The FOOTBALL Thread (2013-2014)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even before we get those fixtures, let me begin by confidently predicting that it'll be out year.

Or give me the high paying job.....I'll work for half what Moyes is!!

I am Scottish, which seems to have been the main requirement for the job!! ;)

I think Scottish and ginger are the prerequisites tubby!

Or give me the high paying job.....I'll work for half what Moyes is!!

I am Scottish, which seems to have been the main requirement for the job!! ;)

I think Scottish and ginger are the prerequisites tubby!

I have a ginger-ish beard and I often don't have a clue......seems I could be in the frame!!

you are indeed qualified, but you won't be able to cock it up like he has, so you'd get paid a lot less.

Oh I'll try really hard to cock it up more.....especially for that healthy bonus that all shite managers receive when being shown the door :)

Manchester United could be the subject of an incredible takeover bid – headed by the ‘Class of 92’.

David Beckham has already signalled his intent to start up a franchise in the MLS after pushing forward with plans to run a team out of Miami, but reports in Thursday’s The Sun claim that he is discussing the possibility of launching a surprise move to take over control of United from the Glazer family with his former team-mates.

Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and the Neville brothers, Gary and Phil, are believed to be involved in the talks, and while the claims state talks are far from advanced, the news will be music to United supporters’ ears as they endure a season to forget.

It is reported that the septet will front a bid that would come with significant financial backing from the Middle East, and while the Glazer family have insisted they remain committed to owning the club for the long-term, fans have remained persistent in calling for their exit due to the debt suffered under their tenure.

Interesting anyway.

Wonder if they'd sack Moyes?!

you are indeed qualified, but you won't be able to cock it up like he has, so you'd get paid a lot less.

Oh I'll try really hard to cock it up more.....especially for that healthy bonus that all shite managers receive when being shown the door :)

The massive bonus for being shite must be the thing all shite managers look forward to most. The shite-r they are, the biggeer bonus. It's only logical.

Ryan Giggs and four former Manchester United team-mates have agreed a deal to purchase non-league Salford City. (external)

Giggs, in his 24th season as a player at Old Trafford, is joined in the venture by the Neville brothers, Gary and Phil, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.

United player-coach Giggs, 40, said: "We want to use our football experience and knowledge to nurture young talent."

Subject to Football Association and Northern Premier League approval, the deal will be completed in the summer.

Gary Neville, who had his first United trial in Salford, said: "Salford City represents those early years, the commitment, hunger, enthusiasm, desire and spirit of football and I am very excited about this venture."

The former England defender added on Twitter: (external) "For clarity, [there will be] no name change, no ground change and management and committee as before!"

His younger brother Phil, now United's first-team coach, added: "It is important to safeguard the hard work that is done in the lower leagues and it is going to be exciting to be able to feed our experience into the young players."

Giggs, who made his 961st appearance for United in the 3-0 victory over Olympiakos on 19 March, is the only one still playing of the six United youth-team graduates who have come to be known as the Class of '92.

Along with former England captain David Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt and the Neville brothers went on to perform in one of the most successful periods in the club's history, having made their senior debuts in the early 1990s.

Under former manager Sir Alex Ferguson, United won 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, four FA Cups and four League Cups with at least one of those six graduates in his squad.

Scholes, who was born in Salford, said: "We know it will be tough but we will be committed to this from the start and have some very exciting plans going forward."

Salford are 11th in the Northern Premier League Division One North, (external) the eighth tier of English league football.

Not quite Man United

Manchester United's patience with manager David Moyes is being driven by an increasing belief that he was handed a questionable behind-the-scenes legacy by his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson.

Who was it again who sacked Fergies backroom staff? Oh yes, it was Moyes.

While there's definitely a case for saying that pre-Moyes there was a curious lack of mid-field buying etc, what we are seeing out on the pitch simply cannot be pinned on Sir Fergs.

Just look at the mans records, and look at what he did with the team last year.

:grandpa:

I looked it up and that's the league below the one FCUM are in. FCUM are currently top, but its very close with eight games to play. Obviously, the ex-ManYoo players couldn't have bought that club because its owned by the fans.

While it all sounds very nice, I doubt that much young talent gets nurtured in non-league football. Almost all promising young players are hoovered up by academies before they get to play against grown men. Probably the highest profile ex-non league player is Chris Smalling, who looks well out of place at Man United.

(Seamus Coleman looks very capable but that was the Irish leagues and the bloke who found him is clueless, bobbins, etc.)

city have 2 in hand.....no? assuming they win them, that'll be 6pts, so they'd be 2 ahead of Liverpool (they are 4 behind now, right?).....BUT Liverpool still have to play them, so if Liverpool win all their games, beating Man City as well, then Liverpool can finish top by 1 pt.......I think. Thats a lot of "so's" and "if's" though :lol: