Hi, I have some questions I was hoping someone who has been to both Niseko and Furano could answer.

I am looking to go to either resort in late January/early Feb 2014, with my partner and 10 month old baby. We are both solid snowboarders and have been to Japan a few times - Kiroro, Hakuba, Hotaka Bokujo, Fukushima, also Canada and Europe so have seen a range of resorts. This time we have narrowed it down to Niseko or Furano. With a baby we will probably only ride 10 x half days, so will hope to make the most of the mornings.

1. As far as terrain goes, is Niseko or Furano better for snowboarders. Ie, do either have frustrating flat sections that may require strapping out, and can a snowboarder go between sections easily.

2. We aren't really looking for backcountry riding, but definitely like riding the ungroomed edges of trails, walls, a few side trees, or any tree runs that might be 'legal'. Which would be the better mountain for this?

3. What is the comparison of powder in late Jan/early Feb for both resorts. Not looking for thigh deep powder, but 20 cm each day and excellent ground cover would be nice!

4. We are a family, so not looking for super expensive accommodation or eating and will probably go for Japanese over western food choices. Which resort is better on the pocket?

5. Which resort is better located for convenience of accommodation to snow, village, shuttle etc.

Thanks for your help!

From what you've said I'd say you're better off going to Furano. Niseko would be a better choice if you were looking for mostly off-piste and really deep powder but for just hitting around knee deep at the side of the piste Furano is much better suited. Furano doesn't get anywhere near as much snow as Niseko but it's quite a bit colder in the interior of the island so what falls is excellent quality. One thing you'll probably get in Furano which is very rare at that time of year in Niseko is some sunshine. You should find accommodation options are a little cheaper in Furano.

• Like 1

One thing, and don't know if this is important to you... Furano doesn't get anywhere near the wft?! amounts of snow that Niseko does. A different kind of feel in that respect.

never neen to Furano but as far as snow quality and fresh stuff I would think Niseko would be good.

Although I hate myself saying this Rusutsu would be the best, ski in and out, short bus trip and decent snow big hotel for the kids and it is very kid friendly.

However late January would be best anytime in February will be bad :D I don't like babies they make to much noise

Not looking for thigh deep powder, but 20 cm each day and excellent ground cover would be nice!

You wont get this in interior hokkaido. Most of the precipitation falls on the western side

However late January would be best anytime in February will be bad :D I don't like babies they make to much noise

Yeah. don't blame you. I don't like other people's babies that make noise either ;)

Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate it. As far as the Furano snow fall amount goes, what would you compare it to? Eg, Whistler but drier? Honshu? or something completely different. We definitely would be disappointed if we went for days without any snow during the 10 day period we plan to go.

Last year (season was average) that was the only year I watched it though.

Isn't the bus ride 3+ hours from the airport you have a little kid they are going to struggle to travel that far and no one likes an over tired screaming baby for that reason alone I wouldn't go to Furano.

I am sure it is better than lots of resorts but travel time sucks.

Every ski resort has dry spells at times; Furano is a pretty decent bet for good conditions in late Jan early Feb.

Still, I have to agree with Seemore that for Sbaker3's original post Rusutsu seems quite appropriate.

Furano.

Go self catering. Some great beef at the super down from Kit. A great ramen place within walking too, plus the 7-11 with bacon and fresh eggs.

Cook what the kids like. It's important.

Furano.

Go self catering. Some great beef at the super down from Kit. A great ramen place within walking too, plus the 7-11 with bacon and fresh eggs.

Cook what the kids like. It's important.

What about that other place you went too with the pool and the cute waitress?