Motorcycle license in Japan

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An interesting idea, stemik. Got me thinking too!

I bought my bike from a Red Baron store. To be honest I bought there for the ease of convenience - it was very close to the license center!

My friend and i went in together and we bought two bikes (one red one blue). We didn't get a lot of discount though!

Yep same here I did a test on a 750cc too.

As my UK license was for unlimited size naturally I was able to go for an oogata license in Japan.

I think if you do a test on a 400 then of course that is the largest your license will then cover you for.

Not sure how many groupings they have for bike size or if they just have up to 400 and anything above.

Normal - up to 400

Ougata - over 400

Seemed silly to go for the normal one when I know I want a big bike, so I went straight from nothing to ougata.

More lessons and time (and money) but get it over in one go.

Hopefully!

Sounds a great plan that.

Hope you pass.

I'm learning on a 750cc and it's not as monster as I thought.

Eyeing up anything between 650 and 1000 now, though still very unsure about what I really want/

I think I know what you want...

720a88dd9a65fcf5f724a39b24130c2e.jpg

I have a few questions!

---Do you take the test at the Driving School? (And do your instructors judge you, or someone different?)

--When you pass, do you get your licence there and then?

Keen to hear about how the test is...

I took my test at the driving school, not sure who judged it but I dont think he was one of my instructors.

I was then given a certificate which I had to show at the driving license center on a different day, watch a safety video, get a photo taken and then issued a license.

For me I already had a Japanese driving license for a car so it was simple when I passed my bike test they gave me a paper saying I had passed. The examiner then took those of us who had passed into the test centre showed us where to hand in our paper, photo and existing license and said wait until our names are called.

Then we collected our new license.

Was many years ago about 15 years to be exact so I dont remember the exact order but I do clearly remember getting our new licenses with ogata added to it on the day, no returning on a seperate day.

For those not wanting to be confused by snowdudes confusion:

Driving schools are not legally able to provide licenses.

Driving license centers do that.

So if you take lessons and a test at a driving school, when you pass you will need to go to the driving license center to go through the procedure of getting the license.

This is the way it works.

If you don't have lessons and/ or take the test at a license centre, ie not a driving school, the situation may well be different.

But as we are talking about driving schools...