Anyone else ever bought something from overseas and then a couple of weeks later received post from Fed Ex asking for a seemingly random amount of money?

I've had 3 'reminders' now, but no intention of paying - mostly because they don't even clearly say what the damn bill is for. Presumably some import tax related stuff.

:confused:

It's happened a few times to me, I ignored as well. One particular time after awhile I started getting letters from a solicitor acting on their behalf threatening legal action if I didn't pay. (forgotten who the carrier was, FedEx, DHL, or someone...) In the end I called the solicitor with my intention to pay, then I had a family emergency overseas and totally forgot about it, but they never contacted me again, so I guess they just let it go... it was only something like 2000 yen... probably cost them way more than that to pay the solicitor....

The solicitor thing must surely be just a stage in the automated process of trying to get people to pay. No solicitor would spent their time contacting someone like that for 2000 yen.

I kind of recall getting the solicitor one.

I kind of recall 'scoffing' at it and having a bit of a chuckle.

For me the whole thing was like some kind of junk/nuisance mail and I treated it as such.

The bill is for the consumption tax on the `imported' item. If you don't pay it, I assume the carrier gets stuck for the tab (doubt very much the tax office just says ``oh, well nevermind'').

The bill is for the consumption tax on the `imported' item. If you don't pay it, I assume the carrier gets stuck for the tab (doubt very much the tax office just says ``oh, well nevermind'').

If they explained that in the invoice they sent, and exactly what the invoice was for, I might be more inclined to pay it.

I think it depends on the item one imports. Like DVD. IN Germany the delivery guy at the door collects it. Better than paying for public transport all the way to the customs office to pay and collect it

I actually phoned them (solicitor) and spoke to a human in English... and yes, I've had the delivery person taking the tax as well here.

That's fine, sunrise. But it's hardly top class solicitor work is it?

And as I and a few others have said, when you get a bill and you don't know what it's for - at all - why should you pay it?

Sorry, I'm just going to ignore it. They can get their top flight lawyers onto me.