'I don’t oppose Islam as a country'

Lucky for us they don't get very far in Australia.

Pauline Hanson's career peaked when she appeared on Dancing with the Stars.

Even Abott is a long long way from the Japanese way of doing things.

Japan forbids the establishment of Islamic organizations, so setting up Islamic institutions such as mosques and schools is almost impossible. In contrast with what is happening in Europe, very few Japanese are drawn to Islam. If a Japanese woman marries a Muslim, she will be considered an outcast by her social and familial environment.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...and in the Old Blighty according to Tubby   A shared pain indeed!

Not that I view Wikipedia as authoritative, but it's usually a good place to start, and ``asylum'' is only part of the story:  

Japan forbids the establishment of Islamic organizations, so setting up Islamic institutions such as mosques and schools is almost impossible. In contrast with what is happening in Europe, very few Japanese are drawn to Islam. If a Japanese woman marries a Muslim, she will be considered an outcast by her social and familial environment.

Where the hell did you get this bit of nonsense from Mantas?? Damn what kind of websites are you getting your information from? Did you get this from Cory Bernardi's site or something?

OK . I'll admit. Not a good example, but still not totally incorrect. Less than 100 000 Japanese Muslims (only 10 000 nationals) and less than 30 mosques in a country of 125 million people (as opposed to 340 in Australia with a population of just 24 million). It's hard to imagine that they are welcoming them with open arms.

OK . I'll admit. Not a good example, but still not totally incorrect. Less than 100 000 Japanese Muslims (only 10 000 nationals) and less than 30 mosques in a country of 125 million people (as opposed to 340 in Australia with a population of just 24 million). It's hard to imagine that they are welcoming them with open arms.

That's not because of religious intolerance though Mantas. It's because Japan doesn't really have an immigration program. Only about 1.2% of the population in Japan is not Japanese. And most of them are Koreans or Chinese with a few Filipinos, Brazilians and Peruvians. There's a very, very small population of people from Muslim or any other countries. Also the Japanese as a whole aren't that big on taking up foreign religions be that Islam or Christianity. Buddhism is an exception but they're not really that into it.

Why? Why don't they have an immigration program? I can understand the the overcrowding issue but their record on things like accepting asylum seekers is absolutely appalling. Only 18 people were accepted last year. 18! Can you actually believe that? I don't know how they get away with it when every other western country is doing so much more to help the problem.

98.8% of the population is one race! That's Hitler's dream realised right there.

every other western country is doing so much more to help the problem.

Japan isn't a western country Mantas. Have you somehow missed that fact on your travels there? :rolleyes:

how many has the US taken in?

I think in the coming years, as population decline really starts to bite, Japan is going to have to take its head out of the sand re immigration. One thing I think it should get rid of is 1 nationality rule. Japanese people aren't permitted to have dual citizenship after they become 18. They must choose one or the other. Of course there are ways around it and I know more than a few people who hold 2 passports but an official mandate is needed IMO to attract a skilled workforce to stay in this country.

I don't think the Japanese population would have a problem with that Tubby.

Unless of course the new comers wore a turban, a burka, a hijab, built mosques, had dark skin or yellow skin.

"During 2011, 24,988 individuals were granted asylum" in the U.S.

That sounds like a lot.

and by comparison 18 seems like very few, but how many sought asylum in Japan? 18?

"During 2011, 24,988 individuals were granted asylum" in the U.S.

That sounds like a lot.

and by comparison 18 seems like very few, but how many sought asylum in Japan? 18?

And, the question unanswered (possibly because it was unasked) is "How many sought asylum in the US?" - 24988 granted - but from how many applicants?

Not that I view Wikipedia as authoritative, but it's usually a good place to start, and ``asylum'' is only part of the story:

In 2006 the United States accepted more legal immigrants as permanent residents than all other countries in the world combined.[1] After ethnic quotas on immigration were removed in 1965[2] the number of actual (first-generation) immigrants living in the United States eventually quadrupled,[3] from 9.6 million in 1970 to about 38 million in 2007.[4] Over one million persons were naturalized as U.S. citizens in 2008. The leading countries of origin of immigrants to the United States were Mexico, India, the Philippines, and China.[5] Nearly 14 million immigrants entered the United States from 2000 to 2010.[6]

• Like 1

I think in the coming years, as population decline really starts to bite, Japan is going to have to take its head out of the sand re immigration. One thing I think it should get rid of is 1 nationality rule. Japanese people aren't permitted to have dual citizenship after they become 18. They must choose one or the other. Of course there are ways around it and I know more than a few people who hold 2 passports but an official mandate is needed IMO to attract a skilled workforce to stay in this country.

I had a long conversation with a Japanese Sociology prof about immigration. Her conclusion was Japan will cease to exist rather than have any sand around it's buried head disturbed.

Cultural and racial purity is not something they're about to give up anytime soon. Xenophobia and racism is completely ingrained within Japanese society. And most of us know how slow change can come to some things in Japanese society.

Good job you lived in that good old little international bubble up there in Niseko, Go Native!

Just the very thought of mingling with the unwashed Japanese masses almost everywhere else in Japan must repulse you greatly.

And you've been how many times to Niseko? Anyway I bought my house in Kutchan in which there was plenty of Japan. A very typical Japanese town. Maybe you should check it out sometime.

Hey, GN and GG - perhaps you'd like to get a room? Then you can argue all you like without being a PITA for the rest of us!

Getting back on topic.(the Bogon in video)

I actually like One Nation and fully endore it's existance. It gives all the nut jobs somewhere to congregate so the rest of us can keep an eye on them.

Hey, GN and GG - perhaps you'd like to get a room? Then you can argue all you like without being a PITA for the rest of us!

Hey I didn't start it. Something seemed to annoy him though. Not sure what.