It looks like the dude is on the way out.

What a story he has hey.

Was just reading comments from people, hope he gets better etc. Hope he gets better?

He's 94 years old and has been ill with a critical lung condition.

Is getting better a good thing, even if possible?

Let the man go naturally and rest in peace I say.

An absolute inspiration to all people everywhere, is he!

Having been downtrodden, jailed, elevated to President, and now in decline. My only wish is that his legacy remains as a signal light to humanity, my fear is that he will be forgotten within a few years.

I wonder how much nonsense that Chinless wonder Cameron will say about Mandela being a good man or an inspiration.....even although he was one of the top (not chairman....my bad) Young Conservatives at the time when Thatcher condemned Mandela as a terrorist and how he was part of the "fact-finding" mission sent by the Conservatives and sponsored by the Botha regime to find dirt on the anti-apartheid movement.

In 1985 he was a top member of the Young Student Conservatives who produced the infamous "Hang Mandela" posters, then in 1989 he was working in the Tory Policy Unit at the central office that went on an anti-sanctions fact finding mission alongside pro-apartheid lobby firm that was sponsored by Botha. If he didn't share similar views to the Thatcher regime at the time then why go on this trip with people who believe in the exact opposite of yourself?

Terrorist to President quite a journey.

Yeah I think he has had a decent innings

or "Freedom Fighter to President"

I see. You have a good point then. It will be interesting.

Sorry, I thought it might have just been your Thatcher hatred thing doing it's thing again. ;)

No it's my Conservative hatred doing its thing :wave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Walk_to_Freedom

A long walk to freedom. A good read that one. Though a bit heavy going at times. Very political.

I remember being stopped in the street in London in 1989 and asked if I would sign a 'Free Nelson Mandela' petition. The 'Free Nelson Mandela' movement was very strong at the time. Wasn't there a song with that title?

I said NO. Although I believed in the antiapartheid cause, Mandela was in jail for being in possession of weapons and planing some kind of attack on the government, if my memory serves me correctly.

Looks like, from local news reports, that the family has been summoned "urgently" - seems he's on Life Support, and they are keeping him that way until everyone can get there.

Sad to see him go, but "nobody gets out alive". He had a wonderful, bigger than life, life. Should be remembered for ever, but likely to be forgotten within 20 years. Sad commentary on our "immediacy" fixation.

Other matters may well overtake him in most minds, though.

On the other hand, Thursday will always remember him! ;)

The night he was freed I was in Oxford and we went out to the Funky Chicken on Cowley Road (West Indian Restaurant) and celebrated late into the night.

One of our friends decided to hang from the High Road bridge and fell in to a flooded river and was swept downstream. I had to rescue him.

I will never forget the man or the date.

I know nothing about him The terrorist quote was from my time in SA

• 2 weeks later...