2013 version!

OK so 'sound bars' seem to be popular now.

Presumably just not as good as a full blown 5.1 system with 6 speakers.

And, is 7.1 much difference really?

Let's informations as I think about getting something.

My friend has this.

34888_12073_1.jpg

Yamaha. Looks and sounds incredible. Costs best part of 200,000 yen too. :doh:

You can go wild on these things if you really want. Can't imagine wanting/needing more than the sound that comes out of the above though.

I went to the new cinema in Bali last week and they had 7.1 it sounded pretty good but so did 5.1 yeah I just have a sony 5.1 $500AU and that works fine

If I were building a house like snowdude or dumbstick, things like this would most certainly be on my list.

If there's any money left over of course. :doh:

Right now I have a 5.1 Onkyo. It comes up with some good sound actually, was about 40000 yen if I remember. Can't give it anywhere near decent power due to my neighbours being attached to me.

Problem with 7.1, even more so than 5.1 is.... where to put the speakers??!

Obviously becomes less of an issue if you have a huge room to play with.

My friend has this.

34888_12073_1.jpg

You can go wild on these things if you really want. Can't imagine wanting/needing more than the sound that comes out of the above though.

Are you sure you didn't miss a zero in that price?

Actually one of the model houses that we looked at had a theatre room with big screen 5.1 Dolby surround in an sound insulated room.

When I saw that and had a listen I thought how nice that would be to have that.

Did not get past the thought stage.

My wife doesnt have the same appreciation of loud quality sounding music as I do plus we are 1.4 million over budget with the land strwngthening added in.

• 3 months later...

My friend has this.

34888_12073_1.jpg

Went with this one.

It's AWESOME!

:clap:

Bought the bits seperately and just over 160K. I had 30000 points, so I did a Black Mountain justification of it only costing 130,000! :thumbsup:

Mine isn't as impressive looking as that, but I had to get our carpenter to do a bit of extra work this last week....... wanted a wall mounted speaker and for the cable to not just be dangling down. Very kindly he did what he needed to do to get the cable going through the wall down to the floor. Will look much neater that way.

I have been thinking about buying a decent 5.1 or 7.1 surround speaker system, as we have a room adjacent to our main living room, they would all fit in there ok and I can close the door.

Once we move in maybe I will buy myself an xmas present, it would be nice to have a decent sound system.

I also need to buy a new Blueray/DVD player recorder so that would go well with a new speaker system for watching my movies on.

The ONKY are very very good. My mother in law had one, and when I listened to it it was beautiful deep crisp clear sound and that was years ago. The latest must be out of this world for sound quality.

I think if I go for a system I will go for ONKY, if it is not extortionately expensive as it just sounds so good.

I listened to Yamaha, they also sound excellent.

AIWA used to be really good sounding as well, but I don't know if that make even exists now or what they are like now.

AIWA where a cross between SONY and PIONEER for sound, there systems had the crispness of PIONEER but the deep bass sound of SONY, which made them sound really good.

The system in the photo looks great!

I don't really watch movies, especially modern ones, so I would end up just having to listen to my kids watching Doraemon at even higher volume.