I got thrown off of Dynaland yesterday - currently fuming

I wouldnt say offensive is fair ocean but I dont mind winding you up a bit. Its just that I cant take your posts seriously. You always get on here and carry on about how you know better than ski patrol and try to justify totally ignoring the guidelines but at the same time you admit to knowing very little about mountain safety.

Im happy to hear you are now interested in reading up a bit. Ski patrol are also very helpful Ive found. Try going into the office with a proper map and asking where they recommend.

I know youll say you dont want to hike blah blah blah but if you want to ride in someones resort you have to follow their rules.

I realise its quite possible to ride under chairs but there is a time and a place for that. Taking the attidude that you know best and nobady has a right to tell you otherwise will get you what you deserve which is a firm boot up the rear end.

by the way I dont wear underwear dude.

Had a great day under the lifts and gondolas at Nozawa today - some of the very best terrain and snow is there. 6 of us did one lift run 5 or 6 times and it was still good on the last run. Lifties didn't seem to mind.

peaker, not being of a sycophantic disposition, I don't feel the need to go creeping up to what are basically peons. When the snitty snotty, officious patrol perform some useful service, then I'll have some respect for them. And no, as usual you're wrong, I find I don't generally have to follow the rules, as they change all the time and are not enforced. What if I try going into the patrol office without a proper map and asking where I can ride that has nice steeps, trees, gulleys, and deep powder, say at 47? I wonder how it would go...

And peaker, I have admitted I know very little about mountain safety. How about you easing up a little on that essentially boring subject and admitting that your friends in patrol actually contribute very little in that way?

Japan has a governing body for aerial lift and tramways that stipulates a fairly low maximum height for the towers and ropeway.

I think it is just a part of the Japanese lift code that no recreation shall occur under the line, as I've never seen it allowed.

Other countries such as Candada and the States have different code so riding underneath is ok if you don't mind the audience and that's why you don't look down when you're on the Granite chair at Red Mtn. B.C.

Ocean 11-mountain safety is not a boring subject for me. Seems like you enjoy riding in terrain that is uncontrolled and potentially dangerous so you'd be best to take fattwins advice and bone-up on the facts, he knows what he's talking about. Patrol may be an overzealous pain in the arse and can overeact to the point of assaulting people etc, but that doesn't mean they're all wrong all of the time. Slides happen and people die-often because those people lack the proper awareness and are out of their depth.

I had to take a mountain safety course to wake up to that one. What you assume is safe may not be. If considering that makes me boring then I'm happy to be boring instead of dead.

You people are hopeless at reading comprehension aren't you?

I show an interest in mountain safety in one post, asking Fattwins about books, and in another I say it's boring. Now, what could you deduce from that? That I'm not interested at all? Or that while it's not exactly my main interest in life, I think it's probably necessary to know something about the subject? Especially as patrol are more interested in playing tough bobby rather than lolly-pop man.

Duh...

Ocean keeping riding and and improving. To do that means to push yourself. I ski, and will ski a lot of the same stuff that you do. Before you jump in know or think "what am I getting into".

Inside the resort think

-How much new snow during or just after a storm?

- Wind was there wind?

- From top to bottom do I know 100% what to expect on this run. Meaning slow down if you dont.

-how much do people ski here. The more tracks laid down, time after time bonds the snow. big storm excempted.

-If it breaks how many cms deep will it break off, can I handle that.

-remember that warmer snow is heavier, so 20 cms of heavy is pretty dangerous. " Cortina on that day, boot deep and heavy, you would not want to be in the OB that day. Out of resort bounds, in those conditions mean "get out of the mountains".

-Who are you sking with.

-In the trees stay together or know where people went.

-In real open stuff keep it space out, 1 at a time. First person cuts ,it second person does not cut on top of the first, waits till the first is a in a safe zone.

-Wear gear if you ski outside of ropes!

That day at Cortina was pretty heavy and there were some bits sliding down - but they all stopped after a short distance (being so heavy and wet). Also we had seen (from a lift) patrol trying to start their avvie in a much steeper gully but with no success, so we figured where we were riding was OK being not so steep or so exposed. It's not that I don't keep my eyes open.

So on that day, you didn't venture off the piste Fattwins? I'm curious...

Off piste really means Back Country. Really in those conditions if your climbing or sking it means get out. I dont mean inbounds roped off terrain. I consider that inbounds but closed. Be careful at Cortina some areas are slide paths. Look before you leap. I just want to hammer mountain knowledge. This year many people on this site are giving away too much. That meaning, some of the places we are talking about really, are not for begginers or mid levels. Also some of it is down right exposed to danger, being that its not controled.

So please dont say just duck under the rope you need to give it more thought.

Quote:
Go to Happo and you'll see loads of groomed courses that have lifts running right through the middle of them with no barriers. Ditto many other resorts.
I think you'll find that those lifts at Happo are within certain height regulations and are of a certain height and "made for" skiing under.