I think this was discussed in another thread but....

The other day I popped into Nojima (Not Kojima) and found refill bottles of ink to feel the ink cartridges with.

It is the first time to find them anywhere, but Nojima stocks them.

I bought two boxes one that has the 5 colours in plus one more that has grey as my printer uses 6 cartridges.

Just under 4000 yen for the two boxes and will fill the cartridges up 5 times each.

Compared to around 7000 yen for a set of cartridges this is much cheaper.

I have printed photos and plain print and the quality seems as good as using actually Canon cartridges.

The first time is a bit messy until you get used to it, and once you have the hole in the cartridge it is easy then to refill.

I haven't seen these refill bottles anywhere else, or it is something that has been newly introduced to the shops, but anyway if you have a Nojima near you you can buy them there.

Works until your print-head clogs, and then it is either buy a new print head, or buy a new printer. We faced this problem recently, while in a panic to get the kid's summer homework projects done, and found that it was cheaper to buy a new printer (~5,000 yen). Of course, spare ink cartridges also cost ~5,000 yen.

Of course, with the cheap printers, they take ink cartridges that have print heads built in. Plus side, no more clogged print heads. Minus side, cost per page goes up. If you want cheaper cost per page, the more expensive printers (15,000 yen and up) will still take individual ink cartridges. Until their print-heads clog up...

I said this in the other thread but.... after putting up with crappy inkjet printers for many years, and going through way too many of them and never being happy with them, I spent a bit more and got a color laser printer.

And it's amazing. Not one problem, the printing is way better, and I still haven't had to replace the toner stuff.

Highly recommended over anything 'inkjet'.

I just bought a cheepee Canon inkjet but when it dies I may go the laser printer route xxx. I think the problem I have with inkjet printers is lack of use seems to kill them pretty quickly. I've had 3 printers over the last 5 or 6 years.... Lack of use is the only reason I can think of as to why they aren't lasting.

Not sure Tubby but the nice colour one I got (Canon) was only about 70,000 yen which seems like a great deal to me.

Can't emphasise how much I like it compared to my hatred for inkjets.:

:lol:

fwiw, I've got a broken colour laser printer and about 20,000 yen in unused spare toner sitting in a cupboard after the printer broke on me. It was a Canon one that cost 10 man. When I used to work in an office, the printer repair man would be in there every month to repair the office printer. I was a hardcore laser one with two-sided printing and one of them fifteen bundle sorter things on the back. A high price is no guarantee of reliability.

Instead of repairing that printer, I just bought a cheap ink jet that has lasted twice as long with the cheapo refill ink. I'm phasing it out now because I bought a pro ink jet to print B3 photos. I have to use Lightroom to print otherwise I get the "too red" Canon problem, but the photos I get out of Lightroom are gorgeous. Prints are way better than looking at photos on a screen.

Inkjets end up costing a ton with the ink and breakdowns.

It's one of those things where it's simply better to get something quality straight up, even though it's more cost up front.

Well my last inkjet lasted 6 years without any problems until it died after 6 years. The one before lasted 5 years, so reliable enough especially as I do buy the more expensive ones. The print quality is very good as well at least it is with the expensive ones. The biggest issue I have is the extortionate price for the ink cartridges.

Now I found the refill bottles that should be less of an issue.

Works until your print-head clogs, and then it is either buy a new print head, or buy a new printer. We faced this problem recently, while in a panic to get the kid's summer homework projects done, and found that it was cheaper to buy a new printer (~5,000 yen). Of course, spare ink cartridges also cost ~5,000 yen.

Of course, with the cheap printers, they take ink cartridges that have print heads built in. Plus side, no more clogged print heads. Minus side, cost per page goes up. If you want cheaper cost per page, the more expensive printers (15,000 yen and up) will still take individual ink cartridges. Until their print-heads clog up...

I used to use refills in England many many years ago, but never had an issue with clogging, so will have to wait and see what happens.

Ink jets don't do 900 ppi, or fuse the toner to be permanent.

Lasers are about the same price as inkies now. For home use purposes, you're not throwing through office loads, so wear n tear should not be an issue.

I never thought I'd need printing at home, until primary school home work came up.

Ink jets don't do 900 ppi, or fuse the toner to be permanent.

Lasers are about the same price as inkies now. For home use purposes, you're not throwing through office loads, so wear n tear should not be an issue.

I never thought I'd need printing at home, until primary school home work came up.

900 ppi, I think you mean DPI? or is PPI something new that I don't know?

If you meant DPI then my printer does 9600x4800 DPI as do any of the high end printers now.

Sorry if your talking about something different then ignore what I wrote!

My laser broke on me but they do produce much crisper text, especially on cheap paper, and you can use pretty much any highlighter pen on them and they won't smudge.

For photos though, ink jets are better.

That last comment surprises me.

I am not printing out photo prints, but the images/photos that I have printed have been much nicer than I have had with an inkjet before now.

I must admit, I would like to have prints of many photos.

But then again I don't find the idea of printing them out on a printer at home appealing.

I'll stick to choosing my favorite shots once or twice a year and getting that company to make a book out of them.

I have had a few of my fave faves made larger and framed as well, they look good.

• 4 months later...

I thought the toner would go on forever, but alas..... I got the must change soon message the other day and I have had to change today.

Replacements are expensive.

Still not bad considering how many months the sampler one lasted (over half a year!)

How many pages you printed in that six months?

Only wondering because my Canon printer is crap as far as ink goes it just drinks it.

It prints really clear I mean really super clear but god does it drink ink.

I change or rather refil the cartridges every few days without fail and I dont do much printing.

Everytime it goes to print it cleans its self and uses some ink.

Everytime iy stops printing it cleans its self and uses some ink and everytime it prints it of course uses ink lots of it I reckon.

Its the best printer I have had for printing quality but by far the worst for ink usuage. So much so I will not buy another Canon .

I really couldn't say.

Not masses all the time, but I use I fairly often and with a few short bursts of big activity every few months.

Just to compare though as my usage hasn't changed ----- when I had the ink jet, I seemed to be changing about every month or two.

And, it was shit.

:lol:

Yes I was quite amazed at how crap they still were and how much ink they used and how expensive it was.

Back to my laser. Changed all 4 now and they are all these very large plastic things. What does one do with them?