Just a heads up to other people who like me until today might have ignored 'points' and stuff on Visa or other credit cards.

I just phoned up and claimed 8000 yen worth of Amazon gift cards through points I had got over the last year or however long.

Feel a bit :doh:

Worth a shufty.

I always convert my visa points into gift vouchers.

Last year I ended up with 33000 yens worth of vouchers some of which I used for a hotel.

I actually use my visa quite a lot on purpose just to build up points.

I have a lot of bills such as my phone, gas, etc charged to my credit card.

Serves two purposes, easy to pay everything in one go and builds up points even if I dont use the card.

Of course if you dont pay everything off in one go then there is no point because you would pay interest fees.

I always pay my card off the following month in full without fail.

Gaining these points reaally is worth it as it is a genuine gift for using their card, and if like me you pay it all off in full each month then you win and the card company looses out.

I think in many cases people don't pay off their cards in full each time so they make money from them.

In my case they don't make any money from me, but I make money from them.

I guess I am both a very good and very bad customer as I always pay everything back each month without fail, which they like as it is easy and no hassle having to chase up the money, but at the same time not a good customer because they do not make a penny from me!

It is a win win situation for me!

So I happily use my card even though I have the cash!

same here.

Some points converted to FF points (just booked the cub to Japan for the season on points - thank you Qantas)

Will have a gander at rewards in case there are any good value items that will make perfect Christmas Gifts, the rest in gift cards.

Christmas shopping for extended family is often 80% done on reward point gift cards.

Wife and I did a biz-class visit to two US destinations on cc points a few years back, and will probably be doing another next year.

A tip for those who buy JR East commuter passes: you can tack on a Y10K cash reload of your Suica card each time you renew your pass if you use cc at the machine. every little bit helps!

Yep, these days you're missing out if you don't pay your leccy bill and whatnot by credit card.

We do it with ANA and JAL cards for airmiles. You don't need that many to start redeeming them on domestic flights.

I don't suppose I need to promote Hokkaido on a ski forum but Okinawa is well nice too.

My VISA has a "retirement" for points - If they aren't used they die. So ... I have to make sure I get in there and use them before that happens - bad enough having to pay for t he "loyalty" program, without losing the bloody points!

We did out recent Samoa trip on Visa and Amex points,

P aying all business expenses racks up the points pretty quickly.

Have an auto direct debit arrangement at the end of each billing cycle so I never get interest charges.

I convert to gift card things.

It's best to time it though because if you have a certain amount you get much more.

For example:

350 points = 1000 yen gift card

1000 points = 4000 yen gift card