I want speakers built into the walls dumbstick, but I'm sure that'd be an expensive addon for whatever reason.

Was at our house this morning.

Asked the carpenter if I could hide the cable in the wall and he pretty much took a wall panel off there and then and got to work on it, and even added some wood behind the wall where the speaker will go to give it more strenght.

Cheers!

:)

• Like 1

Sounds good Dumb, I haven't done anything like that, but we do have a room adjacent to our living room that will be mainly used as an office so I may turn that into a sound theatre at some stage, Might!

It was good of him.

And they have been really good like that.

Only took him 20 minutes or so though, so it wasn't anything major. Glad I got on the case before the wallpaper went up. But it will be really nice having the speakers hanging on the wall and not having the cable dangling down on show, will look much neater.

I'm just hoping there's not a surprise bill at the end.

:doh:

I don't think there will be as I have been quite clear to the foreman that if there are any additional costs I want to know about them before to approve.

When I have asked about something that I know myself is a real 'ask', I have said upfront to please tell me how much it will cost to do this.

So hopefully no surprises!

In terms of what's involved, its simply cutting a speaker sized hole in the wall, reinforcing the surrounding and running a conduit from the hole to another covered hole in the wall where your amp will go. Reinforcing a hole in the wall can be done in a pretty tekitou manner with whatever cheap wood is lying around. We had it done for wall mounting a tv, but didn't end up wall mounting the tv in the end.

By comparison, putting a niche into your wall for a vase or something will be fiddly, it'll all need to be square, and there is lots of finishing work, so that would be much more expensive.

Yeah that was pretty much it.

Take off panels affected.

Add a bit of wood behind where the speaker will go.

Make 2 holes in the wall for the cable - behind speaker and near floor.

Put wall covering back on.

:friend:

Still, it's all time and asked for quite a few things like this. They could be much more demanding about it all, but have been very accommodating.

Our speaker will just hang on a few screws that will be put in once wallpapered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm looking for some soundbar or 5.1 action myself now because I've turned our Japanese room into a part-time home theatre. It's got a white shikkui wall and I can project up to 72" diagonal on it. It's well impressive!

Has anybody got a tatami home theater? Our screen wall is opposite the closet, so I reckon I should be able to hide the projector (and amp and rears if we go 5.1) in the closet when not in use. The wiring to the fronts or the soundbar can be run under the tatami.Any recommendations for a soundbar or for wood 5.1 speakers that would suit a Japanese room? The wood trim in the room is stained mid-dark brown. If I go speakers I'm tempted to get good ones on the assumption that they'll last longer than the amp. My main source will be a laptop connected via hdmi.

Well nothing that couldn't apply to a Western room, I suppose, but your classic washitsu, in the brochure at least, is kind of simple and natural and has very little furniture and no clutter. We've got a nice room, so it would be waste to mess it up with AV equipment and cables running here and there.

1_washitsu_1.jpg

That's our room, from when the house was built. I'm going to hide the projector, my old PC,a s/h BD recorder (main role as a cheap TV tuner) and rear speakers in the closet on the right. It's out of shot, but the wall we project onto is on the left opposite the closet. As it happens, I found a cheap Pioneer sound bar s/h and that should arrive in a few days time. I'll stick the subwoofer with all the connections in the corner where the light is in this photo. The HDMI cables going to the subwoofer from the PC and BD recorder will go under the tatami, as will the HDMI from the sub to the projector, the speaker cable from the sub to the soundbar, and the speaker cables from the sub to the two rears that will normally be out of sight in the closet. The soundbar will go on the little table in the photo moved to the screen wall. So from the angle in the photo, the floor light gets replaced with a subwoofer, but otherwise the room stays the same. No black boxes, cables or blinky lights.

We've got a white wall, but I reckon even if you didn't, a pull down screen attached to the ceiling wouldn't really spoil your room. If you use a short throw projector, you could get up to 100" in a 6 mat room like ours. We're only 70" or so, but even that is massive. Let's tatami home theater!