Great stuff NECK.

Where's your next one? ;)

Me too, really enjoying these Neck.

Thanks guys :) glad you like them.

Was thinking to get across to Gifu and have a peep that way....

It doesn't look that bad from those pictures. I don't think any of the smaller ski-jo's can make a go of it financially but from what I can see the structures look sound.

The lifts don't look much different to Sanosaka's that are still going. Sanosaka have given up on the electronic tickets, so it doesn't matter if Aokiko's old barriers work or not.

Some relatively successful Japanese resorts have old lifts or old cabins just sitting there rotting away right next to the courses, so that in itself isn't such a problem.

The current situation with it sounds like it's complex, which is a shame because it's a pretty spot and more could be made of it.

I think has a lot more going for it than the typical small skijos that make up the once 700-odd skijos in Japan.

Out of interest, and seeing that you live close by so know the infrastructure better etc Mr W, if you were to be given the keys so to speak, what things would you do to make it a successful operation? If anyone else would like to chip in, please do......interested to see what people think would improve a dead or dying operation.

I don't have any great knowledge or anything, but Stem's suggestion of a Club Med sounds pretty good.

In the offseason it would have more going for it than Sahoro's Club Med because it's right there on the lake.

Club Med is all about the kids' club, and a kid's club there would be able to do loads of activities.

The other thing with Club Med is that they can do the thing most Japanese hotels really struggle with, which is market themselves properly to non-Japanese.

You can have a lovely hotel and great staff but you've present yourselves properly to get the punters in and paying what you lovely hotel and great staff deserve.

Do Club Med in Sahoro do as well these days (now that there's many more options available for people who want to not speak or hear Japanese, eat Western food and be surrounded by other gaijin while in Japan?

Dunno.

I can't afford to stay there, but I would so I could have my kids looked after by the kids' club and eat and drink myself stupid because its all included. Such hotels are two a penny in places like the Caribbean and Cancun, my brother stayed in one with a beer/mixer fridge and spirits on wall-mounted shot dispensers in each room, but are rare in Asia. The idea of babysitting and parents having time to themselves hasn't exactly caught on.

If there are cheaper Japanese hotels that look after kids for the same long hours, I'd be glad to hear of them. :friend:

Ones with free bars in particular. :happyshades:

Even free bars with GAIJIN :omg: :omg: :omg:

Our friends have been to the Ishigaki one and they loved it. If you go when there's a deal on, eat at the hotel (and it does looks good) and use the activities they provide, it's could be great value compared to a regular hotel and using outdoor companies. In a regular hotel, every mojito's going to be 1,000 yen. For a family, outdoor activities can burn through 40,000 yen or more in half a day.

fwiw, some pensions charge nearly full price for kids. Some places would cost us 30,000 plus to stay in a small room with three beds wedged into it.

They seem to do well and get a lot of people to go.

Convenience is big for some people and price wise it's hard to beat as well.

If that's your kind of thing, of course. Would not go myself, oh no.