• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wedding was Saturday.   The Bride and I at about 2am (Wedding was at 2pm) - we were both a bit messy by this time...

Wot u harvesting?   I did the old fruit picking when I was in Oz, melons and bananas were the hardest work.

If we don't get a dump soon all of June will have been a write off.

2.5 weeks till I'm up at falls, I hope there is enough to get 3-4 lifts going... If not I'm going to be hitting up the pubs for most of the time :-(

:omg:

If I don't get a dump everyday, I'm packed out......dunno how it would be without one for a whole month!!

2.5 weeks till I'm up at falls, I hope there is enough to get 3-4 lifts going... If not I'm going to be hitting up the pubs for most of the time :-(

If I don't get a dump everyday, I'm packed out......dunno how it would be without one for a whole month!!

Just the one TB I gotta have a few

I have been looking at the Falls Creek cams and they don't look very flash.

Fingers crossed for everyone.

Whats the long term forecast?

There's been a bit of discussion about that... But it is weather after all, it will be what it will be...

The long term forecast indicates more wet than normal, as long as the temps are cold enough that should translate to a decent (albeit late) season. If the temps get too high (piss off Global Warming) then it could be a bust.

Most places will have some runs open this weekend.

School holidays should be OK thanks to snowmaking even if the decent falls elude us.

Apart from that it is wait and see I suppose.

Just the one TB I gotta have a few

usually I can handle dropping the kids off at the pool just the once.....another time all the better ;)

I have been looking at the Falls Creek cams and they don't look very flash.

Fingers crossed for everyone.

Whats the long term forecast?

There's been a bit of discussion about that... But it is weather after all, it will be what it will be...

The long term forecast indicates more wet than normal, as long as the temps are cold enough that should translate to a decent (albeit late) season. If the temps get too high (piss off Global Warming) then it could be a bust.

Most places will have some runs open this weekend.

School holidays should be OK thanks to snowmaking even if the decent falls elude us.

Apart from that it is wait and see I suppose.

The waters around southern Australia are currently the warmest on record across vast regions. This means more precipitation due to more evapouration but will probably also mean milder temps. There's certainly the potential for big dumps of snow but also big downpours of rain. I think the higher resorts may do ok but lower slopes might really struggle this season with frequent rain at lower levels inhibiting the formation of a decent base.

Not really. As you probably know I majored in meteorology at uni for my science degree but it wasn't really because I wanted a career in it. Purely because I was interested in it. I did my entire degree without ever really thinking much about getting a job at the end of it. By the end of the degree though it was mostly just maths, physics and computer programming. The BOM actually prefer to get grads with postgrad qualifications in physics or maths and then just apply their knowledge to meteorological and climatological problems. I got a pretty good overall understanding of climate and weather but I was getting a bit lost in the complexity of the maths and physics by the end. I did pretty well in my final year but I just couldn't see myself at the time sitting behind a computer doing maths, physics and programming day after day for a career. Computers were only just starting to become really popular and I wasn't that used to using them. Anyway for grads entering the BOM back then the starting wage was only $35k pa. My first real job after finishing uni I was earning more than double that. I definitely only work to live not the other way around. I've never really had any expectations of actually enjoying my work as well.

I have used my knowledge a bit when I was in BC, Canada working for a heliski company. I'd get up early and help interpret the various weather analysis and forecast charts to try and determine where the best chance of decent weather for the helicopter would be for the day. I did NisekoNow reports for many years. And of course I debunk the pseudo and anti science nonsense from people like snowdude. Too late now to try and get a job in the field even if I really wanted to. I'm pretty happy with our current business anyway. Although I'm still struggling with the concept of living in Australia I do love our business.

And of course I debunk the pseudo and anti science nonsense from people like snowdude.

Hahahahahahaha!

What a complete idiot.

Same as the idiots that up to just a few days ago have been harping on about this stupid man made global climate change crap!

I noticed these idiots had a big meeting last week in which they now concluded that England along with many parts of the world will now have wetter cooler summers and colder snowier winters!

Even though these same idiots have been telling the world that the planet is warming at an alarming rate and all caused by humans!!!!

Now they are saying the exact opposite, even though they have been adamant that they are correct and know what they are talking about!

Now why the sudden change????

Could it not be:

1. due to the fact that so many places have been getting colder each year for the past few years and they know that.

2. or because they stole all of this information directly off of weather actions website, because they know what Piers cobyn has been telling them is true and the fact that he along with others such as myself have been exposing their lies to the world. With the exception of a few brain washed idiots most people have now stopped believing their lies!

3. or maybe it is both of the above.

It is also something I have been saying too for years now!

Thing is areas that are usually warmer can become colder during an ice age, some places become warmer, some drier, others wetter, but the overall pattern is a colder globe with more adverse cold conditions.

Starting to see the effects of an iceage in Japan actually as well as so many other places.

Summers recently have been drier and winters wetter in the form of more snow and colder, at least on the east side of Japan (last 3 years), while the west side has been average or below for snow fall.

It could be that the east continues to become drier in summer and colder and wetter in winter while the west becomes wetter in summer and drier in winter.

Or who knows the whole country may become colder and snowier, only mother nature will decide that, not us humans!!!!

But a change has been on its way and will continue to change, and not one single bit of it is due to human influence, not one bit!!!!!

Oh by the way it is actually on the chilly side here tonight and that after a cool day.

Supposed to be the same tomorrow and the next day.

Freezing level (could/might) be low enough Saturday afternoon / night for it to snow on Mount Fuji if precipitation falls during this period!

Yep they are getting blasted with tons of snow. The most snow on record in fact.

All while at the same time some ski resorts in France are open due to new snow that has fallen, which is sitting on snow that didn't melt from last season!

It is possible to ski both southern and northern hemispheres!

I see Mt Hutt ski resort iin New Zealand is closed because TOO MUCH snow!

Must be all this man made global warming that GN keeps going on about.

Hahahahshahshaha

I noticed off the coast of Labrador has the biggest ice clusters in 5 years.

According to Danish scientists who have been taken arctic sea ice measurrments by satelite this years is the most in 5 years.

The things you always fail to comprehend snowdude is the differences between regional seasonal anomalies and global climate trends. Still not one month since the mid 80's have we had a negative global temperature anomaly. Not one. Not one year since 1976 has averaged below the 20th century average globally. That's indicative of warming not cooling. If we'd had 30+years of negative anomalies I'd agree we're having a cooling trend. We've had the opposite. The temperature record is conclusive, we're warming not cooling. And it's not all part of a conspiracy. Remember the Berkely Earth Surface Temperature study? Funded by a 'skeptic' organisation and headed up by a skeptic scientist? They found that the temperature record used by the IPCC as evidence is very accurate. The BEST study is now the most accurate record of temperature trends and shows conclusively we're warming not cooling. I wish we were cooling but no evidence of it currently unless you do what you do and selectively pick isolated regions for limited periods of time and attempt to bring them altogether to paint some picture of a cooling climate whilst conveniently ignoring the bigger picture on a global scale. It may work for you but it's not scientifically sound. And the 97%+ of scientists who work in the climate field who've spent years of study and research on this subject (unlike yourself) don't agree with you. So you can find a few crackpots on the net who you agree with? I could believe that smoking doesn't cause cancer and I can find supposed scientists on the internet who'll back me up. So what? You really ought to just stick to things you actually have some small amount of knowledge about like teaching english or whatever it is you do.

Anyway enough derailing this thread with our debate.