Starting to cool down a bit in Southern Oz and thoughts turning to getting the stick/s ready for July /August.

I am heading to Un-Zed again for a few weeks in August , staying in Queenstown this time mainly at Cornet Peak and the Remarks with a couple of day trips to Cardrona and TC.

Have also booked a couple of days with Southern Lakes Heli ski. - Really looking forward to that.

Any others hitting NZ or Oz or South America? this season

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wedding was Saturday.   The Bride and I at about 2am (Wedding was at 2pm) - we were both a bit messy by this time...

Wot u harvesting?   I did the old fruit picking when I was in Oz, melons and bananas were the hardest work.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Stupid fekkin beach life. Who the hell needs 900 degree heat and 4,000,000% humidity? Not this jungle fearing snow cat! Have fun on your season, i hope you all choke on it!

...and by this i mean, have a great time... One of those two, either? Both? :)

:lol: Ippy!!

Yep Snowjunky...I'll be at opening weekend in the Oz Snowy's.

Wedding on the Saturday, learning to ski on what little snow is present for the following two weeks.

Looking forward to it. Can almost smell it.

Have gone the hero pass again this year for hotham and falls. Excellent value at $700 for the season. Should be up there for at least 10-14 days this year.

I am ski-bumming at Perisher for the season.

Ippy, I have a tent space for you next to me. But you have to be neat. ;)

Are you an Island bend camper?

Hoping to get down to Perisher/Thredbo this year which will be the first time in years and will probably stay (tenting) at caravan park too.

I have the perisher season pass again. Will be car camping at island bend again.

The big difference for me this year will be a lot more backcountry and solo snow camping on the main range, I am really excited about that. Launching from guthega and camping near carruthers or little austria.

Will be getting my daughter on skis this season. We'll be starting out on the x-country trails at Mt St Gwinnear as there's no entry or trail fees and is an easy day trip from where we live.

I have the perisher season pass again. Will be car camping at island bend again.

The big difference for me this year will be a lot more backcountry and solo snow camping on the main range, I am really excited about that. Launching from guthega and camping near carruthers or little austria.

Pretty exposed up there goziamaas. Don't underestimate it. I've spent weeks snow camping in that area previously but mostly in Spring. Just beware that the weather can change incredibly quickly and even if it's relatively clear in Guthega it can often still be complete whiteout on the western faces. Above 2000m even in Aus it can get pretty damned extreme. Careful where you put your tent as I've had a couple of occassions where we've set up on lee slopes and a storm has come in whilst we're out skiing for the day and by the time we got back to the tents they've almost been completely covered by drifting snow. Just don't underestimate the Main Range. It's completely different and a whole lot more extreme than the peaks close to Guthega and Perisher.

Will be getting my daughter on skis this season. We'll be starting out on the x-country trails at Mt St Gwinnear as there's no entry or trail fees and is an easy day trip from where we live.

Ah! Mt St Gwinnear - A magic place - I believe it may the Oz equivalent of Mt Granview. :friend:

Nice and conveniant to the 'Loch' GN

Wedding on the Saturday, learning to ski on what little snow is present for the following two weeks.

Wedding?? - are you finally tying the knot with PB after 17 kids/cubs?

Pretty exposed up there goziamaas. Don't underestimate it. I've spent weeks snow camping in that area previously but mostly in Spring. Just beware that the weather can change incredibly quickly and even if it's relatively clear in Guthega it can often still be complete whiteout on the western faces. Above 2000m even in Aus it can get pretty damned extreme. Careful where you put your tent as I've had a couple of occassions where we've set up on lee slopes and a storm has come in whilst we're out skiing for the day and by the time we got back to the tents they've almost been completely covered by drifting snow. Just don't underestimate the Main Range. It's completely different and a whole lot more extreme than the peaks close to Guthega and Perisher.

Copy that :thumbsup:

I will always have my camping gear with me and when weather permits I will trek out there. I will not be heading to jindy expecting to snow camp thats for sure. I might even set up guthega side of little twynum for my first adventure, then its just a short ride back to the bridge if things get nasty.

Wedding?? - are you finally tying the knot with PB after 17 kids/cubs?

:lol:

Funny Guy!

Not MY Wedding! Silly!! I married the man 24 years ago.

And it's the Sis in Law with the tribe (11) - I only have an heir, and a few spares ;)

I am ski-bumming at Perisher for the season.

Ippy, I have a tent space for you next to me. But you have to be neat. ;)

Are you an Island bend camper?

I will be staying at island bend early in the season depending on the amount of snow... and the ice on the road going to guthega.

And also thredbo diggings. the skitube is just around the corner from there..

I would like to learn how to do some ski touring this year if possible.. but do not have gear yet...

I will catch up with you somewhere during the season...

Ive never had a problem getting up to guthega in my 2wd. Keep an eye out for me and come say hello. Orange xr6 turbo ute with a big black box on the back. You cant miss me lol

Copy that :thumbsup:

I will always have my camping gear with me and when weather permits I will trek out there. I will not be heading to jindy expecting to snow camp thats for sure. I might even set up guthega side of little twynum for my first adventure, then its just a short ride back to the bridge if things get nasty.

That's a pretty good spot being reasonably well sheltered. Just remember you're not really supposed to camp within the catchment areas of the alpine lakes and Headly Tarn is on that side of Twynam. Not really an issue if you pack out your poop. If not, just make sure you do it below the tarn.

Perisher open on saturday but all the snow got washed away in a huge rain event last week. ATM they dont even have enough man made snow to open a toboggan run lol.

Falls Creek is supposed to open this weekend - but they don't have any snow. Not sure about other Australian resorts, but NZ resorts scheduled opening days from the middle of this month.