Last year we had an awesome trip making our way round with the car. We enjoyed boarding lots of different places with the only thing really keeping us in one area was were we had our accommodation booked (staying Tomamu, Asahikawa, Otaru, Niseko)

This trip I was thinking it would be nice to free style it-- ie not book accommodation until there. With the thougtht being we could follow the weather pattern more. I don't think this would be a problem for most places as they seemed pretty quiet with lots of accommodation options -- was but was nervous that Niseko/Kutchan way may get booked out or very pricey.

So the question is:

If we go early Feb do you think we would find reasonable accommodation available in Kutchan/Niseko area without a prior booking? Or will we get stuck with a run down place for stupid $? Or sleeping in the car (we aren't as crazy as some SJers)?

With the exception of Niseko I think that you'd be able to make last minute bookings at most places and just follow the snow. I think Chinese new year is end of Jan. beginning of Feb. so you would have to be careful about that at the more popular places. If you have wheels though you could stay outside of the resort areas which would make it super easy to book at the last minute. You can just rock up to love hotels and business hotels, which are pretty much everywhere, at any time.

Have fun!

I figure in the cities we'll be fine. Last year we changed our accommodation dates on the fly in Otaru no problem. Pretty nice/fancy hotel for only $100 too. We're happy staying in the cities and not always at resorts (although I'm not sure about love hotels)... just wasn't sure if there are many business hotels in Kutchan? I can't see much on hotel search sites....

And we are booking flights now :)

If that's the case, there are plenty options in Sapporo and you'd be able to grab a hotel at a moments notice I reckon. From Sapporo you could easily travel for day trips to Rusutsu, Niseko, Kiroro, Sapporo Kokusai and of course Sapporo Teine.

Chasing snow is easier said than done. I found myself riding at one resort then onsen,dinner, jump on the net and watch the radar predictions.

I would set off around 6 or 7 and usually arrive at 8 or 9pm. This is a pretty late hour to be finding accom in a strange town using a strange language.

The other thing to consider is that when chasing snow you are always driving in blizzard like conditions and it can take a much longer than you would think.

To travel in the morning you would have to be up at 5 and gone by 6am

I figure in the cities we'll be fine. Last year we changed our accommodation dates on the fly in Otaru no problem. Pretty nice/fancy hotel for only $100 too. We're happy staying in the cities and not always at resorts (although I'm not sure about love hotels)... just wasn't sure if there are many business hotels in Kutchan? I can't see much on hotel search sites....

And we are booking flights now :)

Maybe you could book your Niseko accomodation first and wing the other places.

Start Niseko, then chase the dragon to Kiroro, Sapporo, Furano and even Wakanai!

Thanks everyone.

Maybe we'll compromise. Base ourselves Kutchan way for the first 5 days (easy drive to Rusutsu, Moiwa, Niseko, Kiroro ect) and then see where from there for the last 5 days. I'm thinking if it looks like a good coming head north to Asahikawa or inland to Sahoro way. Otherwise stay in Otaru or Sapporo and be close to the other places there.

Goziamaas what your saying with the nightly travel. Was more thinking of which city to base ourselves in for a few days at a time. The northern and inland resorts can be good I reacon...but you can also get skunked with a dry spell whilst it's still snowing in N. So I'd like to try time a trip that with the forecasts.

Never made it as far north as Wakanai (Pippu was as far as we got). What's up there?

Flights booked for 4th to 16th of Feb. Got to love pre-trip dreaming excitement.

From memory the best forcast is the -6+6 hour radar which doesnt give you a lot of time to move.

I would kill to get tomamu on a 40cm day but you would have to be in sapporo and do the night travel to get it, thats if they even get a dump while you are there.

We got lucky and had a nice 2-30cm day in Tomamu and then followed it to Sahoro last year. Loads of fun.

But then when we were in Asahikawa we had a dry spell.(had a good day in Kamui the year before). Hence this year was thinking how we could do it better.

I think the problem is my Australia driving brain doesn't factor snow and mountainous roads so interprets a 110km drive short 1 hour spin.

Haha its 50klm average if you are lucky, once you are in Hokkaido mindset it feels normal.

One morning it took almost 2 hours to get from rusutsu to kiroro because you just couldnt see anything, it was the deepest snow I have ever seen in my life that day. Niseko and rusutsu only got 5cm from memory, kiroro said 40 or 50cm but it was more like 80

• Like 1