....for Madarao Kogen anyway, from what I have heard.

And oh yes on their site too.

Elementary school kids at 1000 yen.

小学生が有料となります、リーズナブルな料金です(1日券1000円)

I think that would be a silly idea It can add up when you have kids so people would be more inclined to go places where kids are free.

Mine are to old now anyway but it was good for awhile

Some will like that news.

Too many children puts some paying adults off going.

And if those children are all there for free, looking at it from that point of view it doesn't turn out to be good for the resort.

I can handle that for my kid. If it was two or three thousand that would be a different matter though. Just look at how cheap skiing in Japan is compared to N. America, Europe, or Oz and NZ. It's half the price. What I worry about is the next two decades with the big population decrease. I know that's another thread, but I wonder how it will effect resorts and pensions.

Most places charge for shougakusei anyway (effectively six and a half and up) and I would guess they charge more than 1000 yen. Fwiw, most hotels, pensions, onsens etc. will have always charged for the same shougakusei, so the only ones taking a hit to get more punters were the gelende. The most important part of the whole operation, you could say.

I know nothing of kids rates, but do some hotels offer much lower rates than the norm for the kids, or more specifically - is that successful?

You'd have to define the "norm" for starters. Japanese hotels generally charge per person, not per room, and charge per person for kids too. Up to six, you may not have to pay if they sleep in the same bed as their parents. For shogakusei, you will almost certainly have to pay.I suspect Its much more common for hotels to not charge for under sixes than for pensions. I think charging for them is a bit stingy, esp. since co sleeping is so established in Japan. Its not as if you're automatically going to get a bigger room by paying for the kids.

Onsens charge for shougakusei upwards, some nearly full price.

I've stayed b&b in so-so good resort hotels in Okinawa without them charging for my kids when the eldest two were 5 and 2, so I was surprised at scouser's example. I reckon a big resort hotel like a Disney one or Club Med would definitely charge, but some of the others will let it slide. We always go in offseason, so maybe that is why.

Please note that skiing for under sixes will probably still be free at the resort in the original post, so its only an end of free tickets for older children. With club activities at Japanese schools eating into many kids' weekends, older kids may not be able to go skiing anyway.

Inawashiro has an interesting approach now. If you join their "Re:born Club," (500 yen for the season), you can ride a couple of their beginner-level lifts as much as you like for free. So not tied to age, but rather to skill level: you only start paying for lift tickets once you can no longer be satisfied with the bunny slopes. Seems like a good way to create new addicts who will likely turn into paying customers.

Basically that means any parent with a beginner kid can get them up to speed over however many times it takes for 1000 yen, or possibly 500 yen if they are a preschooler. Great for the customer, if not necessarily for this lift company and certainly not for other lift companies in general.

That is an interesting thing.

Is it new for the coming season?

No, they did it last year too, though then they only had one novice lift running for free to club members (Hayama #2 on the Chuo side).

This year they are taking the Minero #2 lift out of mothballs (it was closed all last year) on the Minero side, and adding it to the deal.

Nice to see a lift being turned back on again rather than off, for a change.

500 yen for the season? Talk about cheap!

That's basically the cost to join their "frequent flier" program, which comes with enough discounts that it pays for itself the very first day you go.

You do end up on their mailing list, but it is not exactly spam central. (I got a postcard the other day with the notice about the free lift program being expanded to the Minero side, but I think that is the first time I have ever gotten anything from them.) Certainly not a bad deal if you were going to go there anyway.

Basically that means any parent with a beginner kid can get them up to speed over however many times it takes for 1000 yen, or possibly 500 yen if they are a preschooler. Great for the customer, if not necessarily for this lift company and certainly not for other lift companies in general.

Given that they have expanded the program this year, I guess they think it is worth it.

Another interesting thing I just noticed is that this year they have a joint season ticket with Numajiri, Minowa, Nango and Takahata. Were I in the market for a season ticket this year, I would be giving that one a serious look. On the flip side, they seem to have ended their "discount-ticket sister resort" relationship with Grandeco, which is sort of too bad as Grandeco has a much longer season than them or the other ones they have partnered up with. But probably a worthwhile trade-off for them.

Overall, I have to say, I am impressed with what Macearth is doing with the place since they took over last year.