SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
muikabochi

Kandatsu Kogen (Yuzawa) in trouble....again

Maybe that's the lesson here. You may be buying a failing tourist attraction that brings in revenue from outside, but do not assume the local government will automatically give you the go-ahead (!)

I've not been and I don't know whether there is/are much accom or places to eat etc. near Kandatsu, but a year without much income for the ones that are must have them fuming.

There's not that many places right near to Kandatsu actually.

The good thing for them is that there are lots of other Yuzawa skijo nearby, they are close to Yuzawa IC, and they are closer to Kagura and Naeba than other parts of Yuzawa (by a small bit!).

Having said that, I am sure they would much prefer Kandatsu to open, of course!

Does seem pretty dumb that they bought into it without knowing if they could operate or not.

With something so large, assuming doesn't seem like a smart way to go about it.

As muika said, any pensions etc round there are close to the IC and Yuzawa is quite compact.

It's better if not so many other folks are affected. Still it's going to be dozens of winter jobs at the resort and no revenue for company that has come in. Selling season tickets early is what ski resorts do to get money in, so that one has spectacularly backfired.

Damn I was actually hoping to get to Kandatsu this season.

Oh well, plenty of others to choose from.

Roller coaster ride for those folk every year not knowing if the place will be open or not.

Spoke with someone who's friend has a pension near Kandatsu just off Route 17. They said that actually more of their regulars go up to Mitsumata which is a 10 minute drive away.

They seem to be confident of being open.

Whether they have been "approved" by Yuzawa town or not yet, don't know.

Are they owned by the same people as Madarao? On their FB they were advertising some sort of tie in or season pass for/with Madarao

MacEarth, I thought.

Owners of Kandatsu though change quicker than the seasons here in Japan, so it's hard to keep track. ;)

And the pics that muika has posted in the past are just amazing from the top there.

The views from the top are the best thing about Kandatsu.

They closed off the best run.....it's kinda small....it's kinda underwhelming.

Yes those things. The most annoying being my favourite course closed on weekdays. I hate that. :grandpa:

Too many moguls for my liking too. If there were less moguls I would probably like it much more as there's quite a few steep runs, could really power down those.

I just never seem to love it when I go, despite the fine views.

It's a once a season place for me - when it's open of course. ;)

Kandatsu to open again this coming season.

Hurray! (I'll go once for the photos!)

* Presuming that they have permission this time.

:lol:

Obviously they want to take advantage of the huge influx of people to nearby Mt Granview.

Those MacEarth guys must be either geniuses or masochists, running around buying all the troubled ski areas they can find.

I guess time will tell which one it is.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.