• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of times it's snowing so heavily that you can have fresh tracks every run on the nighta in Hirafu. There'll only be a dozen or so people up there so It feels like you practically have the mount

Hate to be negative, but that doesn't sound as much fun as the Kanetsu-do.   Oh well, never mind!

Plenty of times it's snowing so heavily that you can have fresh tracks every run on the nighta in Hirafu. There'll only be a dozen or so people up there so It feels like you practically have the mountain to yourself. The best is when the clouds hover just above the top of the top of the Ace quad. The lights reflect off the base of the cloud and can light up a whole lot of the off-piste as well. I've managed to do Miharashi area at night when conditions are like that. All by my myself floating down through incredibly light powder up to my chest. Now they are good memories. Hirafu nighta rocks.

Sounds great but with only a dozen or so people up there I wonder how they can stay open.

Zero star says they have closed the king lift this year....maybe feeling a little pinch. On the other hand, season passes are extortionate compared to other resorts so maybe that's why....although I don't know how many of them they sell

It's busy during the day....I'd reckon most tourists are knackered and can't be arsed. Also if most are from Oz, it gets bloody cold at night, maybe they just wanna be inside supping beer/wine/kangaroo liquor :)

It seems like an obvious question, but if it's so bloody good and Niseko is such a popular and busy place, then why are there not more people using it?

:confused:

This indeed confused me also!

Many are just stuffed after a big day and in the bars by then, but if you are not up for a big night on the drink Nighta is awesome. It is the time I used to learn, with a lack of people it was ok to do stuff that might see you sprawled on your face because you wouldn't then be impeding others. Plan for this season is board in the day...learn to ski at night.

Wife & I did our honeymoon in Jan / Feb 2012, stayed at Niseko Village. For our final night we went over to Hirafu for one last Nighta session and found it to be busier than NV was during the day!!

( To be fair it was the end of CNY )

Am devestated to hear that they will be stopping the King triple nighta - I was super keen to head up there but Mrs was not so inclined due to -15 and windy conditions ( plus we were pretty well blissed out after our 12 days of goodness)

Was looking forward to checking it out next year ......

It seems like an obvious question, but if it's so bloody good and Niseko is such a popular and busy place, then why are there not more people using it?

2 things:

One the punters pack it in for the onsen and dinner, the next thing would be party mode.

And for those who do, nighta, it's so vast that seeing very few people is common. Plus it would invariably by snowing hard so making it even harder to see other people or tracks.

If numbers were the main determinant in Japanese ski resorts to stay open then we'd probably see a few hundred resorts close next season! If nothing else I'd say they continue it because it gives them great publicity as seen in this thread. Everyone who's tried it raves about it. It's a drawcard for the resort whether many actually end up trying it or not. As others have suggested most people are too buggered at the end of the day to continue into the night and no matter how good it is, it's damned cold up there at night! At the top of the quad it can easily be around -20 or below in the evening. Then add windchill. It's cold.

Yeah I went early April.....snow was icy but still lots of it. It'll be great in season I guess. It's not that far from where I live....I live at the opposite end of the chain of hills. I still have to take a train and a bus, but not far at all, maybe 30 mins all up