Baby in the toilet pipe, surely not?

Firefighters in eastern China have rescued an abandoned newborn baby boy lodged in a sewage pipe.

The infant was stuck in a pipe directly beneath a toilet commode, state television reported, in a case which has sparked anger on social media sites.

There are frequent reports in Chinese media of babies being abandoned, often shortly after birth.

The problem is attributed variously to young mothers unaware they were pregnant, the birth of an unwanted girl in a society which puts greater value on boys or China's strict family planning rules.

article-2331941-1A08DE2D000005DC-493_634x423.jpg

article-2331941-1A08DE08000005DC-921_634x423.jpg

article-2331941-1A08DDFD000005DC-602_634x393.jpg

I would like to get the parents responsible and bloody well flush them down the toilet!

People like this make me mad, they are not humans, they are scum plain and simple!

I would like 5 mins alone with these pieces of scum, because then I would give them the guided tour into human cruelty, they would be begging me to put them out of their misery!!!

I know this sort of thing happens all the time in China, but still when ever I hear this sort of stories, it makes my blood boil, how anyone can just flush away a child like its a piece of rubbish, its beyond me!

I know this sort of thing happens all the time in China, but still when ever I hear this sort of stories, it makes my blood boil, how anyone can just flush away a child like its a piece of rubbish, its beyond me!

No it doesn't. It happens then the Daily Mail reports it after the outrage in China.

All Chinese of course just turn a blind eye.

Do you actually know what's behind the story? Like a school girl raped, a factory teen worker supporting her family and not knowing what would happen if she had a child she could not support.

All speculative, but don't rely on the Mail for this one.

The news stories here were reporting it this morning - 'twill be interesting to see what the evening news do with it.

Obviously, more to the story than reported, but still a shitty way to start a new life.

Speculations in the morning TV news included "a girl who'd not realised she was preggers", an unwanted pregnancy (for whatever reason), or a woman who'd not realised she was that close to birthing. None of them explain why the mother was no longer in the vicinity.

It really is something when you have couples all around the world trying to have or outright can't have children... . We were lucky enough to have our daughter but man...it was after years of trying and we had just about given up. My wife's greatest sadness is still that we couldn't have another.

Oh...and I see this all the time in Japan. Maybe not as dramatic as finding a baby in a sewage drain but dumpster babies are quite plentiful. Maybe my wife should take up dumpster diving. :thumbsup:

I hear you loud and clear Chriselle.

After a 12 month wait to fall preggers with the first I was then a breeding machine - couldn't look at PB without ending up pregnant.

Didn't stop me losing two though.

However I had a neighbour who became a very close friend who had 16 miscarriages including two sets of 19 week twins :(

Half were natural conceptions, then the scarring was so bad she switched to IVF.

They tried to adopt but by the time they got there they were considered close to being too old and the cost was so prohibitive after the cash drain of IVF.

In the end they managed to get a set of twins to 28 weeks - so many drama's including both the kids getting cancer. However they turned 17 the other week :D

I wish she had been able to adopt.

So many unwanted babies around the world that could be united with desperate would be parents, and yet infanticide is writhe :(

So unfair!

So many unwanted babies around the world that could be united with desperate would be parents, and yet infanticide is writhe :(

So unfair!

I'm sure MB meant to type rife. :D

I hear you loud and clear Chriselle.

After a 12 month wait to fall preggers with the first I was then a breeding machine - couldn't look at PB without ending up pregnant.

You're not from Dundee are you?! ;)

Dundee women gotta be the most fertile on the planet, they walk past the door to the boys changing room and they're squeezing out a baby 9 months later

JA - Either that or just not proof reading...letting the fingers go fast along with the thought process.

I don't think in English (bizarrely enough) so editing is a must.

Ha ha, I don't think so Tubby. But Dad's side of the family are Scottish so one never knows ....

Evening news seems to have "found" the mother and an explanation - she didn't know she was giving birth when she went to the toilet.

Musta cranked out a HUGE one, to not notice, and ... too much information after that!

The mother of the Chinese newborn trapped in a sewer pipe in a stunning ordeal caught on video had raised the initial alarm and was present for the entire two-hour rescue but did not admit giving birth until confronted by police, reports said Wednesday.

The state-run, Hangzhou-based newspaper Dushikuaibao said police became suspicious when they found baby toys and blood-stained toilet paper in the 22-year-old woman's rented room, in the building where Saturday's rescue occurred in eastern China.

The woman, whose name was not revealed in state media reports, confessed to police when they asked her to undergo a medical checkup.

The woman told police she could not afford an abortion and secretly delivered the child Saturday afternoon in the toilet. She said she tried to catch the baby but he slipped into the sewer line and that she alerted her landlord of the trapped baby after she could not pull the child out, the state-run, Jinhua-based Zhezhong News said.

Article goes on to say she got pregnet after a one night stand, hid it from everyone, but did intend to raise the child, although she didn't know how. Not quite as bad as the Daily Fail reported