So SJ users seemed to show quite a bit of interest in the Arai Mountain Resort and Spa thread I started a while ago. I actually went to Aokiko a few weeks before my Arai trip, to check out how it looks now and to take a few photos.

Aokoiko ski resort closed just 5 years ago and I know the area well. I used to ride there fairly often during the first few winters I lived in Nagano. it was the middle resort of the Sun Alpina linked resort area and there were a few pretty fun lines between Kashimayari and Aokiko.

I had actually visited the resort a few times since it closed, but only during peak winter season when the snow base was concealing the general decay of the place. It was fun to snowshoe around last season while I was out with injury.

Going back there this May, I got to see just how much the elements had taken their toll on the place. The snow had completely melted, but the vegetation still hadn't fully rebounded from the weight of the winter base. I imagine that by the middle of summer, most of the smaller structures would be lost under a sea of vegetation.

It was a little sad to see the place that I had enjoyed riding in the not so distant past become what it is now. That said, the resort was leaking money and was on the way out years before it finally closed. Now it sits abandoned and rotting away, well beyond being able to be saved.

This is how it looks now.

I'm sure just the scrap metal value of the 5 lifts, with all their carriages, must be hundreds of thousands of dollars....

Are the other two resorts on either side still managing to survive?

Must have been a blow to them with the middle bit closing, you'd think.

There are interested parties in wanting to buy Aokiko but most people are very skeptical that anyone could make a go at it.

Aokiko during the week used to get a lot of beginner skiers school trips.

To the north is Sanosaka, a niche resort that has one of the best mogul courses in the valley, therefore attracting very good mogul skiers. Sometimes you might find the Japanese team training there.

To the south is Kashimayari. I haven't been for a few years but I heard it is doing okay. The owners are the same company that bought the Tokyu group out that ran lifts at Happp, Iwatake and Tsugaike.

Actually not too sure on that Ski.

I am not in the loop or anything so everything is hearsay.

It seems the owners are reluctant to sell, the land is owned by local residents who I think have just given up on it.

There was one foreign owned enterprise that wanted to buy it but so far have been unsuccessful.

The base area building has huge holes in the walls and roof, so I doubt anyone would buy it to run as a ski resort again. The lifts are definitely done. Pretty sure this place has seen it's last season as a ski resort unfortunately....

It doesn't look that bad from those pictures. I don't think any of the smaller ski-jo's can make a go of it financially but from what I can see the structures look sound.

Structures are far from sound. Huge sections of roof collapsed and gaping holes in other parts. One pretty large hole in the wall of the main building, plus several smaller ones. The hotel opposite the resort on the lake front looks to be operating, but I can't imagine who would be staying there... Maybe it's just occupied by the owner?

I always thought someone like Club Med could have had a go there.

Lots of activities on the lake during the summer months, winter on the hill, and even a short bus ride to the larger ski hills.

I'm supprised that they haven't tried to sell the chairs and gates to somewhere like happo or somewhere nearby for spares. They look like they could be still in reasonable nick.