'I'm driving but I'm drunk' taxis

I can't remember the name, but the taxi companies offer a service where two drivers come....one to drive you home and the other to drive your car home.

What's that service called?

And...how does insurance work on that? Say if the taxi driver driving your car had an accident....

We have a few such companies here in Oz - Costs not much more that a cab fair and you don't have to do the walk of shame going back to pick up your car the next day

One is called Tandem drivers and I believe there are others that come to you on a fold up scooter, put in your boot and drive back

I used to use it quite a lot because of a previous job I had that involved company (forced) drinking parties. It's not really that much more expensive than taking a taxi. Quite convenient and hopefully helps to reduce the number of drunk drivers on the road.

"unten daikou" or just "daikou" I think its called.

You ride in your own car, so the provider doesn't need a car licensed or insured to carry paying customers. They can use a much cheaper car, typically a kei, just to follow behind and pick up the driver.

As long as you're in the car he's covered....I think. I remember my wife was going to lend her car to a friend who was visiting and I told her to make sure about the insurance coverage. Sure enough... our insurance wouldn't have covered an accident. Depends on your insurance plan.......again, I think.

My insurance covers anybody I give permission to drive my car. At an extra excess.

Policies differ anyway you like.

The business driver policy, can be tailored to an extent.