• Less than 400,000 yen
    • Less than 500,000 yen
    • More than 500,000 yen
    • More than 1,000,000 yen!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember the last time I designated funds into a savings account.

I am commision based though so some months I have lots of money in the bank other times none.

I live of credit cards have a huge amount of debt so gone are those days.

I assume you mean discretionary funds that could be saved after the necessities -- food/clothing/shelter/booze/lift pass/etc. -- are covered, but you don't seem to realize that discretionary funds could go for additional skiing/boarding, invalidating the concept of discretionary.

Lesseee...

On JET (take home around 265,000p/m). Easy save 100,000 possibly more if you were actually 'saving'. Of course i spent it all on getting shitfaced in osaka and that dump of a hole nagoya.

<fell in love with snowboarding had about a million yen saved at the end of third year despite having a very large third year on jet and ended blowing a significant heap on moving to nagano>

Then dispatch in suzaka: subsidised housing, salary of 240,000 take home around 200,000 - Saved close to 40,000p.m until snowboard season then byeybyes a lot of it.

<had a decent sum saved, returned to the UK, bought a nice new laptop, had to pay out on a house, thought id find a job quickly and sorta did, but it was temp work. Then spent about 4 months eating right to the core of my savings as an unemployed dosser before packing my bags for korea with the help of a new credit card>

Then Korea... take home around 2,300,000 won which was around 180,000ish give or take p/m. Saved about 1million/month. Then blow it all on extravagant trip every Jan/feb for a month to japan in the middle of peak season.

<Had some decent savings. Quickly vanished though by the time i hit japan and had to sit out a month as well as sort out a new gaff plus deposits etc - yay leo palace! - quickly back to zero again>

Then Japan.2 (Saitama): Salary of 230,000, take home minus rent of 45,000 etc put me at 170,000 so savings were around 20,000-40,000/month. Come snow season BYEBYE!!! Oh yeah, and pro rata so realistically 10 months/year salary.

<Quit job in July, lost a months salary, had all kinds of setting ups and pay in arrears issues. Ended up with first real wage around October 31st. Was really at less than zero living on less than 130,000 yen for both august and september. At one point had to actually decide if i wanted to buy a fork for a guest or just not bother.>

Then Japan 2.2 (Nagano); Salary 240,000 but suddenly put on national health and pension so deductions (inc rent - 12,000) took me back down to 190,000. Savings were cushty at about 40,000/month despite this. And even including snow season, season pass and no accommodation meant still in the black in the snow months after the initial outlay. Was just making headway when they shitcanned me.

<Thailands been easy, but burned through my savings. Had no job in effect from Mid March, but backdated pay kinda gave me some solid buffers on top of the money saved from selling shit in Japan. Completed three months here with around 2 months of japan wages and havent exactly scrimped for anything. Still have a wee buffer but now i have to buy that bloody tefl, so by the time i hit korea, ill be back living off my credit card for a few months>

Thailand: Salary: 32,000 baht.month (about 96,000 yen/month). Rent of 3500 b/pm. I await my deductions since i wont see my first pay cheque until the 5th, but im not optimistic. If you plan on doing anything fun, youre living pay cheque to pay cheque. I could easily burn 50,000 in Bangkok on almost nothing in a month. I reckon ive got it down to about 20,000 here. So maybe 10,000 baht/month (about 30,000 yen) at a push if im sat in with the occasional weekend trip to koh chang. But since the job didnt start until June, well, pretty much down to my last 15,000 baht or thereabouts. Sorta timed it well, but anticipated a May start but pro rata yet again (until late september then a month off and then until late March) with a late start because the local boe wouldnt pay the school half a month salary to cover the foreign teachers for the start of term in mid may.. Which is of course why i feel absolutely no shame in leaving my contract two months early and doing a tefl before buggering off back to korea.

Basically i am the fool who is easily parted with his moneys.

ETA: I should also add i NEVER do private lessons. Never ever. Not even if im starving. I hate the damn things. They always screw up my wind down.

After paying for a wedding and then moving to Sapporo, I spunked 1.5 mill away that I had saved up. Coupled with having dropped a million a year in salary from the same move, Im royally f**ked financially. Until I get a better paid job or decent 2nd job I will always rue the move. Whilst I love the city and the temps sure are nice in summer (and of course the winter will rock), Im starting to wonder whether, from a financial point of view, I've made the correct decision.

As I am self employed it varies greatly for me from month to month.

I save anything between 50000 yen a month and as much as one million.

Over the year I usually manage to snooker away around 4ー6 million yen.

After paying for a wedding and then moving to Sapporo, I spunked 1.5 mill away that I had saved up. Coupled with having dropped a million a year in salary from the same move, Im royally f**ked financially. Until I get a better paid job or decent 2nd job I will always rue the move. Whilst I love the city and the temps sure are nice in summer (and of course the winter will rock), Im starting to wonder whether, from a financial point of view, I've made the correct decision.

obviously not the most sound financial decision,. But youre not getting younger and those snow miles need to be enjoyed while youve still got the energy for it. For me, im waiting until the knees go, then ill start thinking about my future. And by this i mean paying some cash to the national health so i get some kind of pension assuming they still exist. And if they dont. Theres always monasticism and god. I could do that i think. Or just drop a gram of bath salts run around brighton town center with my underpants on my head, a pencil up my nose, screaming WIBBLE!!! and get sectioned. Plenty of options for retirement.

ETA: Note to future self: Should probably pick a more conservative town than brighton.

yeah that was our thinking.....if we don't do it now, we never will. Just having serious 2nd thoughts about the financial side of it......that said we're here now and to decide to cut our losses and return south for financial reasons would also be ridiculous due to the money of setting up again down there.......and also I haven't had my awesome winter yet!!! :party:

No, but I work elementary and the hours are ridiculously low so I can (and need to) work another few hours a week to increase my salary. I have a 5 hr pw week eikaiwa gig in the pipeline and that should boost my wage up to almost what it was before

yeah that was our thinking.....if we don't do it now, we never will. Just having serious 2nd thoughts about the financial side of it......that said we're here now and to decide to cut our losses and return south for financial reasons would also be ridiculous due to the money of setting up again down there.......and also I haven't had my awesome winter yet!!! :party:

Crikey, if you were to think about the financial aspect of things, you probably wouldn't have moved to Japan either.

Suck it up for a few months, go cheap, and then reap the rewards. :D

Crikey, if you were to think about the financial aspect of things, you probably wouldn't have moved to Japan either.

Suck it up for a few months, go cheap, and then reap the rewards. :D

you haven't spent much time in Scotland, have yu?! ;)

so long as you dont have kids youre still ahead of the game. And marriage is always a canny investment (without kids).