Thanks again. I will get on to it. I do have interpreting background on the diplomatic/social/technical with government and company level. Lot easier than dealing with a smal companey boss who has hangup with paying up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or just give us no information at all, and we can make wild guesses and make jokes!  

Obviously I don't know if there are any positions currently available but if you don't want to work for a Japanese company or teach english (or Japanese) and you want to live where it snows a lot then Niseko probably has more opportunities for bilingual Japanese than just about anywhere else in the country. Worth checking it out.

We're Aussies goz. We all think cars are essential. After living in Niseko though for so long I met a lot of people who even by their 30's had never had a license. Incomprehensible for us but especially people who'd come from big cities like London had just never worried about getting a license to drive.

Rego can be reasonably expensive in Japan but the price of second hand cars are dirt cheap compared to Aus.

I don't think that's expensive. In Scotland it'd cost you 20 quid AT BEST to ride the same distance between Yokohama and Tokyo by train, that's around 3000¥. A bus may cost you 10 quid, 1500¥

Well let's just say compared to Australia, Hokkaido is a very, very cheap place to live. Anyway if you landed a half decent job in Niseko, earning say around Y4-5 mill a year the cost of public transport wouldn't be much of a concern. Hell just buy a cheap car.

I'm talking jobs with foreign owned companies. They love getting bilingual Japanese staff. No issues with organising work visas and they really need and want bilingual staff. They're like gold!

'Gold' being paid just 4-5 million yen?

:confused:

Sounds like a raw deal to me that.

Well let's just say compared to Australia, Hokkaido is a very, very cheap place to live. Anyway if you landed a half decent job in Niseko, earning say around Y4-5 mill a year the cost of public transport wouldn't be much of a concern. Hell just buy a cheap car.

I'm talking jobs with foreign owned companies. They love getting bilingual Japanese staff. No issues with organising work visas and they really need and want bilingual staff. They're like gold!

Sounds awesome to me

Even from German standards.... They are so capitalist their idea is reward the employers so there will be more employment ... certainly a convincing argument and it works in Australia ... but the Germans created 400 Euro jobs so that employers can avoid getting full time staff. Most have to work 2 of them jobs .... Shit wages. Germans consider themselves lucky if they are getting paid 1000 Yen p/h. Japanese working holiday makers are blown out how well us Aussies get paid on the low skill employment.

Donno if anything is called having a choice ... I am not geeting into a debate abou zat ... but considering I had held a Japa passport and my parents are Japa by blood/birth, I kinda feel pretty limited when I have to go thru the same process as any Gaijin and wait for 3 months (without being able to work) to get a temporary resident status

Average Japanese household income for the whole country is about 5.3 million yen. I dunno what the median is, but it's definitely lower because about two thirds get less than the average. The further you get from the big cities, the more likely it is, with Okinawa rock bottom. About third of households nationwide live on 3 million yen or less, the same 250,000 a month talked about in the eikaiwa thread. Average household income is down by about 1.2 million a year from the peak which was 1994ish.

In rural Hokkaido, outside Hatoyama's relatives, rich farmer's son, the usual taxpayer/printed money-funded jobs like schoolteachers,komuin, and policemen, and the odd restaurant/pension owner where its all cash in hand, they'll not be many people on what is 20,000 a day average. Typically I guess you'd need to work for a good company and to have been there at least five years. You may also have to do considerable unpaid overtime.