Just ordered my Birdman 160 it will be intersting to see what the end cost will be including shipping and any GST

Well done. The cost, whatever it is, will be forgotten as soon as you point that thing into a powder stash!

I reckon your a bit of an ideas man seemore :thumbsup: and are good at sniffing out a bargain.

But will be interested to hear cost. I was put off by freight /taxes/ my uncertaintity with some

aspects of freight forwarding so haven't gone down that path for buying a board yet.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My input   Itermediate rider 80-85Kgs (depending) 6' who can handle Pow and trees but still not overly confident of going full tilt in trees and dropping off cliffs and features.   Burton Fish 156

Just ordered my Birdman 160 it will be intersting to see what the end cost will be including shipping and any GST

Have you honestly found the ESTs to be that good?

We have just made the move away from the ESTs with the last 3 boards purchases.

My 3 youngest were on 2 different length Joysticks and a Custom, but they have just demo-ed some boards before purchasing (all Never Summer) an Evo, a Cobra and a Raptor. They demo-ed boards from a number of makers before settling ALL on the NS boards. Their only MUST when demo-ing was they MUST NOT have EST. All 3 have had a gutful of them for varying reasons and to varying extremes.

(Sorry not strictly Powder Board talk - although the Cobra and Raptor will go well in POW I reckon).

Hey mb

I've never used the est's before but from what you and others are saying I may not like - I have yet to try them out. However the idea of being easier/ quicker to adjust binding position / swap bindings to other boards (although the supposed benefit of feeling the snow better would only be recognised by other est boards) is appealing if carrying a quiver but if they dont work so good then I may take the other road and off load the malolo and the est bindings and stick to the extra bolts and base plates.

Rucky, I'd be open to hearing others people's experiences and wouldn't damn the EST system based on our personal experiences with it, but it wasn't ideal for us. Like you, it was the ease of adjustment that had us hooked not long after they were released.

At that time two boards were purchased with EST, both Joysticks, different sizes - bigger for #2son, next size down for #3. That would be maybe 5 years ago (they blend into one another). The reason why ease of adjustment was a biggie was because the kids were still growing and their stance was changing - in fact boards got swapped. About 2 or 3 years ago #2 bought the Custom also with EST. He was still a big fan of EST at this stage. His Joystick had not been adjusted much while he had it because he hasn't really grown in the years since purchase, and his Custom has been similar set and forget.

However #4 inherited #3s Joystick when he outgrew his Dom Grom, and #3 has been using #2s Joystick since he bought the Custom - there has been a lot of growth, therefore a HEAP of binding adjustments with these two. And we keep finding them loosened off and sliding around the board after a few runs. #4 son took #2 sons Custom into competition earlier this year (more binding adjustments) and now #2 son is finding similar, although not to the same extent as the others.

Admittedly we are talking about more adjustments than would be done for a fully grown adult, and #3 has gone from about a 5ft2 little boy to 6ft3 107kg muscle bound Water Polo Center Forward (so not easy on the board....) - but it strikes me that the ADVANTAGE of the EST system /it's adjustability/ is also its downfall.

All IMHO and IMHE.

I would like to try the EST system I think it would be easy although I wouldn't base a buying decision on pro or con there are so many boards out there to try

Well done. The cost, whatever it is, will be forgotten as soon as you point that thing into a powder stash!

I reckon your a bit of an ideas man seemore :thumbsup: and are good at sniffing out a bargain.

But will be interested to hear cost. I was put off by freight /taxes/ my uncertaintity with some

aspects of freight forwarding so haven't gone down that path for buying a board yet.

Just love a bargain Rucky I have already bought and sold enough snow gear this year and made enough money to deck me out for nothing (it's a hobby and I enjoy it)

The Birdman was 40% off same as the bindings so I will calculate once I have received it and post.

I would like to try the EST system I think it would be easy although I wouldn't base a buying decision on pro or con there are so many boards out there to try

Wouldn't try that system.....13 hours behind!

Split the altered genetics and use it when you come BC camping with me in september! Its dead weight in your bag on a flight to japan.

Thats exactly what the fella from the split fest said about the NS summit I just brought :lol:

Sounds like Rucky has the makings of a definite quiver...

How many boards have you got now RI?

Oh..And the Summit was sold in a split as well as standard - seems to me the perfect board for it!

Sounds like Rucky has the makings of a definite quiver...

How many boards have you got now RI?

Oh..And the Summit was sold in a split as well as standard - seems to me the perfect board for it!

My trusty 156 Allian Backman

plus new/ secondhand additions of

165 NS Summit

160 Fish (now est - cant be split)

162 Malolo (est)

No more till decisions are made, don't know which ones to carry

(that I enjoy the most as haven't ridden any yet - but pretty sure the fish has a spot)

although will sneak one into wifes board bag. Will probably have to suck it up and

carry all.

Hmmmm! Maybe one more, smaller softer flex reverse camber fun board for chits and giggles :confused:

Heavy on the big boards there, I reckon you'll narrow that down a touch after riding them.

There will be a favourite ;)

If you are looking for a chits and giggs board can I recommend you give the Stepchild Jibstick a demo.

I gave that a burl (the men's board) for shigs when I was doing demo week in Niseko 2 seasons back in March and had a blast.

It is still on my radar to fill that niche.

Just haven't been able to justify the quiver when living in Perth.

I'm just living vicariously through those who do at the moment :lol:

I'd like to pick up the Jones powder board...but will only be in Japan for part of 1 more winter :(

......but Niseko is worth the new board lol

Iagreewithhim ^

Total price?

Not sure yet the board was $418 plus approx $90 shipping so near enough $500AU depends on any GST bindings about $220AU

And I just bought a 2013 159 Smokin Pinner (shop soiled) for $200US plus shipping :D Smokin have got a sale on all 2013 Boards (shop soiled) for $200US.

Note to self "STOP BUYING BOARDS YOU HAVE ENOUGH"

She is coming with me, touring Honshu, not sure if I will make it to Hokkaido unfortunately but with me you never know. There is so many people I would like to catch up with but so much new stuff I want to explore. Time will tell.

I have flights booked, that is all, thats how I roll.