Where is absolutely cheapest place to stay and ski Hokkaido?

I would just dig a snow cave and stay in there and eat at the Kwik-E-Mart, Niseko is a good a place as any for snow caves

I know a guy who did that at Falls Creek for much of a season Seemore. It can be done!

He dug a snow cave at Falls Creek, and took his meals at the Kwik-E-Mart in Niseko?

That's dedication.

:worship:

Is Niseko still the best place to ski compared to other European and American ski resorts?

Wazzat mean?

I saw some youtube videos of Niseko, it's like that guy skiing in Niseko was like SWIMMIMG IN POWDER, while I saw youtube videos of people skiing at Mahrofen, Austria or Italy, it's like flat terrain with MINIMAL snow. What you think?

The european alps is like flat terrain compared to Niseko?!? :lol:

The snow part....yeah, Niseko gets crazy amounts of powder. Also, regardless of our joshing on here, Niseko also has great terrain, but to even hint that resorts in europe are flatter than Niseko...well...thats just lies. The size of the mountains in alpine europe compared to any resort in Japan should tell their own story.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Tubby, because to me, In terms of combining the sickest terrain, and potential deep powder, you have mixed up the Alaska Range and Niseko I think,

• Like 1

Niseko has great snow. The terrain in the resort is probably below average compared to other resorts in Japan. Off piste offers much better terrain... but that's usually true at most places, right?

Also, to answer your question about price. Accommodation varies but is probably slightly more expensive than other places and the lift tickets are the most expensive in Japan... which still isn't that much compared to places in other countries.

I would just dig a snow cave and stay in there and eat at the Kwik-E-Mart, Niseko is a good a place as any for snow caves

I know a guy who did that at Falls Creek for much of a season Seemore. It can be done!

He dug a snow cave at Falls Creek, and took his meals at the Kwik-E-Mart in Niseko?

That's dedication.

:worship:

:lol:

The european alps is like flat terrain compared to Niseko?!? :lol:

The snow part....yeah, Niseko gets crazy amounts of powder. Also, regardless of our joshing on here, Niseko also has great terrain, but to even hint that resorts in europe are flatter than Niseko...well...thats just lies. The size of the mountains in alpine europe compared to any resort in Japan should tell their own story.

THIS.

You can compare them, but you can not compare them if you know what I mean.

Alpine Europe 4000m+ peaks, insanely long runs, glaciers.... magic.

But if you stick the amount of snowfall that Niseko (and many other places in Japan) gets - GOOD LUCK skiing it. Avalanche alert!!

If you are after cheap then Niseko is probably your worst choice out of the multitudes of options in Japan.

But the fun to be had is undeniable.

Check out backpackers or pension accommodation across less commercial resorts for the best budget deals or get yourself a hire van, all the cool gear, and go car danchi like Gozaimaas did last season.

i live in Italy and i can assure you Niseko is soooooo much better than Alps for powder. Sure the terrain is not that steep nor challenging, but in Alps you can have both good seasons and entire seasons with just a few days of powder, while in Niseko it's bottomless turns almost every day, every year... just to compare, last season in Alps has been one of the best in decades, and the resort with the highest snowfall had 11.5 meters, while Niseko got 16mt... and it got 14.5 on average, while average for alps is something like 7 or so.

Alps with Niseko pow would be a completely different story, but that's not the case (unluckily for me)

And yes, Niseko is expensive, but you don't need a car, shuttle buses are free, cheap accomodations do exist (while in other resorts from my researches prices are relatively cheaper but they don't have budget/backpacker solutions, but i could be wrong), and if you stay for a while you can buy the 50 hours ticket wich is the best solution if you hit the backcountry and do some daily trip to other resorts... In the end you'd spend more money in Europe, and almost the same that in other hokkaido resorts

Well, since I just this evening booked an air ticket for 10 days of skiing in Austria & Switzerland, I can absolutely guarantee you it will be bottomless in Niseko/Rusutsu/Hakuba/Nozawa/Shiga/Kagura/Zao/Appi while I'm in Europe. :lol:

I heard there's this new place in Sapporo with free beer, all you can eat buffet and long hot showers and free shuttles to and from the mountain of your choice. I think it's called "The Tubby Den". I'm definitely going to try it this season. Someone should call for large group rates.. :wave:

I also heard if you get in the hot tub you wake up at winterfest 86 :lol: