comment that 85% of the line will be inside tunnels. Even bits that are elevated and lie between mountains will be enclosed, meaning that the trains won't be visible. It sounds like riding the subway, not a trip

through the countryside.

Yes thats what we saw also at the test centre that it will run almost all the way through tunnels.

Most interesting though was the incidental comment that 85% of the line will be inside tunnels. Even bits that are elevated and lie between mountains will be enclosed, meaning that the trains won't be visible. It sounds like riding the subway, not a trip

through the countryside.

Probably needed to keep detritus away from the track. A similar cover can be observed near where the shinkansen passes under Mt. Granview, by the way.

Thinking an acrylic tube around the track could serve the same purpose, while providing a better view. Something like Logan's Run, without the mandatory-death-at-30 downside:

logans-run-city-landscape.jpg

I can't wait for the new iconic image of the other side of Mount Fuji with the elevated concrete tunnel going past. Maybe they can paint a train or some Hello Kittys on the outside of it.

If there's a reasonable price for me to connect at Nagoya and get to Nakatsugawa, that will be awesome. There'll no doubt be buses and whatnot that make it a snow hub.

Now I play the waiting game.

Is it done yet? Also, what novelty meals can I get near the station? I'll start packing.