It works fine and responsive most of the time, but then at times it seems to get into this 'locked up' kind of phase. Not totally locked up, it's still thinking but it is extremely unresponsive and almost un-usable. It's as if it's busy doing stuff and if I click on something telling me to "go away I'm busy now, come back later"!!

This lasts for a short while (more than a few minutes, less than say 30 minutes), but seems to get itself out of that funk and goes back to being ok and normal.

It's about 3 years old and much used. I probably need a new one. But it seems ok most of the time.

Any ideas what these strange periods of bottleneck might be?

Is the fan going bonkers?

Might be an idea to turn off and give some of the vents a blow to get any dust out.

That might help.

Good luck.

Oh, also try turning it off and on again.

:)

Most probably you have background processes running which is slowing it down.

Goto task manager and check what is running in the back ground such as a software updaters which is usually not needed.

It is also possible you have a virus or spy ware which can cause this.

Do a full system scan first jist to be sure.

Two conflicting programmes can cause this problem too.

Check the hard drive light when the computer runs slow if you see the lamp constantly lit or almost constantly lit even when you are not doing anything then it means something is accessing your drive causing your computer to slow.

Any recently installed software could be the problem.

A badly fragmented drive could also cause this.

If the lamp for the drive is always lit when running slow it is a software, drive fragmentation problem or driver prpblem.

If when it runs slow the drive light is not really lighting much then most likely a process problem caused by a fragmented/corrupt registry.

In which case run a registry cleaner to sort out the registry which will help it run bettee.

If you got Norton it has both a registry cleaner, drive defrag and a process manager as well as a start up manager which allows you ro shut off certain processes.

Dont forget to reboot the comp once you have finished.

If you got Norton it has both a registry cleaner, drive defrag and a process manager as well as a start up manager which allows you ro shut off certain processes.

If you've got Norton as part of the pre-loaded software - my advice would be to ditch it, delete it, remove it and get any one of the free ones that work well.

I use AVG Free, and MalWare Bytes, in combination. No dramas, and no infections in over 3 years.

I have heard from others that Avast is also effective.

Norton is a POS!

I'm such a silly billy that even when I do have a look at what's running, I have no idea if its needed or if its spurious!! I don't know what to delete!! :doh:

Silly Billy!

I'm such a silly billy that even when I do have a look at what's running, I have no idea if its needed or if its spurious

A very good point, Mr Beaveninho.

Turn it off and give it a rest, then.

OR ... clean out the gunk, remove all the icons on the desktop that are not shortcuts (a folder on the desktop has to load every item in the folder onto the desktop during startup, a shortcut loads a tiny pointer to the location)

defrag the HDD, run something like RegCure Pro to clean up the registry and see how it goes.

Warning - the RegCure run will take a while if you've never touched the registry.

Yeah, there are NEVER any issues with a Mac ... Right!! :D

Almost sounds like some sort of sore point.

But anyway, now you come to mention it, I've not had any issues with my Mac since I've had it.

It is a pleasure to use indeed.

If you do end up not using your old one, don't forget to enjoy sledgehammering it once you backed up all your important data.

The more violent the better.

Take it out on the thing!