"Law-abiding citizens have nothing to fear"

Ah right the email tapping scandal of big government.

It's not really a shock tho...with all the tech we have and the nasty terrorists waiting to smash our way of life that our governments have installed a Police-like state over our communications. But it's only the criminals who will be affected, so no need to worry

The problem is that those in charge are also the ones who get to define the meaning of "law abiding" and "criminal".

That's true. But show me where the US administration are rounding up citizens and locking them away because of what has been found through Prism. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I was in China or Iran and they were using such technology (they probably are) but the US is hardly a totalitarian regime unaccountable for it's actions. Still they do have a history of persecution of people purely on political grounds for instance duing the McCarthy era.

I actually think that even if you're not a law abiding citizen you haven't got that much to worry about. At least when it comes to just everyday criminal activity. The 4th amendment probably covers you from being prosecuted although that may have to be tested in court. I suspect it's mainly focused on issues of national security. Of course the state does get to define what those issues are as well.

It's a fine line governments take between respecting individual rights to privacy and pursuing the interests of the common good. Governments have always spied on their own people so I'm not really sure why so many appear surprised by the revelations about Prism.

I've always assumed that what ever I do on the Internet is visible and available to "someone", hopefully that "someone" has no malicious intent. One of the reasons I think very carefully before I put anything on the Internet, not only can "someone" who it's not intended for access it, it will be there for ever, and I don't want something I say now to be used against me in 20 years. (no telling what the definition of law abiding is then)

• 3 weeks later...

I know you shouldn't find it funny because at the end of it all is a dudes neck in noose, but today has been nothing short of hilarious. I've been chuckling away at the news all day.

Look at my manly muscles! Justin Bieber takes his top off yet again for more shirtless snapshots showing off his baby six pack

Is any of that yours Steven? Gerrard left pushing trolley laden with suitcases while wife Alex saunters ahead as family arrive back in UK

I can't say I find it particularly funny, ippy.

Or am I looking in the wrong place!

You got that right :lol: But jesters seemes to get away with it all ( and get a fat pension after a short term) and even get listened to without getting their heads chopped off.

How long did Tom Hanks stay in that airport in that documentary he made a while back.

He certainly seemed to get on ok during his time there, for the most part.

I liked Obama's statement the other day, asking for other countries to remember they are part of the International community and should respect International law.... :lol: .....wasn't it Obama (as the head of the government, the buck stops with him) and his government who were running roughshod over International law and bugging and hacking embassies of their supposed allies?! :lol:

How long did Tom Hanks stay in that airport in that documentary he made a while back.

He certainly seemed to get on ok during his time there, for the most part.

He spent several months there. Built a fountain too.