10 day Powder Snowboarding Trip Recommendation

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan a snowboarding trip around late January/Feb 2014 for 10 days or so and am trying to decide where to base myself.

I am an experienced snowboarder, but would not say I am ultra-advanced. But I am experienced enough to hold my own in all conditions I have found myself in. I have been boarding around 15 years with 3-5 days per year average. I kitesurf/surf etc so my whole life is and has been based around board sports. However I have never done any serious backcountry or super steep riding. I have only really ridden in Australia, with a few days in Chile and a few days in Europe.

So basically what I am looking for is a resort that meets my list of priorities in order below. Now I know I am at the whim of nature, and nothing is guaranteed. I have traveled enough for surfing, kiting and paragliding to know you can never depend on mother nature, BUT I want to go to a place in which I am the most likely to experience the below priorities.

1) Powder. Doesn't have to be thigh (or even knee) deep powder (although that would be nice). But powder is the reason I am going to Japan. I want somewhere where I have a very high probablility of powder.

2) Untracked Off-piste. Tree runs ideally!! I am adventurous but not extreme. My ideal picture of snowboarding is through trees in powder. Nothing super steep and gnarly. I'm not looking for secluded back country boarding where no one has been before. A resort that allows me to go off piste a bit, where I don't need a beacon or need to know much about safety. I don't care if it is not new and if there are other people around, but I don't want to be confined to groomed runs, or limited to off piste that is tracked out by midday.

3) Terrain and Variety. I don't need (or want) super steep terrain, but steep enough where I can ride without having to (at least not often) unclip and walk out 500 meters. I don't need a huge resort either. I am only planning on going for 10 days max (and maybe 3 or 4 of those days I will go to smaller resorts such as Asahidake or Miowa). If I find a tree run that I can keep taking different lines to make fresh tracks, I am happy to do that same run for half the day!

5) Culture/Adventure. I know Japan has amazing culture and awesome scenery, but I spent all last year travelling for culture. This trip, I will just be here to ride!!! So if the best option is to be in a Westernised town, surrounded by other Aussies, then so be it. I don't need to venture out to see different areas/resorts and landscapes. I just want to board in un-tracked powder, everything else is secondary.

6) Location I am not afraid to get myself off the beaten track where I am not likely to find many other English speakers (if that is where I am the most likely to find a resort that meets the above priorities). BUT, I will only have around 10 days, so it must be not too far away from an airport. Ultimately I want to land at an international airport and be at my destination that same night for the next full day worth of boarding!

6) Low-Mid Budget options. A village/town where I can find a reasonably priced private room (shared bathroom ok) and cheap-ish meals. Not mad keen on dorms though, but will take them if it is a must. Hoping to spend under $1500 US not including international flights for 10 days (lift tickets, internal buses, food and accommodation). Is this doable in private rooms?

Hope you all can help me pick a resort :-) At this stage I am looking to spend the first 6-7 days at one resort, and I'm leaning towards either Niesko or Rusutsu based on the research I have done. However, I am more than open to any other options if people think there are better places that will meet my priorities above.

After the 6-7 days at the main resort, I will probably spend 3 days at smaller resorts (Miowa, Asahidake etc.) but I will post again with specific questions about that. I am just hoping for some info on the main, bigger resort that I will base myself in at the moment

Cheers,

Tom

All things considered, I'd agree with Tubby and base yourself in Niseko since that's likely to give you the best conditions and options to ride other resorts if you fancy a change of scene. Am planning to be up there around the same time so might bump into you in the trees! :lol:

Niseko

Wouldn't bother with Rusutsu not for that length of stay if it snows and there is a good chance it will you will noty even get close to exploring Grand Hirafu

From what you've described there Niseko is the probably the best option and sure look at day trips to Rusutsu and Moiwa. In terms of your budget it should be doable. I know there's backpacker share accomm you can get for 10 night stays for around Y8,500 per night including a 9 day all mountain lift pass.

Great, thanks for all the replies. It looks like I will base myself in Niseko.

My only concern is that, considering it is one of the most popular resorts in Japan (if not the most), that it would get tracked out pretty quickly on powder days. Is my concern silly? Does it snow enough and is it big enough to be able to make fresh lines most of the time?

Thanks again!

Not silly at all, considering the money and time you're investing. Yes, Niseko is popular and does get get tracked out quicker than other resorts BUT it is a big resort, so some areas get tracked out more quickly than others - you just have to choose your spot well and get up early! Plus the other resorts mentioned get far less traffic than Niseko so you'll have a better chance of finding untracked pow there. I'm sure that you'll get plenty of decent lines in your 10 days. :thumbsup:

Personally I think it's really worth getting yourself a guided tour of Niseko on your first day. As Mick points out it is a big resort, well not so big in terms of piste runs but in terms of the off-piste and sidecountry it's huge. And most people who go to Niseko don't know the mountain very well. Add to that the normally very low visibility and the vast bulk of people end up skiing only a fraction of what the mountain has to offer. So sure there's a few spots that are very easily accessible that get tracked out very quickly but there are others that you'll still find fresh tracks just about all day every day. Getting a guide on your first day to really familiarize yourself with all the possible terrain is well worth it. One bit of advice I'd give is that first thing in the morning the terrain that gets tracked out first is anything easily accessible from lifts in Hirafu. If you start out the day at another side of the mountain you'll often have around an hour or so where there's hardly anyone else there. Then as the morning progresses they'll start opening up gates towards the peak (if conditions allow) giving access to huge amounts of terrain that only get completely tracked out if it hasn't snowed for days. I spent 8 entire seasons in Niseko and even in my last season there I was still finding spots I'd never skied before. There is a huge amount terrain for what is essentially a pretty small mountain. The top of Mt Annupuri isn't even as high as the base of Thredbo!

but Niseko doesn't have that many trees. You're best bet would be Nozawa or Appi Kogen. They both get plenty of snow and definitely have more trees. for domestic travel to most resorts you have to plan on spending about an extra $200. Double it if you plan on leaving. For only ten days both offer enough varied terrain.

OK, thanks again all.

The guided tour sounds great on the first day. Can anyone recommend me a good operator who can show me how to make the most on powder days?

I don't want to just go on a typical Niseko tour that shows you all groomed runs and stuff like that so I am definitely happy to pay more IF I can find someone that gives me the highest probability of making freshies all day ;-)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

As everybody stated, Niseko is the place, BUT it gets tracked down soooo fast. Sure if you know where to go you can find some stash, but i needed like ten days to figure out where to go. The best you can do is obviusly getting local friends, then you're all set. I met some local guy that brought me hiking Yotei, Chise and some Kiroro backcountry steepness, probably the best runs of the trip, so i hardly suggest you to venture out there for one day or two, if you're keen to 3 to 6 hours of hiking in a day for just two runs.

Niseko has plenty of tree runs, but if you're down for trees head to Rusutsu for a day trip, it's tree run paradise, and you can still find freshies at lunchtime.

Just remember: wake up early and get the first chair!!

Hmmm. Now I am a bit confused. Everyone is saying that it gets tracked out super fast, but my number one priority is to find un-tracked runs :-)

So, Niseko is THE place to find fresh lines, but it gets tracked out super fast? Does that mean there is no where left in Japan that has variety and doesn't get all tracked out? Or maybe you just don't want to say so on a forum :D

Are you all mainly talking about the on piste runs? I'm willing to venture out a bit (without hiking for ages), but do even the off-piste runs get tracked out quickly?

Cheers, and sorry for all the same repeated questions, I just want my trip to be as awesome as possible... :)

Does Rusutsu get tracked out as quickly? I know the snowfall is less, but I'm happy to sacrifice powder depth for freshies :-)

It is your first time in Japan.

There's tracked out, and then there is tracked out.

Niseko/Hirafu is a good start and might meet your needs and desires, especially as you don't want to carry Avi gear.

It's relatively easy to get to Rusutsu for a day trip, and if what you find in your 10 days leaves you wanting more, then do an avi course, get some gear and book for some more extreme locations next trip.

Word is spread, i'm sure it was pow paradise back in the days, but obviously if everybody says go to Niseko, well, it's proof that a hell of a lot of people is going there.

Forget about on piste runs, they get tracked out in half an hour. I'm talking about slack/back country off the gates, with 10 to 30 mins hiking (considering the hiking needed to get back to on-piste, as off gate 3-4-5). I'd say if you get the first chair you can get first tracks for one or two runs, then 2-3 more good runs with just a few tracks, then it will still be fun and you will still be able to find some patch but it will be pretty much tracked out. But keep in mind that the longest runs, like the ones from the peak, need one hour from the moment you hop on the chair till you come back to the lift base, so 3 or 4 plus some more slash here and there and you'll be more than happy.

Rusutsu is super fun in my opinion, and it gets plenty of powder (statistics say it gets less snow but you won't notice the difference once you're there), but i wouldn't spend 10 days just there.

Moiwa has short runs but the slack country off the gate is one of the nicest, some decent steepness (compared to the rest of the area, that's not real steepness) and some well spaced tree.

Anyway, as Mamabear stated, Niseko is the perfect start, especially if you don't have avi gear and knowledge. I had your same feelings the past year, but in the end i chose Niseko, and i had the best powder days of my life (and i spent 10 years riding italian mountains for at least 90 days per season). Go there, you won't regret it!!