Air conditioners......cheaper in September?

If you've got kids or want them, try and buy a washing machine with a quick wash cycle.

The school they go to may assume that its perfectly normal for everyone to wash and dry things ready for 7am the following morning, even when their kids have extra curricular stuff and don't come home till 7pm.

Do your kids do the mad bukatsu-taking-over-their-complete-life thing, Mr Wiggles (and indeed other people with sprogs)?

Not just yet. They're too young. They do other things after school/kindy a few times a week though, sports, dancing, maths at Kumon etc. I'd like them to play with kids of similar ages from around the block like I used to, just doing their own thing with nothing structured by grown-ups, but unfortunately such kids do not exist.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the typical Japanese view of seasons defined by dates on the calendar, I reckon they might start selling them off mid August.   Swimming? On September 1st! Never! etc.

I got that impression from Hokkaidonians too, Tubby.   Not in a bad way of course. They just love their northern island.

howabout having 2 sets of uniform, 2 sets of sportswear.

At elementary school, there is no uniform, so it's just sportswear. Usually, the swimming costume. Buying two as you say is perfectly sensible and I guess that's what some working couples must do.

Compared to the West, Japanese parents have much less of a life to be honest. There is a lot of prepare this, take your kids here, come and watch your kids do this, "volunteer" to do this. Certainly in inaka anyway. With this prevailing culture, washing and drying a swimsuit for the next day just becomes another of those jobs you have to do because everyone else is doing them, your missus's mother must have had to do it and she didn't complain, etc., etc.

I had to do pool duty a couple of times during the summer and without prompting from me, the first thing I heard another mother say was a complaint about having to book time off from work in advance for pool duty that will be cancelled if it rains on the day. Its clear that not everyone in 2013 thinks its the best way to do things.

What would happen if u didn't "volunteer" for stuff?