The FOOTBALL Thread (2013-2014)

I found this somewhere else, but I think it's 'well said':

----

This new thing lately in the media about players not being professional because they didn't play hard is quite bothersome, and shows a lack of understanding of top level football. I don't think it was ever a conscious effort by players to not give their all. Instead it was that extra little effort that wasn't there. And little though that extra effort is, that's the difference at the highest levels of the game. It's such a fine, tiny margin. If you're just half a step slower to react, or just a split second hesitation on a tackle, you often miss that tackle or 50/50 ball. Add that up for several players over the course of 90 minutes and it's the difference in a game. That's not the players thinking, "Oh let's half-ass it out there". That's the players not being properly motivated.

They need to want to run through a wall for their manager. They need to be willing to sacrifice their body for the good of the team at any moment without a moment's hesitation. To do those things you need to have bought in fully to what the manager is selling. If not, you can still go out there and still have your talent, score some goals, win some games, etc. But you need that motivation to run through that wall if you want to consistently play up to your maximum possible level. When you have two teams with loads of talent, that little extra bit is so often the difference, and we have more talent than all but 2, maybe 3 teams in the Premiership. What was the one game against the Top 8 teams that we won? Arsenal. And that was the only game against the Top 8 where we really had a lot of energy for most of the game (pressing the ball, going into tackles balls out, etc.).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even before we get those fixtures, let me begin by confidently predicting that it'll be out year.

I reckon Moyes has had a very easy ride in terms of press over the last 10 months.

Just glad he is gone and this big black cloud hanging over United moved on. I'm looking forward to the game at the weekend and what next season has in store.

David Moyes's disastrous reign as Manchester United manager will have been worth £7 million to the Scot in wages and compensation once his settlement is finalised.

Moyes, sacked by United on Tuesday after the 2-0 defeat at former club Everton on Sunday confirmed their failure to secure Champions League qualification, oversaw just 51 games in charge of the team after succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson last summer.

But the full cost to United of Moyes's salary is understood to amount to £7m – £137,254 a game – in order to honour the terms of his contract.

Moyes, who celebrates his 51st birthday today (fri), is believed to have been angered by the timing of his dismissal having learned of his imminent sacking via newspaper coverage on Monday.

With senior players becoming disaffected by his regime and key figures at the club concerned by results and performances in recent months, however, United's American owners, the Glazer family, finally patience with Moyes following the defeat at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Managers contracts need changing.

I don't know how, but there needs to be some kind of performance related thing in there.

This is not just a Moyes thing but we hear it time and time and time again don't we.

In what other profession do you get sacked for greatly underperforming, and even damaging a brand, but walk off with vast amounts of money.

It's just ludicrous.

Being rewarded handsomly for disasterous failure.

Bonkers.

Obviously the original 6 year contract was madness in the first place.

And hearing other managers pipe up in defence etc of other sacked managers.

Well, they're going to aren't they. It's hardly surprising.

"He needed more time".

What for? To destroy us more?

He wasn't being paid to come and slowly learn how to manage a top team.

I found this somewhere else, but I think it's 'well said':

----

This new thing lately in the media about players not being professional because they didn't play hard is quite bothersome, and shows a lack of understanding of top level football. I don't think it was ever a conscious effort by players to not give their all. Instead it was that extra little effort that wasn't there. And little though that extra effort is, that's the difference at the highest levels of the game. It's such a fine, tiny margin. If you're just half a step slower to react, or just a split second hesitation on a tackle, you often miss that tackle or 50/50 ball. Add that up for several players over the course of 90 minutes and it's the difference in a game. That's not the players thinking, "Oh let's half-ass it out there". That's the players not being properly motivated.

They need to want to run through a wall for their manager. They need to be willing to sacrifice their body for the good of the team at any moment without a moment's hesitation. To do those things you need to have bought in fully to what the manager is selling. If not, you can still go out there and still have your talent, score some goals, win some games, etc. But you need that motivation to run through that wall if you want to consistently play up to your maximum possible level. When you have two teams with loads of talent, that little extra bit is so often the difference, and we have more talent than all but 2, maybe 3 teams in the Premiership. What was the one game against the Top 8 teams that we won? Arsenal. And that was the only game against the Top 8 where we really had a lot of energy for most of the game (pressing the ball, going into tackles balls out, etc.).

I totally know where that's coming from, but still, it's mazui to contemplate them not giving absolutely everything all the time.

Lets see how they play at the weekend!

I don't know how, but there needs to be some kind of performance related thing in there.

This is not just a Moyes thing but we hear it time and time and time again don't we.

In what other profession do you get sacked for greatly underperforming, and even damaging a brand, but walk off with vast amounts of money.

It's just ludicrous.

Bonkers.

The Banking and utilities industries have been doing it for years. At least the uk peoples don't have to pay for Moyes' screw-ups.

Vidic has already agreed to leave hasn't he.

Rio is past his prime now, probably best to go.

As for others, we'll have to see won't we.

I'm sure grungy wants Ashley Young to stay!

It's just ludicrous.

Bonkers.

Obviously the original 6 year contract was madness in the first place.

And hearing other managers pipe up in defence etc of other sacked managers.

Well, they're going to aren't they. It's hardly surprising.

"He needed more time".

What for? To destroy us more?

He wasn't being paid to come and slowly learn how to manage a top team.

I don't know about this... Things don't allows work out the way we hope they do. It's not like he is being rewarded for failing, they are buying him out of his contract. I guess if you go down that road than all of the players should be taking a massive pay cut too. And some of them should probably get fired as well.

Players have too much power too.

There should be more performance related stuff in there, for sure.

United were silly to sign him in the first place.

So obviously out of his depth.

Anyway, I'm looking forward now. :dance:

Seems like a set up. Next 3 out of 4 matches at home to bottom of the table teams. If you win those everyone is feeling good but those are matches you should win anyway. I mean, I'm happy Moyes is gone from Everton because of how well we've done this season but Moyes isn't a bad manager. More and more it seems like he is being used as a scapegoat for bigger problems going on at the club. The timing of his dismissal is too convenient. It's too bad for Moyes because his reputation is in tatters, whether he deserves it or not.

I don't see many people denying there are other problems that need sorting - heck most fans have been blathering on about a few of them for a few years, like the need for a mid field etc. But, see, we won the league easily last year, even so.

I find it difficult for anyone to really believe he has not been bad for Man Utd.

You say we should win these last games. Yes, Man Utd SHOULD win those games. There's a very good chance we wouldn't have though the way things have been. Teams have been coming to Old Trafford thinking they can go home with 3 points and giving us a whipping. They sure didn't used to.

He has actually had a very easy ride re: media. Probably because he's English Scottish! He deserves more critisism than he has got. He'll be ok don't worry, he's an extremely rich man. If I were him I'd take a long rest and recover from his nightmare (and ours).

I don't see many people denying there are other problems that need sorting - heck most fans have been blathering on about a few of them for a few years, like the need for a mid field etc. But, see, we won the league easily last year, even so.

I find it difficult for anyone to really believe he has not been bad for Man Utd.

You say we should win these last games. Yes, Man Utd SHOULD win those games. There's a very good chance we wouldn't have though the way things have been. Teams have been coming to Old Trafford thinking they can go home with 3 points and giving us a whipping. They sure didn't used to.

He has actually had a very easy ride re: media. Probably because he's English Scottish! He deserves more critisism than he has got. He'll be ok don't worry, he's an extremely rich man. If I were him I'd take a long rest and recover from his nightmare (and ours).

Yes, you are right about that. And Everton have improved this season. Going forward, if we don't end up in the Champions league next season I'm really worried about what might happen to us. Other than a few tweaks, most of the performance has come from players that Moyes brought to the team,

As far as you guys winning the season easily last year, I seem to recall lots and lots of talk (from you as well) about how much worse you would have been had RVP not been there. Where was he this season?