Doesn't look like anybody has mentioned it but you can stay at roadside stations (道の駅 michi no eki) all over the country. You can search online to find out where they are and what amenities they have. They should always have toilets and some have baths, shops and restaurants. It is quite popular for Japanese people to stay overnight in their cars/campers at these roadside stations. On national holiday weekends the car parks get pretty full. I would recommend staying at these places so that you have toilets nearby and don't have to worry about parking illegally. Some convenience store car parks have signs saying you will be fined if you park your car there over a certain time limit, especially in bigger cities.

I would also recommend getting some reflective sheets (mylar if you are fancy or el cheapo heat sheets from the hundred yen shop). You can place them along your car windows to get some privacy and keep the heat in. It is imperative that you keep your windows open and not leave your car running (you probably already know that). This prevents the buildup of CO2 (windows closed) and carbon monoxide (car left running). Leaving the windows open also helps get rid the humidity from your breath and help prevent condensation. Condensation will be your enemy. You will wake up with it frozen on your windows and potentially on your sleeping bag/clothing. The latter would be bad as you would be in for some seriously cold times. To stay warm you need to stay dry. You can buy some dehumidifying boxes of desiccant at the hundred yen store when you buy your reflective sheets to help with this too.

Getting your boarding gear dry might be a challenge too. Think sleeping with your boot liners in your sleeping bag. Maybe bring some DWR coating to freshen up the water resistance of your outerwear before you start and throughout your trip. This should stop them getting soaked in the first place so you don't have to put on frozen gear in the mornings.

As snowdude mentioned, be careful with big snow storms. It can actually get pretty serious. I think 6 people died in their cars during a big storm in Hokkaido this winter. One family of four was thought to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when the snow covered their exhaust pipe with the still car running.

It would be an idea to get a snow shovel as well as you will be digging your car out of snow frequently. You could also get some grit or kitty litter to put in front of your tires in case you get stuck in the snow and need some extra traction.

It should be an amazing time. When are you thinking of coming through Yamagata? Maybe we could meet up for some skiing/boarding when you are around.

Are you going to go touring or just doing lift served?

Doesn't look like anybody has mentioned it but you can stay at roadside stations (道の駅 michi no eki) all over the country. You can search online to find out where they are and what amenities they have. They should always have toilets and some have baths, shops and restaurants. It is quite popular for Japanese people to stay overnight in their cars/campers at these roadside stations. On national holiday weekends the car parks get pretty full. I would recommend staying at these places so that you have toilets nearby and don't have to worry about parking illegally. Some convenience store car parks have signs saying you will be fined if you park your car there over a certain time limit, especially in bigger cities.

I would also recommend getting some reflective sheets (mylar if you are fancy or el cheapo heat sheets from the hundred yen shop). You can place them along your car windows to get some privacy and keep the heat in. It is imperative that you keep your windows open and not leave your car running (you probably already know that). This prevents the buildup of CO2 (windows closed) and carbon monoxide (car left running). Leaving the windows open also helps get rid the humidity from your breath and help prevent condensation. Condensation will be your enemy. You will wake up with it frozen on your windows and potentially on your sleeping bag/clothing. The latter would be bad as you would be in for some seriously cold times. To stay warm you need to stay dry. You can buy some dehumidifying boxes of desiccant at the hundred yen store when you buy your reflective sheets to help with this too.

Getting your boarding gear dry might be a challenge too. Think sleeping with your boot liners in your sleeping bag. Maybe bring some DWR coating to freshen up the water resistance of your outerwear before you start and throughout your trip. This should stop them getting soaked in the first place so you don't have to put on frozen gear in the mornings.

As snowdude mentioned, be careful with big snow storms. It can actually get pretty serious. I think 6 people died in their cars during a big storm in Hokkaido this winter. One family of four was thought to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when the snow covered their exhaust pipe with the still car running.

It would be an idea to get a snow shovel as well as you will be digging your car out of snow frequently. You could also get some grit or kitty litter to put in front of your tires in case you get stuck in the snow and need some extra traction.

It should be an amazing time. When are you thinking of coming through Yamagata? Maybe we could meet up for some skiing/boarding when you are around.

Are you going to go touring or just doing lift served?

Hey Besniwod, thanks for taking the time for that advice. I forgot about michi no eki, they will be perfect.

desiccant added to shopping list. non toxic i assume?

i should be in yamagata start of january give or take a week. id be happy to meet up with anyone on my travels, ill be keeping everyone up to date about my travels no doubt.

id like to do as much touring as possible, im bringing my splitboard, powder board and freestyle board.

any advice on more touring spots?

Also for inexpensive places to sleep, some of the base stations at resorts have "rest rooms" that allow you to sleep overnight for a small fee, with the ubiquitous futon and pillow of pegs combo. Kagura springs to mind. Some onsens have a similar set up, you pay a fee around 2000¥ and you can use the bathing facilities and sleep in the common room on the futon n peg pillow provided. Sometimes these rooms are pretty busy and so a pair of ear plugs can come in handy

No worries man. I don't know if I will be around at the beginning of Jan yet but I am sure we can work something out closer to the time when I know what my plans are.

If the desiccant is anhydrous calcium sulphate (gypsum) it is non-toxic but you won't be eating the stuff anyway, unless you get the snow sickness and start believing that you can only eat things that are white. I will check what is in the one I bought from the hundred yen shop and let you know.

We could go on some tours through simple terrain when you are in Yamagata if you like.

I was trying to work out how many days per resort but I suppose that would be governed by snow fall/ terrain/who you meet up with, etc.

Meeting up with Beniswood or others would be advantageous to getting around more quickly and not getting lost. What a great offer.

My trip for 2014 is almost sorted /booked now but I have got leave pass (at moment) to do something like your trip in 2015. Got the idea from you and others. Sounds great, look forward to hearing about it

dont have a budget really, but last year i spent about $10-11k aud in 3 months and rode 74 days i think this year will be about the same, maybe slightly cheaper.

this year ill be spending more on lift tickets due to buying more day passes as last year i bought a season pass for nozawa and 50 hour pass at niseko.

ill spend very little on accommodation but that is offset by renting a car and petrol.

ill keep a note of expenses as i go so ill know for certain how much i spent for future reference if anyone else wants to try a similar trip.

any tips on coupons for discounted lift tickets? do i just check the websites of resorts or are there specific websites i can check to see if a place has a deal.