• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ice, slush or wind are always just marginally better than saying F'it and sleeping in.

just get this done. We're nearing a result and then get cracking on the Magnificent Seven. Which of course need to be voted on to even get there.

Hakuba 47 21

Cortina 6 (-)

Goryu 24 (+)

Hmmm, it strikes me that I've skipped six -'s, which in theory enables me to wipe Cortina out right now.

But, I made my choice and I'll stick to it for this knockout.

Hakuba 47 21

Cortina 6

Goryu 25 (+)

If (when) Cortina does succomb, is that the contest over? After all Goryu and 47 are practically the same resort, connected at the top, on the same lift ticket etc etc

hey, powder fascists, its not always about the pow pow. Sometimes its about just how fun it is to get a solid fun run out. Ive always loved that little goryu/47, i can just enjoy it for itself. I dont have to love it for its powder, thats just a bonus to the place. And were i to have really got to ride it beyond my third season and actually had a decent chance to explore it, im sure theres a fair few spots you can sneak off to. That being said, it killed a couple of people last year so, you know... probably not the safest place to exit the resort boundaries.

Ive sent loads of people off to cortina while i went to tsugaike or just had a hell of a hangover from getting wasted the night before. Something always prevents me getting there, and without exception they come back screaming about "top 3 lifetime!" or"BEST DAY EVER!" I get it, im cool with that, its a great place. But theres no harm in coming in second for the entire hakuba district. Its pretty clear that goryu/47 deserves it just for the general delivery of a quality mountain with a decent ride to it. The only surprise for me in this entire thing (well aside the splitting of goryu/47) was that tsugaike lasted as long as it did. I assume youre all heli skiing or something, because, **** that place!

hey, powder fascists, its not always about the pow pow. Sometimes its about just how fun it is to get a solid fun run out.

It's ALWAYS about the powder. Cruising only the groomers is fun for about 10 mins....I wanna be ducking into the trees and getting face shots at least every 2nd run! I'm no extreme hiker either, I'm happy with the side stashes, but for me I want the pow days

hey, powder fascists, its not always about the pow pow. Sometimes its about just how fun it is to get a solid fun run out.

It's ALWAYS about the powder. Cruising only the groomers is fun for about 10 mins....I wanna be ducking into the trees and getting face shots at least every 2nd run! I'm no extreme hiker either, I'm happy with the side stashes, but for me I want the pow days

I'm with Tubby :thumbsup: , only I don't mind putting in the leg work to get the goods!

Cortina delivers waaaaay more than all the other resorts in the valley hands down.

Late season park sessions are pretty much the only time I touch 47 these days.

Let me make a case for not pow:

Pow is awesome in Nozawa in the following places: tanuki; ushikubi; schneider, basically all the parts you can think of; off piste, steeps, trees.

Pow is less than awesome anywhere that involves a decline of about 10 degrees (which a lot of the groomers are).

Ice is awesome: Skyline. Anywhere without moguls. A few of the off piste lines involving creek beds found scattered all about the place. Finally its also pretty damn fun in all those bits that are shit in the pow because now you can spend those shallow inclines flying up and down the walls or keeping enough speed that you can actually pop out of yamabiko and into paradise without quietly praying to the snow movement god to let you have just enough speed to pass, just this once. Its also great on most paths/cat tracks.

Ice is shit on all the moguled out places in nozawa. Usually most of the lines coming off the ridges (grand prix/schneider, utopia, ushikubi (cry cry!!!).

Slush is great: for ****ing around up the top of yamabiko playing with ground tricks and cruising along the creek beds. Its also great down the bottom half of paradise.

It sucks in the trees or anywhere ungroomed as it gets more wet. But everywhere else its a blast to just muck about, try new shit and not get hurt. Plus, unlike in peak season where theres two and half billion other people to dodge and queues that can be rather hefty, slush means usually thinnned out crowds, no lift queues and free open space to enjoy yourself.

Its also good fun for park if youre not planning on getting as much air as possible since the lines into jumps are a little slower so speed checking is at a minimum, the knuckle is a lot more malleable if you aint carrying enough speed, and should you bail, its less pain all round. Its just plenty fun to enjoy a day in the park or on the pipe if youre new to it.

All pow just seems snobby. Dont you guys actually enjoy snowboarding as well?

Dont you guys actually enjoy snowboarding as well?

I'll take the slushy park days in April and May for sure :friend:

As for riding icy groomers, s****y mogul courses, long cat tracks and stuff like that during peak season?.....Yeah, if nothing good can be hiked to on that day or I don't have my ride buddies, I'd rather just stay at home.

Save all that other stuff for the gapers!!